why do people cross their legs when they sit down?

nomos

Administrator
1. It's often more comfortable when sitting for long periods. Especially on hard institutional chairs.
2. In order to counter the guy-whose-dick-must-be-so-large-that-he-can-barely-keep-his-thighs-together style of sitting that remains so popular amongst real manly types.
3. To show off my socks.

Last edited:

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I thought you meant sitting cross-legged like people sit in the (near) East.

I had a similar question. I never see people in America sitting...eh...i dont' know how to say this. See this illustration:

http://www.exile.ru/transient/197/uzbek_gasterbeiter.jpg

I think this is a pretty standard way to sit down among primitive cultures as well as others. Americans just drop on their ass, I guess it requires too much balance and leg strength.

robin

hey digital djigit,funny you should mention that,it came up in conversation the other day...
it seems that sitting like that is like rolling your tongue,you can either do it or you can't
in any given room (nb-anecdotal evidence based on me and my mates) about half the people will be able to sit like that indefinitely without making any effort to balance,while the other half won't be able to balance and will just fall backwards...
thing is,it didnt seem to be related to weight or size (although i'd imagine really fat people would have difficulty with it no matter what)

Guybrush

Dittohead
Yesterday, I watched Ken Auletta being interviewed on the Daily Show, and I was intrigued by how at ease he seemed to be compared to most other guests. And then it struck me: it’s because of his crossing his legs! I find it strange that not more interviewees do this as it’s relaxing, comfortable, and not at all disrespectful. That bending-your-knees pose looks really awkward.

uzbek_gasterbeiter.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
Wow Tea, I don't think I've heard someone use the word "nads" since the 80s...

We are talking about crossing our legs the "guy" way right (if your a guy)? I find the other way a bit uncomfortable.

don_quixote

Trent End
are we talking about crossing our legs in the thigh over other thigh way here, or the primary school sitting on the floor way?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
That squatting pose is one i often find myself doing when digging in da crates. It's really uncomfortable.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Like the gang members are going to be bothered about that, there's plenty of people around who'll open their legs at the drop of a hat for a bad boy.

Isn't it something to do with body language, that by crossing your leg toward someone you're indicating that you like them? I presume it started like that and then got adopted by men and dandies as a pose and has just carried on from there, you can see it in chat shows.

Like the gang members are going to be bothered about that, there's plenty of people around who'll open their legs at the drop of a hat for a bad boy.

Your abject social nihilism is showing [envious of dumb macho thuggery, contempt for serious social solidarity, women as ultimately slavering whores to feudal patriarchy] ... give yourself a pat on the back.

Isn't it something to do with body language, that by crossing your leg toward someone you're indicating that you like them?

Uh, like the gang members are going to be bothered about that ... ?

London-Temptomb-PG589-s.jpg

That's a [note the crossed legs] great show of body language there, Templar!!

[no, don't ask]