KTL - Peter rehberg and Stephen O'malley

mms

sometimes
The second part of this meeting of minds between pita and sunn bloke is really really good, one really ecstatic melodic noise buzz, one really raga ish metal guitar drone, not finished it yet but really into it.

john eden

male pale and stale
I got the first one and enjoyed that but just haven't had the chance to listen to it very much. They are doing some gigs, aren't they?

mms

sometimes
I got the first one and enjoyed that but just haven't had the chance to listen to it very much. They are doing some gigs, aren't they?

yep end of may in the luminarie, this second one is massivley better than the first, really good stuff.

vimothy

yurp
I'm not into Sunn but Khanate absolutely ruled my world (gutted that they spit). I like Pita as well so might hunt this down.

straight

wings cru
have you listened to the recent sunn records? the early stuff is a little schlocky but white2/black1 are face melting good.
they're touring around the end of may but are playing in manchester the same night we've got diplo on booo! they're playing sonar as well so i'll catch them then, getting double doses them of considerin sunn and haswell/hecker are playing too. doomtastic!

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
have you listened to the recent sunn records? the early stuff is a little schlocky but white2/black1 are face melting good.
they're touring around the end of may but are playing in manchester the same night we've got diplo on booo! they're playing sonar as well so i'll catch them then, getting double doses them of considerin sunn and haswell/hecker are playing too. doomtastic!

yeah i like black and white and the first two and really liked the one with boris and i liked khanate and all the other stuff. this is different though, it's as if they're pushing each other in directions they've been thinking about for ages but not much had the freedom or trust to do.
have you heard oren ambarachi's album on touch, grapes from the estate, kinda related, absolutley stunning record.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah, I enjoyed this a lot. At one point, it starts to sound like a tape being fast-forwarded, and it started screwing with my head quite a lot. But in a good way.

mms

sometimes
Yeah, I enjoyed this a lot. At one point, it starts to sound like a tape being fast-forwarded, and it started screwing with my head quite a lot. But in a good way.

is that the first track, where its all digital but it's got that fuzzy death metal pounding rain buzz, discordant and harsh noise, but weirdly ecstatic and quite melodic?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah. Bloody odd innit?

On a slight tangent, has everyone got a metal side project these days? Oren Arbarchi has got one, and he usually does really placid guitar ambience. I'm sure I must have one somewhere too.

mms

sometimes
Yeah. Bloody odd innit?

On a slight tangent, has everyone got a metal side project these days? Oren Arbarchi has got one, and he usually does really placid guitar ambience. I'm sure I must have one somewhere too.
he played with sunn early on and a few other bands i think.
there is a whole crossover with the mego lot and metal, there was that mego kevin drumm record sheer hellish miasma a few years back which in a way preempted what sunn do now i reckon.

Octopus?

he played with sunn early on and a few other bands i think.
there is a whole crossover with the mego lot and metal, there was that mego kevin drumm record sheer hellish miasma a few years back which in a way preempted what sunn do now i reckon.

"Sheer Hellish Miasma" is a stone cold classic. Really enjoyed Drumm's disc with Lasse Marhung "Frozen By Blizzard Winds" that was essentially stripped Black Metal down to its absolute raw form, all ambience, hiss and silence with skeletal electro-improv tendrils creeping around the sides.

straight

wings cru
i think john wiese's influence really makes black 1 their best, it seems that stephen o'malley and greg anderson are actually developing significantly as artists from the exposure they've had in the improvised/experimental music community. they seem to be thrashing about looking for a direction on the first few records but the quality of their output has gone up significantly since theyve started working with guys like ambarchi and tom recchion

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Just to add the new KTL is very very good... much better than the first one as MMS says, more subtle, more listenable, bleaker, with greater dynamic range (especially "Theme" which is like rave re-constituted by black metallers as grim-ambient).

I like that Kevin Drumm record "Sheer Hellish Miasma", but I fail to see what makes it unique, as most critics seemed to think. Asides from it having a buttock clenchingly loud mastering job done on it (which is fine cos its noise...)