"10,00 Drug Crazed Youths" - 2007 style

Blackdown

nexKeysound
"10,000 Drug Crazed Youths" - 2007 style

One of the most iconic, and ill informed, pieces of coverage of the beginning of rave is always referenced as The Sun's "10,00 Drug Crazed Youths" piece.

I kinda got flashbacks of that today reading an amusing piece on "Nu Rave" (or is it the old free party) scene in The Guardian.

My favourite bits are how the photo (print version) shows some crusty/traveller types, whereas the copy "identified Klaxons, New Young Pony Club, Shitdisco, Trash Fashion and Hot Chip as leading exponents of nu-rave" before amusingly quoting a "council spokeswoman" as to what they sound like (council spokeswoman says: "punk meets disco". Ta for that, luv.)

Is this some strange self fulfilling prophecy, where you start and indie scene dressed in day glow clothes, call it rave and then little by little a rave revival actually grows out of it? Or is this an amusingly badly researched article by The Guardian, who can't tell their cultural sub groups apart?

Last edited:
Poor research from the Guardian but they are just mouthing what the Local Govt. Association has told them.

Funny how they have mixed up two very different things because of the word rave - the all at art-school-together, hyper-trend-conscious "nu-ravers" could hardly be further from the type of people (oblivious to fashion trends) who have never stopped organising outdoor illegal parties. (olde ravers?)

muser

yea its funny how they keep going on about the big 'rave revival'... its actually never stopped, and nu-rave and actual rave (free party scene) couldn't be further from each other... emos with glowsticks?? this is probably the end of the feasable large scale teknival events like last year tho unless they can get new licensing rules like they have in some other countries.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The actual definition of Nu-Rave is completely beyond my understanding:

"the association warned councils that young people had tired of mainstream bands and were turning to "nu-rave" music that was not available at established clubs and festivals."

Yet however:

"The association has identified Klaxons, New Young Pony Club, Shitdisco, Trash Fashion and Hot Chip as leading exponents of nu-rave"

...Is there something I'm missing here?

Ecstasy wrappers, yes. At the same party the ravers went into a frenzy and ripped the heads off pigeons.
I'm not making this up, the Sun made it up in the late 80s and printed it.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
If the event organisers had nothing to hide, they should talk to their council about putting on a legitimate party.

Yeah right? when did anyone put on nice legal rave :( nearly impossible once you've pleased the council and pigs and their interpretation of the licensing act. The Glade festival ,which is huge, struggles harder & harder each year. There's no obvious connection with hoxton Nu-rave and the free party scene surely?

Last edited:

Immryr

Ecstasy wrappers, yes. At the same party the ravers went into a frenzy and ripped the heads off pigeons.
I'm not making this up, the Sun made it up in the late 80s and printed it.

they were probably all off their boxes on ecstasy pipes and jessop jessop jessop jessop.

mos dan

fact music
that's what happens when you get the social affairs editor and a news-orientated sub-editor collaborating on what is essentially a cultural piece, i reckon. explains the confusion over terms/photo-text juxtaposition and so on.

i think 'new rave' is absolutely fascinating for the reasons martin suggests: namely that it really does seem to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

DRMHCP

The "ecstasy wrappers" were in actuality pieces of the decorations that had fallen onto the floor...don't know where the Sun got the pigeons from though. This was of course "describing" the big Sunrise Midsummer Night Party in June 1989 which can coincidentally be seen in all its radio-rentals-chicken-oriental-matey glory following the link in the "Blackdown>Southall>Back in the Day" thread below

Last edited:

DRMHCP

yea its funny how they keep going on about the big 'rave revival'... its actually never stopped, and nu-rave and actual rave (free party scene) couldn't be further from each other... emos with glowsticks??...

thought I better see what this Nu-rave bollocks was all about and ended up to my horror on the NME site (a review of the Klaxons album)....and for sheer hasnt got a clue, head up his own arse complete and utter fuckery this piece by some arsehole by the name of Alex Miller has to be seen to be believed

according to this drivel 10 years ago the "bloated dance twats" were finally consigned to oblivion by the hordes of "indie kids" who "drove them from their residencies on the dancefoor"(!) this hasnt happened now...and if i remember 10 years ago their little indie world was about as near to disappearing as it ever came not quailing under any guitar-driven onslaught

then he continues in words to the affect that "trustafarians were until nu rave the only people left raving"...try telling that all those who've spent the last 10 years since then having it to one of the countless scenes that exist in the real world. not surprising though as "trustafarians" would be just about the only members of any dance scene who the indie kids would have come into contact with... their daddies probably went to the same public school

swears

preppy-kei
You have to remember the NME has to create myths around their dreary acts to stir up some sort of excitement. They're never gonna say:
"Well kids, we came this close to folding in 2000, and a it's been a steady stream of bullshit to keep us afloat ever since."

mms

sometimes
yeah well clubs like white heat which were 9 months ago all about indie can't get enough of the sound of ed banger etc, who to my very unrefined ear are erm dance music.