Memphis Underground

john eden

male pale and stale
I really enjoyed it, but:

a) Stewart is a mate
b) It mentions me briefly.

It's a great Stewart Home novel, tho - combines all his obsessions and manages to be experimental and a bit headfucking without becoming too bonkers and inaccessible.

Lots of good stuff about music, the gentrification of london, pisstakes etc.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
not read it yet....fab novelist (69 things to do with a dead princess is my favorite)*
as you say experimental in a playful and witty way.

*introduced me to Ann Quinn for one thing.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Fabulous novelist (69 things to do with a dead princess is my favorite*)
like you say experimental in a playful way.
Waterstones in Manchester hadn't bothered to order a single copy! (hence I haven't read it yet)

*introduced me to Ann Quinn for one thing.

john eden

male pale and stale
Time-Out.jpg

31 MAY 2007
Koenig Books, 80 Charing Cross Road, London W1. 7-9pm. Free
Stewart Home reads and performs with Paul Buck, NO BRA, Cedar Lewisohn and Andrea Mason. This is the London launch of issue 3 of the paperback format magazine "Frozen Tears".

30 MAY 2007
Utter Club, Salisbury Hotel, 1 Grand Parade, Green Lanes, London N4 1JX. 8pm.
Stewart Home and Tim "Bilko" Wells read their work.

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing I forgot to say. Did you find that the last half of the book had been very badly edited? Loads of spelling mistakes and words missed-out. I guess that some might argue that was more experimentation but I'm not sure.

STN

sou'wester
I started this yesterday. So far I'm completely gripped by it and will be sloping off to read more on my lunchbreak. It reminds me (no doubt deliberately) of Vermillion Sands by JG Ballard and Trawl by BS Johnson.

The first half is also quite badly edited, not in terms of spelling mistakes but in terms of phrases which should (strictly speaking) be hyphenated but aren't and phrases which shouldn't be but are. I'm wondering the same thing - experimentation by the author or oversight on the part of the publisher? Either way, it hasn't spoiled the book for me.