Sheffield

vimothy

yurp
After living in Sheffield for the best part of eight years I am totally fucking board of hearing about the glory days of Heaven 17 and Cabaret Voltaire (good band though) and Phil Oakley this and Phil Oakley that. Get over it Sheffield.

Also, why are Pulp on that video?

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
After living in Sheffield for the best part of eight years I am totally fucking board of hearing about the glory days of Heaven 17 and Cabaret Voltaire (good band though) and Phil Oakley this and Phil Oakley that. Get over it Sheffield.

Also, why are Pulp on that video?

haha You get what you deserve :) Because Jarvis has been on the music scene since he was about 11...

vimothy

yurp
I went to your (I assume) night though Martin. I liked that. And you're putting out one of my mate's tracks I think (the one man drug binge known as Dunc, who records as DNCN).

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I went to your (I assume) night though Martin. I liked that. And you're putting out one of my mate's tracks I think (the one man drug binge known as Dunc, who records as DNCN).

We did a few nights before it became too difficult, thinking of doing some more nights now tho - really miss it.

Aye, DNCN - really like his stuff - talking about doing a 12" now...

vimothy

yurp
Yeah Dunc's been ramming that stuff down our throats for years. Good to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

MMS, that would be cool. I'm off for the weekend as usual but sometime soon.

I hung out with Richard from Cabaret Voltaire a month or so ago, seems like a very nice chap and also very shy.
I think I got on with him because I have never listened to CV and didn't ask him anything about them!

To be honest I have a lot more respect for hermits than people who turn up on every "i love the 80s" thing...

is that who you meant by "Richard H" ?

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
MMS, that would be cool. I'm off for the weekend as usual but sometime soon.

I hung out with Richard from Cabaret Voltaire a month or so ago, seems like a very nice chap and also very shy.
I think I got on with him because I have never listened to CV and didn't ask him anything about them!

To be honest I have a lot more respect for hermits than people who turn up on every "i love the 80s" thing...

is that who you meant by "Richard H" ?

Yeah, he's very talented but it would have be great to see him interviewed on this because he played such a big part in forming the scence and doesn't really get the credit he deserves.

I have never listened to CV and didn't ask him anything about them!

Never listened to CV?!! jesus fucking christ, Ed, get it together. they're one of the most important groups of all time, ever, etc. i reckon you'd like some of the mid-80s output like The Crackdown or maybe even Code.
oh, and the film is quite entertaining. As mentioned Richard isn't in it, but his ex-colleague Chris Watson (now a respected natural history sound recordist) has some interesting things to say. but i'm a total sucker for the 'Sheffield glory days' angle anyway.

http://gutterbreakz.blogspot.com/2003/09/okay-heres-dozen-reasons-why-sheffield.html
(partially amusing early post at my blog...)

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Never listened to CV?!! jesus fucking christ, Ed, get it together. they're one of the most important groups of all time, ever, etc. i reckon you'd like some of the mid-80s output like The Crackdown or maybe even Code.
oh, and the film is quite entertaining. As mentioned Richard isn't in it, but his ex-colleague Chris Watson (now a respected natural history sound recordist) has some interesting things to say. but i'm a total sucker for the 'Sheffield glory days' angle anyway.

http://gutterbreakz.blogspot.com/2003/09/okay-heres-dozen-reasons-why-sheffield.html
(partially amusing early post at my blog...)

11) CLOCK DVA - struggling now, but I'm confident they must've invented something.

Invented Sheffield's first punk fanzine.

I was well into Punk and Northern Soul when I went to see the Cabs/TG, it changed everything, for the first time at a gig I did understand how the sound was being made or what I was listening to. The next day I bought my first Kraftwerk album, it was a busy week I can tell you :)

Edward does need to have a listen tho cos there's so much good stuff.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
but i'm a total sucker for the 'Sheffield glory days' angle anyway

From the inside I never kind saw it as the glory days cos you could go up the Beehive and talk to everyone and then nip down The Limit and everyone would be there, CV once brought Kraftwerk in :) I think/know we are pretty proud of people that are successful cos there's pretty much fuck all here.

Yeah the stuff I've heard has always sounded too shouty/noisy for my taste.
But of course I'm willing to be convinced.....

11) CLOCK DVA - struggling now, but I'm confident they must've invented something.

Invented Sheffield's first punk fanzine.

Hmmmm...technically speaking it was just Adi Newton and that bloke from 2.3, wasn't it? to be honest i never really warmed to Clock DVA, and Adi had a rotten voice, bless 'im.

Yeah the stuff I've heard has always sounded too shouty/noisy for my taste.
But of course I'm willing to be convinced.....

That'll be the earlier Rough Trade period. like i said, anything from The Crackdown elpee onwards would probably be more your thing, Ed. That's when they really got into tha funk, and programming Roland gear. and mal altered his vocal style quite dramatically to more of an icey whisper...

i'll send you a few things if you like...;)

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Hmmmm...technically speaking it was just Adi Newton and that bloke from 2.3, wasn't it? to be honest i never really warmed to Clock DVA, and Adi had a rotten voice, bless 'im....;)

Yes and No, depended on the day of the week which band Adi was in, him and Paul Bower (2.3) invented more bands than I can remember. Adi did do some good work towards the end tho, Resistance was a fine track.

My picks for Edward:
http://www.discogs.com/release/45597
http://www.discogs.com/release/45590
http://www.discogs.com/release/45598
http://www.discogs.com/release/45544

for a Cabs virgin like Ed, I'd also suggest that the Original sound Of sheffield 83-87 compilation would be a good entry point. that's all the classic 12" mixes collected up.