Last night @ Dingwalls - Jah Shaka Zulu Warrior!!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Shaka

So I gotta take a film guy out from Toronto today, and he says he wants to see 'video art'. I thought I'd take him to sound art instead, and get him down Shaka. If I manage it, I'll be the one in the Jah Division T-shirt

mms

sometimes
So I gotta take a film guy out from Toronto today, and he says he wants to see 'video art'. I thought I'd take him to sound art instead, and get him down Shaka. If I manage it, I'll be the one in the Jah Division T-shirt

where's shaka playing? the rocket?

john eden

male pale and stale
Dingwalls

http://www.jahshakasoundsystem.com/

1646123634c63d9102824748.jpg

blubeat

blubeat
Normally I go to church on a Sunday morning. Yesterday church was in the evening, the place of worship was Dingwalls (Camden, London) and leading the congregation was Jah Shaka. It was a dance that is worthy of more praise then I can give but I owe some thanks!

This was part II of the recent Shaka dances at Dingwalls and one of several which form the "Abolition of Slave Trade tour". Shaka dances are bountiful once more - I have been to four in a year and two in as many months - after the long drought that followed "The Fire".

I hang out on Blood & Fire forums and the Shaka Yahoo! group and I get tired of the haters who complain Shaka doesn't chat, he doesn't do this, or play that, etc. Last night he completely smashed it. He didn't just "chat" on the mic he chatted and chatted and sang and sang from start 'til finish. Soundsystem was heavy, very loud, very tight and killer heavyweight low-end even for a seasoned (old!) Dub/Dubstepper.

Vibes in the dance were as good as ever but we were all aware that this is one the last Shaka dances before the smoking ban. A portion of goat curry with rice and peas helped me keep going along with a few bottles of Red Stripe. Serious reggae business!!

Shaka played a massive selection of heavy heavy steppers and old and new roots selection. I will try to decipher some of the text messages I sent myself and add to this post a selection of tunes played.

Next year I will have been attending Shaka dances for no less than twenty years! In 1988 I heard Andrew Weatherall and Jah Shaka play DJ sets in London and they layed a criss-crossing path that I have followed ever since. The Steppers selection last night was so heavy I could have been listening to techno in the old Drum Club (which I was lucky enough to go to) or Sabresonic (which I was lucky enough to play at) or Pinch @ DMZ. It was heavy!!!!

Big up Shaka. Big up Nicky and all at Culture Promotions. Big up all the DJ's, Producers and sound men. Your chests!

I now have to choose next Saturday between the "Dubstep saved my life" event and going to see Shaka (again!) in Bristol. There is worse things in life than having to make decisions like that! :)

dsfdcmlpw4.gif

or

1646255e25ba8b9911553621.jpg

(sorry to everyone else for this ramble but it was a very good night and I'm still a bit mashed!)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I was headed to go then got erm derailed but I'll be at the next one. Before the smoking ban lol. I heard it wasn't as good as the last Dingwalls one but from your description I don't believe that!

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Was a heavy session last night - my first time at a Shaka dance. Amazing night, he has massive presence at the controls.

blubeat

blubeat
I heard it wasn't as good as the last Dingwalls one but from your description I don't believe that!
There wil always be people that dont get the same level of enjoyment as others for one reason or another. I was at the front the whole time watching him on the mic - at one point he was *almost* facing the crowd! Don't think I have seen him so animated for years. I think I have actually got shin splints from jumping up and down so much. I would so love to take pictures and I did ask Culture Promotions if I could but it's still strictly "no photography".

BTW, big up to the moderator who managed to insert my post into the existing Shaka thread. I scanned but I did not see it.