Radio-Active Sunspot (You can listen to their frequencies here!)

sufi

lala
Can anyone explain how this recording occurred then so I can tell the sound engineer at work? Since he just said ‘Er hello, no sound in space, no sound in a vacuum’

bb

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 17 May 2007 13:13
Subject: Fwd: Radio-Active Sunspot (You can listen to their frequencies here!)

Cool xxx
Note: forwarded message attached.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: SpaceWeather.com <swlist@spaceweather.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:04:30 -0500
Subject: Radio-Active Sunspot
Space Weather News for May 16, 2007
http://spaceweather.com

RADIO-ACTIVE SUNSPOT: A new sunspot is growing near the sun's eastern limb, and it is crackling with solar flares. Yesterday, one of the flares, a C1-class explosion, unleashed a radio burst heard in loudspeakers of shortwave radios across the United States. Ham radio operators may wish to point their antennas at the sun in the days ahead in case this activity continues.

Visit http://spaceweather.com to hear the sounds of this "radio-active" sunspot.

could it be the electro-magnetic

effect on radiowaves here? I dunno

sound is just vibrations so i'm sure that can travel through space right?

hold on vibrations means you need...air...ok forget that then

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, sound needs a medium (such as air) to travel through, so sound can't travel through space.
Solar flares involve the release of lots of high-speed charged particles (electrons and ions), which give off electromagnetic radiation, especially radio waves. These waves can be picked up by radios on Earth, of course - so it's not a case of 'sound', as such, travelling through space, it's radio waves travelling through space which can then be turned into electrical signals by the circuitry of a radio, and then sound by the loudspeaker.

To be honest, this isn't a complicated idea and I'm a bit perturbed an engineer (EDIT: 'engineer') couldn't figure it out. :slanted:

Last edited: