Sounding Out - Analysing Popular Music

spoondead

This may be of interest. As part of their new Summer School Birkbeck College are offering an intensive one-week course entitled Sounding Out - Analysing Popular Music.

The course aims to develop an understanding of the key theoretical approaches to
the analysis of popular music. Locating popular music as both complex cultural
form and industrial project, the course encourages a critical exploration of the
relationship between popular music and the audiences, performers and subcultures
that surround it. Full course details are at:
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/ce/artsmanage/courses/summer/index.shtml

Dates: Monday 25th June - Friday 29th June
Times: Monday to Thursday
Morning 11AM -1PM
Afternoon 2PM - 4PM
Friday:
Morning 11AM -1PM
Afternoon 2PM - 6PM
Fee: £120 (£55 Concessions)
Course taught by Paul Clements.

To enrol either telephone Birkbeck College on 020 7631 6651 or, to enrol in
person visit 26 Russell Square, London WC1B 5DQ (Mon-Fri. 9am - 5pm). In either
case quote course ref FFAP022UACS.

rewindandlisten

Sounding Out

Sounds all very serious..I take it that is industrial project as in the Adorno sense and not in the Throbbing Gristle way?

spoondead

Sounding Out

Yes you are right the course looks at the mechanisms of the music industry rather than TG per se, but maybe Industrial Music for Industrial people will faeture in there somewhere as the ultimate expression of dystopian consumerism (or is that grime)?

john eden

male pale and stale
I'd actually be really up for this, but I can't really justify taking a week off work for it. :(

I don't suppose there's any chance of it running as an evening class is there?

My Mum used to work at Birkbeck and my mate used to run the bar there. :cool:

spoondead

Sounding Out

Well interesting you say that as this is kind of a pilot project and we where wondering if the day time thing woudl put people off, sounds like maybe we shoudl perhaps have gone for the evenings or maybe two weekends......?

john eden

male pale and stale
Well interesting you say that as this is kind of a pilot project and we where wondering if the day time thing woudl put people off, sounds like maybe we shoudl perhaps have gone for the evenings or maybe two weekends......?

I reckon a week's course would pull in existing students etc. For me evenings are better because of childcare/work etc but I dunno if I am typical.