33 1/3 (thirty three and a third) books

tom pr

I got my brother the Neutral Milk Hotel one, which is really good. Loads of input from everyone on Elephant 6 at the time (bar Mangum), and lots of detail on how the album came to be, details of how it was produced, etc. They're all written by different people though, so I've no idea on the others...

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I never heard of em until i was at my local record store this past weekend, and they had the Endtroducing and OK Computer ones. Those i can see....

But why In Utero and not Nevermind?

mms

sometimes
I never heard of em until i was at my local record store this past weekend, and they had the Endtroducing and OK Computer ones. Those i can see....

But why In Utero and not Nevermind?

in utero has a more interesting backstory, all the re-ercording after albini, tension, drama.
I read the sign o the times one

mms

sometimes
and?? how was it?

sorry was busy, i liked it from the perspective of a kid from minneapolis, i liked the personal aspect, i found that more interesting than a track by track analysis and he's ok at the camille/chocolate box stuff that went into the album, but doesn't explore it much he doesn't really look to analyse prince's motivations for being so strange, which is fine as he's kinda geographically closer to the action, so prince is probably naturally less mysterious to him.
But i disagreed with his views on it, ie he seems to reckon its prince's big moment, i would disagree as i don't think prince has ever had one big moment, he's had lots of phases with no real moment of 'settling'. when he did start to settle thats when i kinda lost interest.
you can borrow it if you like.

i want to read the led zep one by erik davis cos i really enjoyed his techgnosis book and led zep 4 is a weird idiosyncratic blip in my tastes, i really really like it alot that album.