Grime Compilation

tomd

penis like a micromachine
Many mix cd's are in my car. Many of the mix cd's are grime. I was checking my mates cars theyres are the same. Upon sitting there listening to some grime cd's I had made years back I suddenly realised just how much grime as a whole means to me. It feels like a part of not just mine, but the friends lives in which these cd's have been passed round.

Ive promised to burn one, yes just one, 80 minute grime compilation of the best tunes to have ever been blasted from anyone in my areas car. I didnt realise what a challenge this was with litterally thousands of tunes to sort through.

I thought I'd start with maybe not the earlyest grime to have been recorded, but the songs which I can find on the oldest of these mix cds. The oldest cd's all seem to have a consistant 3:

Ruff Sqwad ft. Wiley - Be Together
Ruff Sqwad ft. Crazy Titch & Brutality - Havana Riddim (I dont think this is a release, can up mp3)
Skepta, D Double E & JME - Thuggish Ruggish

These 3 tunes were definately what defined grime for me back when i first heard the sound. Living 30 miles from london well out of the pirate station range, I was probably way behind many listeners on dissensus.

So out of interest, what were the first grime sounding tracks you heard? If you was to make a grime compilation what tracks would it HAVE to contain...

Immryr

are we talking purely vocal tracks here, or instrumentals too? cause when i first got into grime it was more through the early FWD stuff and odd random "grime proper" instrumentals, which then shifted more into just grime instrumentals. i didnt have access to pirate radio sets and stuff at the time, so it was hard for me to hear good vocal stuff was about when i was first getting into it.

obviously i now, retroactively, have favourite vocal tracks from the time.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Destruction Vocal

Lethal Injection Inst.

Dizzee's vocal of Icerink

The Icecream vocal from GNR1

Trim - The Lowdown

Duppy

Gimme Dat - Doogz

Poltergiest Relay

Last edited:

tomd

penis like a micromachine
Destruction Vocal

Yer thats also on one of these cd's. The nasty version which sharky major completely murks. Mines bad quality though anyone know if its possible to get hold of a better mp3? I dont think its available to purchase on cd at all, all i can find is the damn VIP version.

terra danjah - creepy crawler has got to be there - maybe the vocaled one from creeper1 with wiley/breeze/tommy guns but definately there

eskimo & what too

Pulchritude

If I made a compilation, it'd definitely have to feature 'It's Nothing' by Ruff Sqwad and Roll Deep just because I never get sick of hearing that.

As for the most grime-sounding tracks I first heard, it'll probably be something not nearly as monumental as it should be, like Dizzee's 'I Luv You', or something. I expect to get slated for this but, if I'm thinking of the most grimey sounding songs, rather than songs which are specifically indicative of the genre, then the most early stuff would probably be So Solid Crew; particularly things like 'Dilemma', though there's not that speeded-up style expected of grime music. In my defence, a young teenage girl living in the suburbs can be excused for not being on the cutting edge of the scene at the time.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
there wasn't one moment for me, as I saw it mutate out of UKG, but certainly Pay As U Go, So Solid, More Fire, Musical Mob and early Diz & Wiley were landmarks.

evergreen

N.A.S.T.Y "Take You Out"
Footsie "Right Hooks"
Dizzee "Brand New Day"
Jon E Cash "Spanish Fly"
Wiley "Ice Rink"
Demon & Kano "Bring Arms"

various instrumentals in the Conflict video:
Dizzee "String Hoe" & "Go"
Ruff Sqwad "Misty Cold"
countless others i can't name

Immryr

random stuff:

Wiley - Take Chances
Plasticman - Shockwave
JME - Skate Park
Target Earth Warrior remix
Tinchy Stryder - Underground
D Double E - Anger Management
Ruff Sqwad - R U Double F
Ruff Sqwad - These Days
N.A.S.T.Y - Take You Out
Danny Weed - Salt Beef
DaVinChe - Buzz Lightyear

these would all be pretty essential for me

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
In addition to the above mentioned:
Ruff sqwad -- Bring it down
Pulse X Jammer remix (that minimal one) -- Durrty Doogz vocal
Ruff Sqwad -- Ur love feels
Pow Forward riddim
Wiley -- backwards riddim fire camp diss
Roll Deep -- Poltergeist relay
Crazy Titch -- Aim high freestyle (when im ere riddim)
Kano -- Ghetto Kyote vocal
Roachee -- all day long
No base riddim vocal(s)
And a flirta d freestyle :)

28 Gun Nice Boy

I expect to get slated for this but, if I'm thinking of the most grimey sounding songs, rather than songs which are specifically indicative of the genre, then the most early stuff would probably be So Solid Crew; particularly things like 'Dilemma', though there's not that speeded-up style expected of grime music. In my defence, a young teenage girl living in the suburbs can be excused for not being on the cutting edge of the scene at the time.

Rest assured my friend, don't be ashamed about it and trust your musical instincts instead. So Solid may have turned into a bit of a joke but tracks like 'Dilema', 'Oh No!', 'They Don't Know', '21 Seconds' and Oxide & Neutrino's 'Bound 4 Da Reload' are all classics of the form and had a big impact on the development of grime.

So Solid's 'Oh No' was so far ahead of it's time it's not even funny. For me the dawn of Grime as a recognisable style and not a potential fad (like the words East Beat, Sublow etc) was when that Ministry Of Sound Street Beats Cd came out, particulary the Slimzee side. With that CD it was clear to me that the scene wasnt solely reliant of Youngstar tracks

Experimental, minimal stuff with fucked up drum patterns. An interesting companion to what the Ammunition producers were doing. Then got a bit messy when MC tracks flooded the market. never really understood why when the MC's got invited into the studios the producer couldnt just make tracks like Pulse X for them to spit over. I would have preffered it if MC's in the studio tried to recreate the vibe they had on the radio

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Wiley's "Wot U Call It" made me curious, Dizzee's "I Luv U" completely mangled my brain, then Roll Deep's "Poltergeist Relay" put it back together again.

Never looked back.