Weird punk novel?

STN

sou'wester
As proof that I'm turning into my own mum ('who's that actor?... you know... he was in that film, with that other one... oh, what was his name, he was married to that woman...') I am now posting an infuriatingly vague request for information.

A few years ago, a punk novel of sorts was unearthed from 1977, I don't think it was ever published at the time. All I can remember about it was that it might have had a lot of pictures and the author might have been called Sebastian something or other. I think the cover may have been black (possibly with a skull on it?). Sorry to be so vague, but it's bugging me...

STN

sou'wester
That's the one. I assume you've memorised it all? What's the first word on page 27? Are there rude bits?

The only Richard Allen I ever read were the Skinhead ones, which I became rather fed up with, if truth be known. Is the punk one worth a look?

Has anyone read Human Punk by John King? Any good?

john eden

male pale and stale
I've not read The Punk... the Allen one is pretty good, especially if you have given him a rest for a few years. I flogged mine to Martin (before we met!).

Stewart Home's earlier novels are better than Allen's I think - all of the pulp but taken further.

Not read the King one either.

STN

sou'wester
Stewart Home's earlier novels are better than Allen's I think - all of the pulp but taken further.

Were they deliberate pastiche? I think I read that about them somewhere.

I think I might get down to Sherry's on Ganton Street tonight and pick up the Allen punk one (they used to have really cool editions and I can't imagine anyone's bothered to update them). Can you remember what it's called?

john eden

male pale and stale
It's called either "Punk" or "Punk Rock".

Stewart's were deliberate sampladelic jobs - chunks of it are ripped off from Allen and elsewhere - bit are repeated, etc. I keep meaning to read them again but I can lend you:

Pure Maina
Defiant Pose
Slow Death
Blow Job

I think Paul Meme still has my copy of Red London, the git.

STN

sou'wester
Nice one, I'll take which ever one you deem best. I'll rifle my shelves for some obscure and disturbing novel in return.

There was a band called Red London wasn't there? I think they were from sometime in the 90s. They had a song called CND. It was alright.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Stewart Home's earlier novels are better than Allen's I think - all of the pulp but taken further."
I've just literally this minute finished Memphis Underground, I looked out for you under a pseudonym all the way through but there you were just as John Eden, right at the end.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"did you like the book apart from that, though?"
That was a definite highlight.
The first bit I really enjoyed particularly (but not only) as it was set in two places that I know - Shoreditch and Orkney. After that though I found the end bit a little pretentious and more to the point it kind of felt as though the first bit had been taking the piss out of me a bit which left something of a nasty taste. I can't say I understood it fully (can you explain it at all?) but I will definitely make an effort to check out some of his other stuff so it was a positive experience over all.

john eden

male pale and stale
The first bit I really enjoyed particularly (but not only) as it was set in two places that I know - Shoreditch and Orkney. After that though I found the end bit a little pretentious and more to the point it kind of felt as though the first bit had been taking the piss out of me a bit which left something of a nasty taste. I can't say I understood it fully (can you explain it at all?) but I will definitely make an effort to check out some of his other stuff so it was a positive experience over all.

I can't explain the latter parts except to say he's into experimenting with the "form" of novels, but the first bit is mucking about with the idea of "identity" in a kind of schizo sort of way, if that helps.

The identity stuff is much more mad in things like "Come Before Christ". "Down and Out in Shoreditch and Hoxton" is of course also themed around somewhere you know. "69 uses of a dead princess" is very odd indeed and features a ventriloquist's dummy as main character plus includes a sub plot about dragging the remains of Princess Diana around stone circles in Scotland.

For sheer pulp with a twist, see the books above...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The first bit I really enjoyed particularly (but not only) as it was set in two places that I know - Shoreditch and Orkney.
No shit! When were you in Orkney, and how did you like it there? I think I'd quite like to go there, all those desolate windswept headlands, funky Viking place-names and weird old stone circles...

STN

sou'wester
After that though I found the end bit a little pretentious and more to the point it kind of felt as though the first bit had been taking the piss out of me a bit which left something of a nasty taste. QUOTE]

Taking the piss out of you personally, or taking the piss out of the type of person you are (or see yourself as)? I hope it's not an impertinent question....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Taking the piss out of you personally, or taking the piss out of the type of person you are (or see yourself as)? I hope it's not an impertinent question....
Yeah, there's this bit that goes "IdleRich is a right twat..." :)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I can't explain the latter parts except to say he's into experimenting with the "form" of novels, but the first bit is mucking about with the idea of "identity" in a kind of schizo sort of way, if that helps."
Well, it was more the end part that I didn't get - about all I could gather was that he was experimenting with form, the thing it reminded me of most was (yet again) If On a Winter's Night a Traveller..., thing is I'd like to get more of a handle on it than to just say that he was experimenting with form. I guess it's my weakness and lack of experience in talking about that kind of thing that frustrates me really.
Anyhow, those other ones you just mentioned all sound interesting but maybe I will try the aforementioned pulpy ones first. Cheers for the tips.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I can't explain the latter parts except to say he's into experimenting with the "form" of novels, but the first bit is mucking about with the idea of "identity" in a kind of schizo sort of way, if that helps."
Well, it was more the end part that I didn't get - about all I could gather was that he was experimenting with form, the thing it reminded me of most was (yet again) If On a Winter's Night a Traveller..., thing is I'd like to get more of a handle on it than to just say that he was experimenting with form. I guess it's my weakness and lack of experience in talking about that kind of thing that frustrates me really.
Anyhow, those other ones you just mentioned all sound interesting but maybe I will try the aforementioned pulpy ones first. Cheers for the tips.

Edit: Looks as though I've just done my own experimenting with form.