Newham Generals

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Seems like they're getting alot of love on here at the moment so I thought I'd reprise Gumdrops post

nicked from the rwd site - newham gens from this sunday
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qycids
some of the beats on this are quite stunning. i think tubby plays mostly dubstep now though.

I dunno bout you, but I haven't listened to anything lese since I heard this, it's just one of the best sets I've heard in ages, the Generals seem to have really ramped it up.

benjybars

village elder.
They ALWAYS merk FWD, they ALWAYS merk radio.. they are pretty much professional merkers!

Footsie gets the award (along with slicks perhaps) for most improved MC of the last couple of years.

Having said that i can't stand munskter..

Footsie gets the award (along with slicks perhaps) for most improved MC of the last couple of years.

footsie gets the award for one of the best mc's in the scene full stop. his bars are consistently there, delivery also, and he knows how to murk! plus he looks like a fisherman so bless

its a shame the newham generals are hardly ever billed to mc/tubby to dj - they usually just turn up anyway - just seems like a lack of love though

benjybars

village elder.
its a shame the newham generals are hardly ever billed to mc/tubby to dj - they usually just turn up anyway - just seems like a lack of love though

yeah it's true.. it was funny how everyone was so hype when dizzee turned up a few weeks ago but to be honest footsie & double merked it more.. they blatantly deserve billing.

boomnoise

♫
footsie gets the award for one of the best mc's in the scene full stop. his bars are consistently there, delivery also, and he knows how to murk! plus he looks like a fisherman so bless

there are reasons for that.

but catch them down my night on the 12th - dubstep changed my life

tubby with dee and foots. it will be a lot!

/plug over

nomos

Administrator
thanks for the link mistersloane! i had a newham gens fwd set that got aired on rinse in the fall but stupidly deleted it. this will ease the pain.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
there are problems putting any grime MC name on a flyer these days, thanks to the Met.

It's all gone a bit Guiliani innit? One of those crackdown waves, Fire in Vauxhall was raided n there's all that stuff going around about Shoreditch bein warned to cool off.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I hear the Newham Generals are going to embark on another mini-tour with Dizzee Rascal to coincide with the latter's forthcoming album release. I dunno, an "album" from them has been on the back burner for so long now it's bound to go off the boil. It's really frustrating really.

I hear the Newham Generals are going to embark on another mini-tour with Dizzee Rascal to coincide with the latter's forthcoming album release. I dunno, an "album" from them has been on the back burner for so long now it's bound to go off the boil. It's really frustrating really.

yes its frustrating but only because they are the one crew who consistently bring both energy and skill to almost every endeavour, be it radio, producing, raves. DEE could sneeze for an hour and i'd still buy the mixtape - im not sure i want an album from them
though - i want something raw-ish, not to prettied-up - on another tip Footsie's been getting well into the rastaman thing hasnt he? im loving it - just listened back to the FWD mp3's and my god he murked it over Skepta on decks

gumdrops

im starting to wonder just good an album from NG could really be? i downloaded their show from the other day and apart from 1 or 2 songs it just seems like it might be loads of tediously over-dark stuff with uninspired non-stop gun threats over it (and munksta is just terrible - i would actually get rid of him if i were them)... this track called 'bell them slice' (is that the name? lol) is quite good though. i wonder if cage will be helping them produce it. i hope they vocal the scars 2 beat.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
im starting to wonder just good an album from NG could really be? i downloaded their show from the other day and apart from 1 or 2 songs it just seems like it might be loads of tediously over-dark stuff with uninspired non-stop gun threats over it (and munksta is just terrible - i would actually get rid of him if i were them)... this track called 'bell them slice' (is that the name? lol) is quite good though. i wonder if cage will be helping them produce it. i hope they vocal the scars 2 beat.

tubby's sets are like 90% dubstep now (see blackdown's column), which i think is a shame.

gumdrops

i didnt mean the beats they rap over, i meant the actual vocal tracks at the beginning of the show (they do actually fit that boring structure plasticman was talking about in the blackdown column - same as 50/50 which is another example, its why i prefer something like no qualms as the format is played with a bit more)... i think newhams sound good over dubstep really, and they make the tracks sound better too. although some more uptempo beats wouldnt be a bad thing...