quiet village

mms

sometimes
anyone know much about these chaps?
Their output is rather good, electronic dancing music that pulls on loads of angles quite naturally with an air of exotica and a touch of industrial style mind trickery.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I thought that you were starting a Martin Denny thread then....
But I guess not. Don't know too much about them but I thought it was the same guy who does Rekids and Radioslave and stuff. I remember they did a sort of halloween horror soundtracks mix a while ago that was pretty cool and that guy Joel did a top twenty disco tracks for FACT one time.
Go on the djhistory forum and they will probably tell you everything you need to know (or ask Townley when he's on here which isn't very often).

turtles

in the sea
I was just listening to 'can't be beat' and 'too high to move' the other day and thinking how damn great they both are. It's all about the slow tempo, me thinks. Hard to get a hold of though. Stupid needlessly obscurist music!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Debut album on the way

I saw they've got an album about to drop on K7...

Album "microsite": http://www.quietvillage-silentmovie.com/

Anyone heard anything off it other than the stuff that's been mentioned above? Been going back to Circus of Horror quite regularly. Assume that's the one described as Van McCoy meets Martin Denny, cos it's got a really similar vocal part to the downbeat bits in Do The Hustle.

mms

sometimes
yea the albums like easy listening but with a really sterile sense of unease.
very strange.
its not the sort of thing i'd usually get involved with but it's very good.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
here's an interview with them:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

too high to move is ridiculously good. Haven't heard the album yet.

Octopus?

The album's really quite good, and I can absolutely see the 'sterile sense of unease' (great one, that). Incredibly well put together and very organic sounding...not pastiche for the sake of it at all.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
too high to move is ridiculously good.
The chords, the tempo, the feel of the rhythm remind me a lot of Primal Scream's Screamadelica (the track, which wasn't on the album). It's the only Primal Scream song I still really like, possibly because it's got the lowest level of perceptible Primal Scream content. :p

Cheers for the interview. I guess it's to be expected with this kind of stuff that all they really have to say is "we've always listened to heaps of records and we're trying to make exactly what we like"... No suggestion of a grand design or a desperate urge to express anything in particular, just crafting away making stuff they think sounds good. Sadly, I relate all too well. :rolleyes:

Also no impression that they were aiming for a sense of uneasiness.