Cotti - Sensi Dub.... oh dear...

john eden

male pale and stale
I don't really like starting threads slagging things off, so please let me utter a disclaimer first of all:

All this is my subjective personal opinion and I accept others may feel differently. I have nowt against Dubstep fans, producers etc and it's clearly a scene with a load of great people in it and some proper life about it.

I'm quite envious of it all to be honest, but I just cannot work up any enthusiasm about the music.

Paul Meme has been going on about a "sleng teng refix" for a while and how great it is, so I was genuinely looking forward to hearing it.

The first thing to say is that it isn't a sleng teng refix but a refix of

ALOZADE & HOLLOW POINT featuring MR VEGAS - Under Mi Sensi​

which appeared a few years back on the Clappas Riddim by the outstanding South Rakkas crew ,who also did the Red Alert and Bionic Ras riddims.

You can hear the original here: http://www.greensleeves.net/bio/biogclappas.html

You can hear Cotti's version here: http://www.myspace.com/COT4N

To me, it sounds like someone has taken a fantastic dynamic dancehall tune and then systematically sucked all of the life and energy out of it.

Even hearing it on a big system at FWD didn't do anything for me.

It's driving me a bit bonkers all this - why do people get so excited about this stuff?

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
it's not coki, it's a cotti & cluekid production.

and it's heavy. i love it. and i love the original sleng teng.

john eden

male pale and stale
it's not coki, it's a cotti & cluekid production.

and it's heavy. i love it. and i love the original sleng teng.

Apologies - i've edited the thread title.

Why do you like it, tho? I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely interested in what people get out of it.

Have you heard the actual original tune I linked to? (which isn't Sleng Teng)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
NUMBER ONE PROBLEM.
just sticking a stiff drum pattern and a wobbly bassline under something famous doesn't transform it to a dubstep anthem.

STN

sou'wester
The only dubstep refixes of reggae tunes that I like to date are Pinch's version of 'Answer' by Tony Tuff and Shackleton's 'The Stopper'.

i had never heard the original before, so thanks for that, i did like it when they dropped it at fwd but im sure there was a "insanse in my brain" bit going on in the track too - i thought it sounded good on a large system and it made a nice change to have some vocals on a dubstep track and on a big system, and on a night where most of the tunes were wobblewobblewobble - for me that was the best bit of the song, the wobble was just standard - gonna hunt down the original now though

yeah just listening back to the cotti tun, kode9 dropped it at dubstep afterhours and it got massive pull-ups, about 3 or 4 - its all about the drop that tune - after the drop its a bit shit, but when all you hear all night is wobble its nice to have some vocals, and im a sucker for those digidub chords :)

it's dubstep

it doesn't have to make sense

but this tune sorta sums up dubstep for me...

take anything with a caribbean influence, slight rasta leanings, samples talking about rastafari or smoking high grade, 'dub' (groan) influence (I like dub but I groan at the pointless 'use' of it), add some pointeless theorising and there you have it...it's the 'cool' thing all over again - actually its a little nerdy and studenty but...I won't go into that lol

actually there's a bit of fetishising in the mix aswell...but I'll leave it at that

mms

sometimes
I dunno i think it's amazing how dubstep has gone from being exciting and full of huge amounts of potential to being incredibly shit this year. bar a few on it producers.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's a signal to noize ratio issue. on the whole a lot the people that made dubstep high quality have remained so (some have fallen off though...), but an influx of other producers keen to clone/immitate/refix/wobble etc has reduced the overall standards, imho.

zhao

there are no accidents
agreed. this new version sucks ass. pitched down deejay voices don't work at all. shitty production. uninspired and trite.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
From where I'm sitting it's all going the way of Speed Garage. There's only 3 producers worth checking at the moment, the rest is just like some cut and shut job by the pay and display crew.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Kode9, Burial, Mala, Appleblim, Shackleton, Pinch... these are the dubstep production guys exciting me most right now. Martyn has some nice bits too.

mms

sometimes
Kode9, Burial, Mala, Appleblim, Shackleton, Pinch... these are the dubstep production guys exciting me most right now. Martyn has some nice bits too.

these are producers who have always been good, surely the next wave should have tried to be more challenging and adventurous by default?

Sensi Dub starts off unpromisingly but when that second drop kicks in and the vocals get 'darker' it has some impact. It is surprisingly popular, but I would hazard a guess that this is because people are crying out for vocals, and Sensi sounds a hell of a lot better than a lot of the weak dancehall sampled bootlegs floating around, of which Hatcha has become very addicted to of late on his Kiss show.

There is actually a tune that uses the Sleng Teng bassline, which is Kromestar's 'Ghost town'. I think it was on the dubstep allstars 4 comp. Very nice