plan b: "grime is dead"

gumdrops

http://www.allhiphop.com/features/?ID=1798

AllHipHop.com: A couple of years ago, grime was supposed to be the next big thing in Hip-Hop. They were even two compilations released in America that had contributions by you on it. Now that it’s out of the spotlight, did you suspect it would fade out?

Plan B: Well, there was never any quality to grime. Garage, where grime came from, had a quality, because you had 40-year old producers that’d been doing it a long time. Grime is gangsta garage where motherf**kers are rapping gangsta lyrics over garage beats and because the whole culture was guns and knives and people getting stabbed and shot at raves, all the big producers got out of that scene. They didn’t want to produce it anymore. Then the music industry jumped on grime before it even had time to become anything good. Suddenly, you had all these 18, 19-year old kids who didn’t know about the equipment they was using and started making beats on their Playstation 2, burning their beats off of the computer and then onto vinyl. They weren’t mixing it or nothing. That was the production! Of course it’s gonna die out. Grime is dead.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Apparently he was misquoted and it was taken out of context etc etc

Apparently he listed artists he did like and said Grime is dead "to the mainstream"

Still doesn't make up for saying it never had any quality, and that raves were full of people getting shot and stabbed. Those are factual inaccuracies. The rest is his opinion which he is welcome to have.

gumdrops

probably worth adding he also did a track with JME and skepta recently too. im sure that is how he feels though. i wouldnt mind hearing him on some good grime beats. would make a change from that kt tunstall sounding production he usually uses. as long as he didnt play acoustic guitar on them that is.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In 1993 Kurt Cobain wore his 'Grunge Is Dead' tee-shirt.
In 2007 we have, er, Nickleback and Creed. Oh dear.

Garage, where grime came from, had a quality, because you had 40-year old producers that’d been doing it a long time.

HAHAHAHA

yeah grime needs more 40 year olds then it would be better.

gullyskengman

We at AllHipHop stand by whatever we put out, and hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards of journalism. We don't stand still when people mouth off in interviews and write checks they can't cash and then say they are misquoted. so without further ado....here's the audio

http://download.yousendit.com/A183200323B8B61C

I read this on rwdmag and thought I would share it with you all. When I read it I thought he might just be calling it how he sees it and was pointing out problems in the grime scene. But when he says that they misquoted him I think the opposite was actually done, because what you can not see by reading the interview is how angry he is when talking. Perhaps he is angry because he can't mc or produce grime ?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i dont follow the line of thought there with reference to grime

Heh, I was just messing about, I know nothing about grime.
I was just comparing what was said about 'grunge' more than 10 years ago and the bands that currently get that description applied to them.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Heh, I was just messing about, I know nothing about grime.
I was just comparing what was said about 'grunge' more than 10 years ago and the bands that currently get that description applied to them.

You do this a lot don't you?

Logan Sama said:
Still doesn't make up for saying it never had any quality, and that raves were full of people getting shot and stabbed. Those are factual inaccuracies. The rest is his opinion which he is welcome to have.

Just out of interest, does that mean that his claims that all the big producers left the scene because they had a problem with the culture feeling it was too violent? And that the levels of production went down because no one else knows how to use the equipment?

How valid, in your opinion, are those points?

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
You do this a lot don't you?

Just out of interest, does that mean that his claims that all the big producers left the scene because they had a problem with the culture feeling it was too violent? And that the levels of production went down because no one else knows how to use the equipment?

How valid, in your opinion, are those points?

who the hell are these 'big producers' supposed to be anyway?? so lame when people won't name names when they're making broad points (i'm digging at plan b, not you mate)

i thought that posting that mp3 was genius - ABOUT misquoted, cha. score one for the poor, embattled journalists. ;)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Well I have noticed that a lot of the older grime producers don't really seem to be making music anymore. That's why I'm curious to see what Logan thinks of it.

Big$hot, DJ Oddz, Jon E Cash, Alias, Marsta, Wizzbit, Narrows, Hindzy D... I don't think I've heard anything from Terror Danjah in ages either.

gumdrops

terror has a new track out - zumpti hunter i think. its really good. l man is crap but even his vocal of it isnt bad. theres also the aftershock album of course but well the less said about the better. bigshot is still releasing stuff (not sure how good it is though) as is wizzbit occasionally - he did that dark boy track on solja (which was more dubsteppy but hey...)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
terror has a new track out - zumpti hunter i think. its really good. l man is crap but even his vocal of it isnt bad. theres also the aftershock album of course but well the less said about the better. bigshot is still releasing stuff (not sure how good it is though) as is wizzbit occasionally - he did that dark boy track on solja (which was more dubsteppy but hey...)

Oh true, I completely forgot for a second there that Geeneus and Wizzbit were the same guy.