beastie boys - vs fat boys

mms

sometimes
what do people think about the beastie boys?
i loathe them, a novelty act who got above their station, and all the mid 90's stuff and funk jams are well embarrassing, plus they can't rap.

The best thing about them is their mag.

On the other hand, the fat boys were a novelty hip hop act that worked, they had skill and they were enormous fun, plus buff was an awesome human beatbox, hip hop could seriously do with some genuine clown princes sometimes i think, they went downhill but they weren't like the beasties who tried to act serious and looked dumb.
what you think?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
i loathe them, a novelty act who got above their station, and all the mid 90's stuff and funk jams are well embarrassing, plus they can't rap.

The best thing about them is their mag.

Agree 100%. That spat they had with the prodigy in the mid 90s over 'Smack My Bitch Up' was a nadir of pompousness, and I don't even like the prodigy.

swears

preppy-kei
Who cares if the Beasties can't rap, but they've made a handful of great singles in their time: Fight for your Right, Shake Your Rump, Rootdown, Sabotage, Intergalactic...
I couldn't give a toss if they're not real hip hop or whatever, those tracks are FUN.

EDIT: Haha, total xpost with sodium, I think a lot of people must share this view.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i think it'd be different if they thought they were "proper," but i get the feeling that they don't, the know they're three totally lame guys. I mean, sabotage! That's all i need to say.

JP Nut

Wild Horses
agree with the stuff about them making some great tunes and not taking themselves seriously.... and i could name a dozen more tunes that get repeat play in my house.

not sure about the "not proper" hip hop thing though.

but then i'd like to see a definition of what constitutes proper hip hop!

mms

sometimes
agree with the stuff about them making some great tunes and not taking themselves seriously.... and i could name a dozen more tunes that get repeat play in my house.

not sure about the "not proper" hip hop thing though.

but then i'd like to see a definition of what constitutes proper hip hop!

but they do take themselves seriously, they're totally pompous and claimed that licenced to ill, which is their only ok album was a joke! Then there was all that tedious buddhist stuff and those awful funk jams..
they don't make great tunes, they have good samples in a few of their later tunes but anyone else would have made good songs out of them, sabotage the track is just a funk metal track.

The thing is they're taken seriously by hiphop people, which is weird as the far superior novelty act the fat boys , who started off as a semi serious group aren't.

People saying they weren't hip hop are missing the point that for alot of people they defined a credible entry point for hip hop music for alot of people, which for me just seems entirely off key especially as they're a kind of parody or tribute to early hip hop

Last edited:

Alfons

Way of the future
I used to love the Beasties, Ill Communication, Root Down and Check Your Head. My brother was a huge fan, used to know their lyrics by heart when he was 8 and didn't even speak proper english... In latter years I've come to dislike them though (Hello Nasty and everything since that), think their voices and lyrics are annoying and don't really find them funny.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
but they do take themselves seriously, they're totally pompous and claimed that licenced to ill, which is their only ok album was a joke! Then there was all that tedious buddhist stuff and those awful funk jams..
they don't make great tunes, they have good samples in a few of their later tunes but anyone else would have made good songs out of them, sabotage the track is just a funk metal track.

The thing is they're taken seriously by hiphop people, which is weird as the far superior novelty act the fat boys , who started off as a semi serious group aren't.

People saying they weren't hip hop are missing the point that for alot of people they defined a credible entry point for hip hop music for alot of people, which for me just seems entirely off key especially as they're a kind of parody or tribute to early hip hop

I'm no that interested in them, but early Def Jam Beasties ( Slow and Low, Hold it Now Hit It, Paul Revere, Brass Monkey ) were all massive, massive hiphop tunes, real hiphop tunes, and well respected, and rightly so.

daddek

I have a lot of love for their early, minimal drum machine stuff.. hello brooklyn, high plains drifter, 3-minute rule, 59 chrystie street, mike on the mic, awol, posse in effect, paul revere (SICKest beat). time to get ill.. And from the above, the paul's boutique tracks often had a great, dubbed out, stoner ambience to them. Always loved that "cookie puss" tune from some ol bullshit, on a pubescent, immature post-punk tip.

But I can't stomach much of their blatant party stuff, e.g. "root down", "intergalactic". Frat boy muisc, it's about as fresh as ugly fucking duckling :mad:

For all their faults, i don't begrudging their continued existence.

edit: the iritated smillie is getting mad about u.d., not beasties.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I'm no that interested in them, but early Def Jam Beasties ( Slow and Low, Hold it Now Hit It, Paul Revere, Brass Monkey ) were all massive, massive hiphop tunes, real hiphop tunes, and well respected, and rightly so.

yeah they're the best stuff, weirdly disowned by them as a joke, there is one 12" with russell simmons on the b side pissed up over an 808 going on about making load of money that is funny as hell.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I still listen to the first two albums occasionally---the rest are worth zero. Maybe it's worth returning to the Fat Boys, havent heard them since elementary school ...

CRUSHIN'

Fat Boys aka Disco 3 were awesome, real talent and entertainment.

Beastie Boys were the rap band it was ok for white rock guys with little fuzzy chin beards to like.
Some good beats on their early tracks but uniformly awful MCing.

But I quite like Drum Machine by MCA & Burzootie...... and the comedy stuff was good.
I went to see BB in 1991 and was gutted they didn't do anything off the first album, just all that boring paul's boutique stuff.

MMS I'm surprised you can bear to mention the Fat Boys after years of merciless haranguing from a mutual acquaintance of ours (got some good bars from him on DAT round at my house)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hey, come on, let's put things in perspective here - at least they're not *spits* The Bloodhound Gang.
(The Beasties, I mean.)

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
I love the Beastie Boys, mainly for Check Your Head. I know that Pauls Boutique usually gets cited as their best, but I'm not mad on it, but for me CYH is the last great sprawling, genre crossing album maybe ever, worthy of comparison to Exile on Mainstreet or Double Nickels on the Dime. Recorded grainy live and direct the way records should be, with a band who are enough in love with different genres to mix them up, and with the instrumental chops to pull it off. I like the earlier albums and Ill Communication too. Hello Nasty and the last one aren't so essential but still had plenty of good tunes. I think they get hated on for the glossy mag twat/Nathan Barley section of their fanbase, but not by me.

The new album is, according to a recent interview, going to be all 'post punk instrumentals', with PIL, Gang of Four and Killing Joke cited as influences. I'm champing at the bit to hear it.

Nothing wrong with the Fat Boys, but I like the Beasties, at their best, a lot.

petergunn

plywood violin

says who?

there's a great quote from Biggie on the soundtrack LP to "The Show" where talks about how all he had when i was a kid was a little boombox and a Fat Boys tape...

altho their later stuff is corny, their first two LPs, expecially the first one, are very solid hip hop records and are def respected by hip hop people... "stick 'em" gets sampled on the Method Man/Redman song "blackout" (erik sermon production i think...)...

also, their Wipeout track w/ the Beach Boys is very fun to mix w/ the Wipeout Riddim!

JP Nut

Wild Horses
the early beastie stuff was never "disowned", all they did was admit that they were mucking about and that it got out of hand.

following licensed to ill..... you've got to remember that pauls boutique was released almost 20 years ago and at the time was a masterclass in chopping up breaks and twisted production.

hip hop heads acknowledge them because amongst other things they blew the door wide open.

personally i think they are bloody ace. i have never had a beard or qualify as a frat boy.

for the record i think ill communication is their best album with "the scoop" being a highlight.

grand royal is the best music related magazine i have ever read. funny, informative and self indulgent.