Good broken beat stuff

Alfons

Way of the future
I bought the Landslide Medical History mp3 album from hospital records and have been getting into that broken beat vibe but I don't really know to many of the artists or the history of the stuff. Bugz in the Attic, 4 Hero and then the hospital stuff is pretty much all I know. I like the points where broken beat and garage connect like some of the stuff of the Roots of Dubstep compilation (maybe Im just making those connections up?) but I also like some of the more live feeling stuff with the soulfull vibe.

Looking for recommendations on good artists, releases and labels. What should I check out and is the genre worth checking out in general?

viktorvaughn

I bought the Landslide Medical History mp3 album from hospital records and have been getting into that broken beat vibe but I don't really know to many of the artists or the history of the stuff. Bugz in the Attic, 4 Hero and then the hospital stuff is pretty much all I know. I like the points where broken beat and garage connect like some of the stuff of the Roots of Dubstep compilation (maybe Im just making those connections up?) but I also like some of the more live feeling stuff with the soulfull vibe.

Looking for recommendations on good artists, releases and labels. What should I check out and is the genre worth checking out in general?

I would say there is a definite connection there. The first place I head Artwerks 'Red' was on the Bugz fabric mix. And i think they played an early FWD? And Jay Da Flex who used to play dubsteppy/dark garagy stuff now does mainly Broken Beat i think...

tox

Factory Girl
Oh man I love (or should that be loved?) broken beat! Perfect summer music.

You need to check out:

Anything by Seiji. He's the man. There's an untitled cd compliation you can find on soulseek which is just full of the most amazing productions. Check out a tune he did called Loose Lips with Lyric L and the associated Q-Tip re-rub called Loose Tips.

Bugz in the Attic, which Seiji's a part of, are also fantastic. As well as their album Back in the Dog House, which is full of more "live" sounding stuff, their previous work such as their cover of Fela's Zombie are well worth a look.

IG Culture is another name to look out for. If you're into the Grime thing then make sure you check out his remix of Sov's Random. Too good.

Jazzanova have a few good bits and pieces of Broken Beat floating around too. As do Vikter Duplaix, Mark Pritchard, Afronaught and 4Hero.

Check out Benji B on Radio 1xta for more up-to-date stuff and Goya are the main distributor of Broken these days...

I've got a wicked Bugz set filled with The Roots of Dubstep type bits and bobs which I'll up on yousendit later. I wrote about it here on my blog.

JP Nut

Wild Horses
ig culture is probably the definitive broken beat producer.

check his new sector movements lp "download this"

top classic broken track is kaidi tatham "betcha did"... awesome piece of music

dego from 4hero has been involved in some hot stuff too.

finally get anything by Tony Nwachukwu who used to be in attica blues. his stuff is amazing. check Nepa allstars "the way" and the wach "longer(wait)"

eleventhvolume

Sincere thanks to Tox for that list! It's music I've had half an ear out for a few years now, following 4hero in that direction. The IG Culture I'm most aware of is New Sector Movements. You could also check out Domu for the more driving electronic end of broken beat and Flowriders for the more jazzy, soulful end. P'Taah sits somewhere in the middle of that maybe. As Tox perhaps implies, when Jazzanova do go broken beat, they do it rather wonderfully.

hint

party record with a siren
Seiji has produced the forthcoming Roisin Murphy single. It's not Broken Beat though.

Some albums not mentioned yet:

- Afronaught - "Shapin' Fluid"
("Transcend Me" is up there with Seiji's "Loose Lips" for anthem status)

- Agent K - "Feed The Cat"
(Kaidi Tatham)

- DKD - "Future Rage"
(Dego from 4Hero, Kaidi Tatham and Daz I Kue from Bugz)

- Domu - "Return Of The Rogue"

finally get anything by Tony Nwachukwu who used to be in attica blues. his stuff is amazing. check Nepa allstars "the way" and the wach "longer(wait)"

Agreed. This is a great record that sits in that shared territory between Dubstep / Garage / Broken Beat: http://www.discogs.com/release/79268

Last edited:

Alfons

Way of the future
Thanks for the recommendations, a lot of downloading/buying to be done...

I can't get the zshare thing to work, I get a 403 forbidden msg, anyone know what Im doing wrong?

gumdrops

new sector movements - the sun
absolutely essential essential song

best broken beat album ever IMO is agent k's feed the cat

i like a fair amount of broken beat (so much potential) but i wish the songs were often better and the vocalists werent so dodgy

I have to admit I havent paid much attention to Broken Beat in the last year, it seems to be the most underrated genre. What I like about it is that the vocals are often very good, I think they hardly ever fuck them up when compared to the rest of dance music Benji B and Patrick Forge on Kiss play a bit of it (particularly the latter), but perhaps not enough to my liking. I suspect that Joe Ransom on Kiss is the closest Broken has to a national show, though I'm not sure if it's non stop 2 hours of broken.

Someone called Tasha TP did an article looking at the connections it has with Dubstep/Garage on my now defunct blog, www.darksidesophistication.com
it was posted on the 19th of March

I have to admit I havent paid much attention to Broken Beat in the last year, it seems to be the most underrated genre. What I like about it is that the vocals are often very good, I think they hardly ever fuck them up when compared to the rest of dance music Benji B and Patrick Forge on Kiss play a bit of it (particularly the latter), but perhaps not enough to my liking. I suspect that Joe Ransom on Kiss is the closest Broken has to a national show, though I'm not sure if it's non stop 2 hours of broken.

Someone called Tasha TP did an article looking at the connections it has with Dubstep/Garage on my now defunct blog, www.darksidesophistication.com
it was posted on the 19th of March

Blackdown

nexKeysound
if you like the dubstep/broken beat crossover, check the Phuturistix LP on Hospital, it's amazing, and the Maddslinky LP on Laws of Motion, which is kinda cool but not mindblowing. Also check the Bugz Fabric mix which is totally incredible - the best example of mixing dubstep with broken beat i've ever heard.

ThinKing

haven't got time now, but I'll whack up a fat list here shortly of some of the best bruk bits from the last few years.

Haven't been following it for a while, not sure what's been coming out in the last 12-18 months, but I'm into the really heavy wonky stuff and it seems to be getting much thinner on the ground these days.

Stest

Some good recommendations mentioned - though there's nuff new stuff coming out too:

- Co-Op 3 sampler (Heavy Kay Suzuki track on this)
- Domu's remix on the new Rednose Distrikt 12"
- IG Culture's "The Hype" EP
- Marc Mac's latest 12" on the Twisted Funk label

Also check my Bruk Fiya mix featuring some Broken classics: http://www.myspace.com/stestfuturesoul....have a look at a short snippet of a Broken Beat documentary on the same page which kinda introduces the whole "Broken" thing....