Vainonymity

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Vainonymity: the process of deliberately obscuring your image to curry more fanboy curiousity in you

hp_scanDS_75514492126.jpg

hp_scanDS_75514504438.jpg

Snaps

snaps
Dubstep people tend to be more obscure characters than the grime ones. Although the grime people are more homogeneous in a weird way. But I'd bet they'd be more of a laugh than say spaceape. He'd just drone on and on and on and Gaviscon...

It is pretty stupid when you deliberately hide away I think, but it really does work to create a mythic presence. It's a myth you can see all over the place>>

-Keyser Soze
-Banksy
-Teddy Brukshot
-The suitcase in Pulp Fiction
-Prancehall
-The metallic armed cat loving villain from inspector gadget

mms

sometimes
Vainonymity: the process of deliberately obscuring your image to curry more fanboy curiousity in you

hp_scanDS_75514492126.jpg

hp_scanDS_75514504438.jpg

the argument doesn't really work with kode 9 and space ape as there are picks of em all over the net etc. but burial i get, also idm artists under diff names etc.

ripley

it does happen - and it is good marketing.

but also some people have day jobs and try to keep their lives separate. I gave up on that myself, but I can understand the reasoning.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Some people just don't like having their picture taken, I know a couple of people who hate it and are not happy looking at themselves.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Haha Must musicians probably need to these days;)

It's a serious thing! I know of one *band-that-got-into-the-charts* whose image was created with the intention - and need - to sign on at the same time. It's one thing keeping it real, it's another thing keeping it real

DJ PIMP

Underground Resistance.
Daft Punk.
Every Faceless Techno Bollox producer ever, etc.

It's got to be the cheapest shtick going and pretty boring nowadays (unless taken to DP heights), isn't it? I think it takes more balls/class to face up and say 'this is me', or more creativity to have a convincing and stylish persona.

Although I do like how the name becomes a brand where the only associations are that of the product - which lends itself to the completionist tendencies and object fetishism of ardent music collectors.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I do it, because I don't want my life at work accidentally colliding with my real life because people have recognised me. Plus other stuff too tedious to go into here.

m_2ff92df539105fcb3f0302b5998a040c.jpg

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I do it, because I don't want my life at work accidentally colliding with my real life because people have recognised me. Plus other stuff too tedious to go into here.

m_2ff92df539105fcb3f0302b5998a040c.jpg

I think the Metropolitan Police is a broader church these days John
;)

john eden

male pale and stale
I think the Metropolitan Police is a broader church these days John
;)

Heh heh. You will get me a reputation, Mr Bun.

Another thing which just occurred to me is that it could be seen as a reaction against "celebrity".

Not that there is any danger of that in my case, but you know what I mean. Kode9 and spaceape don't project their personalities or lifestyles or whatever as being important.

elgato

I just dont know
doesnt seem like kode9 is running that, given his photo appearing on the Grime II sleeve! with him is it not more just a playful thing?

it could be seen as a reaction against "celebrity".

surely!

and an attempt to have music judged on music, and to allow imagination to run more freely with the emotion or imagery drawn out by the music?

not to claim that this is how it should be, rather that its just an acceptable position to adopt, explicable in terms other than vanity.

and as for established artists adopting aliases, surely it goes without saying that they want to explore how their music is received away from their 'brand', again, completely understandable...