wasteland "october" review up on bassnation

bassnation

the abyss
dubplatestyle said:
i'm glad more people are finally hearing this. it's a really great album.

yep, i know i'm a bit late picking this up but it is truly wicked - better late than never eh!

whats i-sounds solo stuff like? any recommendations?

run_time

anyone recommend anywhere to pick it up - have checked Other Music, Forced Exposure, Smallfish, Rough Trade and none seem to have it in stock on cd or otherwise

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
whats i-sounds solo stuff like? any recommendations?

depends:

some stuff is scud style noise'n'jungle. jah vengence is steppers style noise. he released the wicked 'roots, rock, ravers' ep which features scud (his best tune imo), errorsmith etc and his contribution fits right in.
he worked w/ to rococo rot (i think in a producing/sound role), i've not heard the lp (maybe two) they did together. the wire liked it.
somewhere i've got an ambient noise style track by him.
therefore he could be considered widely skilled genius, or a bit hit and miss.
supposed to be a lovely bloke.

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
depends:

some stuff is scud style noise'n'jungle. jah vengence is steppers style noise. he released the wicked 'roots, rock, ravers' ep which features scud (his best tune imo), errorsmith etc and his contribution fits right in.
he worked w/ to rococo rot (i think in a producing/sound role), i've not heard the lp (maybe two) they did together. the wire liked it.
somewhere i've got an ambient noise style track by him.
therefore he could be considered widely skilled genius, or a bit hit and miss.
supposed to be a lovely bloke.

cheers matt, will check those things out!

how do you reckon this stuff is received in the "mainstream" dancehall and reggae scene? is it even on their radar?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
how do you reckon this stuff is received in the "mainstream" dancehall and reggae scene? is it even on their radar?

probably won't even get a faint 'blip'- judging by the blood&fire board, they're just getting into ragga jungle ;)

junglists don't like it cause its too noisy- strictly free party bizniss AFAIK

john eden

male pale and stale
When Toby and Jason took the first couple of Ambush releases into one junglist record shop the guy behind the counter put the needle on the record for about 2 seconds and said "nah, sorry mate..."

"Roots Rock Ravers" is very good.

mms

sometimes
it was a very smart move to stop doing the more breakcore stuff just as everyone seemed to be biting their style i think.
agreed about the roots rock ravers ep, its ace.

carlos

manos de piedra
i-sound has a 7" on broklyn beats that is pretty nice- sort of along the lines of wasteland- dub and noise

should also recommend the i-sound collaboration with to rococo rot- i've heard some pretty negative things about TRR over the years but i've always had a soft sport for them and i-sound's scratchy noise intrusions into their sound works really well

re: roots rock ravers, this EP also features Errorsmith (as Disco Consultant) - i have some Errorsmith ("1", "2" and a Smith 'n' Hack 2x12) - Errorsmith really confound me- but in a good way

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
The Wasteland mix I found on soulseek that purports to be i-sound and dj-scud is pretty great.

Wasteland -Vulture Culture Mix, i think its been released, lots of hiphop and some grime etc....

and i-sounds music is a hungry ghost album with TRR from a couple of years ago is good also, far more lo-key than the october album..