Seefeel - will I like them?

john eden

male pale and stale
Their first album has been rereleased and I remember people gushing about them and saying how dubby they were.

Is it any cop? How dubby is it, on a scale of 1 to 10? (10 = King Tubby, 1 = Wagner)

dHarry

I remember Quique being a bit lugubrious, rigid, joyless, and under-produced; like shoegazers who discovered Aphex Twin and drum machines but had never danced; like Curve demo tracks or something, or Faith-era Cure without the depth or melody. It was highly regarded by Simon R., but then he had a habit of writing rave reviews of things like Bark Psychosis and then admitting 15 years later that he never actually listened to it a second time, like, ever! If I can find my cassette copy I might give it another try. Can't remember it being very dubby, but could be wrong.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
My only encounter with them was hearing their contribution to the ''Ambient 4 - Isolationism'' comp.I have dug it out again and in keeping with the theme of the LP the track is super sparse and has a kind of stripped down 'proto dubstep' [see seperate thread] feal about it.

I wouldnt give it a dub factor of more than 6 out of 10,but would be interested to hear more from them.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

mms

sometimes
i really like them, good stuff, sounds quite megadog now tho but more classist in the aphexy ambient works mode

worrior

Yes I think you'll like Quique. Ok, they don't have King Tubby at the controls but tracks like Charlotte's Mouth and, er, Filter Dub, certainly merit 7-8 territory.

The album was a favourite from teenage years and carries lots of fond memories. Yes the drums do sound rigid (although I think that's cos they didn't have the time/money for better production) but Quique certainly isn't joyless (some of their later more austere Warp recordings do veer that way though). The one time I saw them in Shepherds Bush I was expecting a lot of looking at shoes, but the bassist jumped around like Zebedee.

Although Quique has favourites like Imperial and Plainsong, my favourite Seefeel tracks are on the compilation of earlier recordings: Polyfusia. Including the fantastic Aphex Twin versions of Time to Find Me.

They really don't deserve to be lumped in with Curve.

john eden

male pale and stale
OK, I take it back! (Though I wonder are Curve due a re-appraisal? I think I got rid of a couple an EP or two back in the 90s)

I suspect amongst curve's output there might be something worth prodding, but I don't think I am the man for the job. Sorta part of the "goth dub" continuum?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I suspect amongst curve's output there might be something worth prodding, but I don't think I am the man for the job. Sorta part of the "goth dub" continuum?

Curve were great, at the crossover point between (good) industrial and dance music, in the same vein as Cabaret Voltaire or Tackhead but with better melodies and a better singer (female - therefore classed as goth). Screaming Bird was ace.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I liked their (Curve's) first single 'Ten Little Girs' because I thought it pointed towards a future type of dance music based on MBVs 'Soon'. Had a rapper on there and everything ;) It didn't go down that way in the end though.

nomos

Administrator
i was really into them for a year or two. quique, mainly. i don't go back to it often though. wouldn't necessarily think dub, more like a spot in between my bloody valentine and aphex twin.

how about disjecta? that was mark clifford from seefeel doing more industrial sounding thing.

mms

sometimes
Curve had that amazing aphex falling up mix which sounds like metal insects fucking and is amazing at both speeds.
also a crap one by mbv blokey.

Seefeel are nothing like curve at all mark clifford now runs a rather good label called polyfusia, one of the best things they've put out is the autechre mix of spangle - which is AMAZING! really beautiful supernaturally good stuff, quite unlike all other autechre stuff.
They did a well dark minimal rephlex lp too, but this is their best lp. lovely stuff.
http://www.polyfusiarecords.com/ is cliffords label.

Last edited:

worrior

Yes I think you'll like Quique. Ok, they don't have King Tubby at the controls but tracks like Charlotte's Mouth and Filter Dub, certainly merit 7-8 territory.

Having now consulted the Dissensus Dub Scale, I'd like to revise my estimate down to 6-7 :cool:

Last edited:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
The album called Polyfusia is really good, I think it's a collection of the singles and eps they released on the Too Pure label. I think i've got the one with the Aphex mixes on vinyl somewhere.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i have "polyfusia" -- really blissed out and slow -- indecipherable lyrics, in that cocteau twins way -- and lots of layering of guitars and effects in the my bloody valentine "loveless" manner

not sure if i'd consider their stuff particularly "dubby," however

more like aphex twins meets my bloody valentine meets cocteau twins meets st etienne

very melodic and twee and blissed and innocent

D84

I love Quique - what the others said. Lovely stuff.

I wish I bought Polyfusia when I had the chance.

What do you guys think of the Scala stuff some of the Seefeel guys did on Touch? I've got the "Compass Heart" CD but not sure what to make of it. I might give it another listen now.

EDIT: yeah that's a nice one too.

Last edited: