Todd Terry

Woebot

A mate played out a load of his early tracks at a party the other night, and for the first time (er, like twenty years later) I really GOT the appeal of the Todd sound. It's in those rushing/racing/careering almost tinny drums.

I dug out that LP "To The Batmobile" and have been loving it to the marrow. I also found a copy of the Royal House LP (on Idlers, yay!) and thats pretty good as well.

Can anyone reccommend any hot earlyy Todd twelves. I know about the Black Riot record, and The Texican is supposed to be ace isn't it, though I haven't heard that.....

mms

sometimes
the texican is orange lemon isn't it, you must have heard those tracks?
i'll leave edward to fill you in here he can remember all the names.

Whoah!-bot, did you get my email?

You NEED:
Masters At Work - Dum Dum Cry
Masters At Work - Alright Alright
Various - Fingertrips Vol. 1
TTP -To The Batmobile LP (and/or all the singles off it)
Jungle Brothers - I'll House You
Royal House - Get Funky
Orange Lemon - Dreams Of Santa Anna

honours:
Hard House - The Bass Girl
Royal House - Can You Party
Hard House - Check This Out
Royal House - Key The Pulse
Swan Lake etc etc.

crackerjack

Isn't it called Dreams Of Santa Anna? The 12s of Weekend and Better Way were always pretty easy to pick up.

Both those albums you mention are great. They're like the punk albums of dance music - short sharp blasts of brilliant house. Sound great in the car.

zhao

there are no accidents
i like what he says on the website:

I don't tend to moan about the one-dimensionality of the music industry. I don't criticize other artists for playing it safe. Instead, I am trying to enact change. Instead of sitting around on my ass, I'm opening myself up to more music to stir my soul. There's no more artistry out there; artists get stuck in one category. Often, they're just catering to a sound. ... The disadvantage with that is that artists tend to get stuck.

hahaha! i don't diss people. but they just weak-ass bitches. :D

crackerjack

i like what he says on the website:

hahaha! i don't diss people. but they just weak-ass bitches. :D

He never was burdened by false modesty. I think he regarded those Todd Is God t-shirts as statement of fact rather than a rhyming slogan.

Another that should be on his list of classics - Feels Good - cheesy as feck, but that is one massive rush of a tune, especially first thing in the morning. I never found the normal radio tune on a 12 though, and all the remixes sucked.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Didn't they just re-release a whole bunch of his early output? I'm sure I remember recently seeing Tood Terry 12s with flashy artwork and old track titles in my daily Juno emails.
[edit: Yup. It was called "The Todd Terry Trilogy: Past Present and Future" on Ink Records]

I recall reading an interview with him where he said:

When I'm putting a track together, I start out with a pretty melody and build on that. When it comes time to master it, I take out all the melody and release the rest.
Or something along those lines.

Last edited:

blissblogger

i'm surprised mr woebot, i'd have thought you'd be into this stuff from way back

CLS, "Can You Feel It" strictly rhythm 91 is a killertune, great riff and quite ravey

http://www.discogs.com/release/35167

anybody remember when terry did the d&B album in the late 90s, out of the blue, seeingly for pure love of it -- the D&B scene was quite chuffed as i recall

Lichen

I have a 2 x12" record form 90/91: Sax/This will be mine. Some of it's very nearly jungle and it's all killer.

I got if off a fellow with a stall in Camden called Lucky Spin...he went on to bigger things.

Woebot

i'm surprised mr woebot, i'd have thought you'd be into this stuff from way back

well shamefully not really. i don't think a copy of "to the bat-mobile" really counts!

CLS, "Can You Feel It" strictly rhythm 91 is a killertune, great riff and quite ravey

however........i was surprised on closer inspection that i did have a few bits that i wasnt really aware were todd! not that one (must investigate, though......is there a chance it's that tune with the "can you feel it" vocal chant?) and two of them were strictly tunes: tech nine's "slam jam (which i think someone has mentioned) and one i really really love static's "dream it.

other bits and pieces. i have that "yeah buddy" with the trevor jackson cover (not very good) and also the gypsymen "daylite". still, it's a diletante's todd collection, seemingly formed by accident. there's mad crazy tips up-thread.

one thing i did like was on the back of my (just this week acquired) royal house lp, todd thanks only these four: bobby konders, lil loue vega, marley marl and roman ricardo (?). but just those first three, wow splendid namedropping....