The Beastie Boys of Grime?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Black Ops were looking for girls to appear in some videos- "and we ain't talking music videos"- so perhaps girls in cages isn't too far away.

S

simon silverdollar

black ops' attitudes to women are so fucked up. it's not even excusable in the way that say, booty bass' misogyny is, where it's so over the top it stops being truly offensive. black ops just glorify rape. they're fucking horrible.

but back to the topic- i can't really see a grime beastie boys emerging that soon- in contrat to early hip hop,
grime seems much less fun, summery party music, and so i think there's much less chance of a beastie-esque version of it coming about

h-crimm

maybe there could be the CWA of grime...

CWA was cunts with attitude, non ironic pre-riot girl style rap small time group from late eighties...

i've been thinking about a grime 'band', it would be the avocado baby of grime, minimal... less twee... animal collective getting urban not country
bedroom black dice grime

J

jimbackhouse

simon silverdollar said:
black ops' attitudes to women are so fucked up. it's not even excusable in the way that say, booty bass' misogyny is, where it's so over the top it stops being truly offensive. black ops just glorify rape. they're fucking horrible.

have to agree - i thought that maybe, listening to champagne and hoes (spanish vip) that maybe there was some kind of humour or self reflexive irony there. the realisation slowly sinks in that i could be very much mistaken. it's very fucked up.

luka

they're not even good. jon e cash made a few nice bits but the vocal tracks are all shit.

dubplatestyle

the chorus to "bang bang bang" is hot, but, yeah, jon e cash is shit

arent they like some weird adjunct to the scene anyway?

cooper

dubplatestyle said:
the chorus to "bang bang bang" is hot, but, yeah, jon e cash is shit

arent they like some weird adjunct to the scene anyway?

the weird thing is that cash, chaps, charmzy are really gentle, soft-spoken people in person (at least they were when i met them).

they're definitely not a weird adjunct, except that they're from west london and most grime folk are from east (crews are from all over though - SLK is south), but "war" and "spanish" were big anthems for everybody and cameo works a lot with them.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
From a relative outsider's point of view, it really doesn't feel as if grime is developing along similar lines to hiphop, in terms of scene structure/arrangment/culture it seems to have a great deal more in common with English electronic music scenes eg jungle/rave etc or jamaican music esp dancehall (although of course grime is developing really unlike any earlier genre). So thinking those terms ('when will there be a beastie boys of dancehall?') I really can't see it happening too soon! :p

h-crimm

hasnt reflex already set itself up to nab the role of anticon to grime? the idea that people might conciously try to make a genre of 'intelligent grime' makes me feel quite dirty... could it get more boring than FWD style stuff?

mms

sometimes
h-crimm said:
hasnt reflex already set itself up to nab the role of anticon to grime? the idea that people might conciously try to make a genre of 'intelligent grime' makes me feel quite dirty... could it get more boring than FWD style stuff?

not at all i think, there is no suggestion that the2 comps they put out is more or less inteligent or whatever than anything else.
i quite like the fwd stuff, some of it, makes a change from young men shouting sometimes

mpc

wasteman
h-crimm said:

i find it rather.......intriguing how some people are suddenly experts on the grime and fwd scene after downloading a few dizzee rascal songs from soulseek.

h-crimm

i like a bit of shouting... afew more girls shouting would be good, preferably not from cages either...

i dont really kno enough about the FWD stuff so i'm just being ignorant really, it just doesnt seem so exciting, and just like back in the day hearing kid606 et al made me think warp and that was boring as hell, pirate radio sets make me feel like the whole appropriation by established 'artists' to make some 'serious' records is just not very exciting.
i kno thats not what the reflex grime comps were about but how long until reflex artists start doing grime inspired records? that would not be good.

theres also the age old argument about taking the name grime and attaching it to something which doesnt represent (to me) the vitality and fun in the scene, even if you like the record you have to admit its not the same music as 'boys luv girls'... plus that press release flyer that rephlex did? "we call it grime to promote to people not involved in the scene..." that flyer was patronizing suckage.

mms

sometimes
h-crimm said:
i kno thats not what the reflex grime comps were about but how long until reflex artists start doing grime inspired records? that would not be good.

yeah that would be crap

i like a bit of shouting too but i like some of the dubstep/croydon grime stuff, i think some mcs work much better over it , saw crazy tich and rico at forward once over a set by slimzee and that was amazing, rico really works over one of slimzee's sets, adds a weird synthetic off-world colony edge to him if yee see what i mean

h-crimm

yeah i like slimzee alot lot more than plastic man... and riko more than virus syndicate (or whatever theyre called)

mms

sometimes
h-crimm said:
yeah i like slimzee alot lot more than plastic man... and riko more than virus syndicate (or whatever theyre called)

i like that virus lp,the vocal tunes are decent, slimzee is a forward dj ya knoo, i've got a cdr of plastic at a top boy rave with n double and another mc over the top, that's wicked, ill see if i can try and put it on the net, i'll have to get a website tho.