Top Buzz

blubeat

blubeat
I would say it was worth a dollar! Maybe more if you were a big Jungle fan! Even though by this time I was a "clubber" not a "raver" I used to go to the Yikes raves, and others, to see these Incredible Ragga MC's - "two blacks and a bubble" - they had some amazing flow back then and were worlds part from the usual MC fare.

I had a few tapes (cassettes) of them but they are long gone now. I might even fire eMule and see if I can find a few bits.

Here's a Wikipedia profile:

Top Buzz are a British DJ / MC team, which performed at rave events in the 1990s.

Top Buzz was originally formed in 1988 by MC Patrick McPhee ("Mad P") and DJ Mikee B, playing at house events, before being joined by DJ Jason Kyriakides ("Jason Jay" / "Jason Kaye") several years later. All originate from the Tottenham area of north London.

They were of the first to popularise the darker sounds of jungle techno as it began to emerge from the hardcore rave sounds from 1992 (indeed allegedly claiming to have first coined the term). The band released the "Living in Darkness" EP on Basement Records in 1993, which encapsulates much of the flavour of the era. Top Buzz were headline performers at Amnesia House, Fantazia, Universe and Obsession events, amongst others.

A distinct feature was the ragga MCing of MC Patrick, strongly influenced by Jamaican dancehall roots. Patrick often referred to the team as "Two Blacks and a Bubble", a reference to the team's ethnic origins. The team later fell out, although they later reformed in the 21st century to perform at oldskool hardcore events across Britain.​

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Both Mikee B and Jason Kaye were involved in the ukgarage scene in the late 90s early 00s. Jason Kaye worked lots of people, most notably Steve Gurley and Sticky. Mikee B was/is part of The Dreem Teem, one of the most popular dj/producer teams in ukg at the time.

I remember this remix of the prodigy was pretty good and bouncy.

lfam

it's definitely worth a dollar? well, yes, i paid that much, but i bought it a store that doesn't know about techno or jungle at all. like, it wasn't even in a paper sleeve! i guess the only way to find out is to list it.

i figured this website would be a good place to ask (better than ILM, anyways) because of all the talk about dubstep here (dubstep IS related to jungle, amirite). do you know any forums that specialize in this kind of music?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
It's not worth $70 for sure. Discogs can be a very bad guide sometimes. I don't think any of the tracks on that EP are considered anthems or anything. A lot of that '91 stuff is really spotty. But nice find anyway.

DJL

i'm joking
Linked to a mix of theirs which is a percy sometime ago. It was only a real crap quality stream but have now managed to get a high quality version which is here to download. Tracklisting below.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n5t7l2

FANTAZIA NEW YEARS EVE 1991

Yes To Satan - New Atlantic - 3 Beat
Bombscare - 2 Bad Mice - Moving Shadow
You & Me - DJ Seduction - ffrr
Way Of The Future - Heavyweight - ODE
Bassbar - Leo Anibaldi - ACV
Music Takes You - Blame - Moving Shadow
Dreamfinder - Soundcorp - Tone Def
Melodic Vol 1 - White - DSST02
Never Felt This Way - Venom - Creative Rhythm
Waremouse - 2 Bad Mice - Moving Shadow
Athema (Remix) - Nebula II - Reinforced
Dancehall Dangerous - Hackney Hardcore - Strictly Underground
Soma - Mental Overdrive - R&S
Dancehall Dangerous - Hackney Hardcore - Strictly Underground
Electric Sunrise - Mental Overdrive - R&S
Different Strokes - Isotonik - ffrr
New Era - New Era - Great Asset
Get Down - M-D-Emm - Strictly Underground
Energizer 1 - Ellis Dee - White
Reality - Matrix Rise - Mutant
Unknown
DOYLE Factor - Matrix Rise - Mutant
E Face (Remix) - DJ SS - Formation
2 Bad Mice (Remix) - 2 Bad Mice - Moving Shadow
Take Me Higher - Band Of Gypsies - Pulse 8
Beyond Control - Rabbit City -
LSD - Reel2Reel - Share
Art FX - Olympia - Dance Opera
Kiss The Sky - Frequency - White 04

Noah Baby Food

"2 BLACKS AND A BUBBLE...."

My mate's brother put them on at a mid-week rave at the Event in Brighton back in the nine-deuce. It wasn't promoted that well and was a bit of a wash-out numbers-wise, but they were good, and I remember bussin the smoke machine when they were on stage...

Thanks for this amazing set.
I'm really enjoying it.

I'd love to hear from the some of the younger crew on here what they think if this.

I find it so exciting compared to the dubstep mix on the dubstep thread everyone is raving about, which leaves me completely cold. The music and MCing are both so much more hype. Am I just missing the point?

Noah Baby Food

No you're not missing the point, imo. I like a bit of dubstep, it's alright and that, but this is pure fucking rave energy...I am trying to objectively listen and remove the nostalgia part from my experience of it, but taking all that into account, it fuckin whups ass. Feel the Run's House drum breaks and Quadrophonia stabs. No high-grade skunk required. It's the difference between the Ramones and Radiohead, innit.

Noah Baby Food

Noel Emits said on dubstep thread""I'm hoping this smoking ban thing is good for dubstep. Might stop people getting so carried away with some really average stuff."

I am totally not dissing dubstep, but this is my point I suppose - early 90s rave energy will do it for me every time...it's the equivalent of classic punk and hardcore - fresh and energetic. I no longer take any drugs at all, and old hardcore (both sorts) doesn't require 'em either.

nomos

Administrator
Jason Kaye
Wow! I never realized that Jason Kaye was part of Top Buzz. Or it never clicked at least.

I have a track somewhere by Hackney Hardcore, which was Mark Ryder before garage.

Last edited:

polymorphic

Spatt Mendlove
blast from the past indeed...

there's an innocence that I find appealing to a lot of this old stuff that is missing in a lot of dance music. Guess that's what got me interested in dubstep / grime.

For example, I like the production in a lot of contempory minimal techno stuff but it's *almost* from an academic perspective...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Thanks for this amazing set.
I'm really enjoying it.

I'd love to hear from the some of the younger crew on here what they think if this.

I find it so exciting compared to the dubstep mix on the dubstep thread everyone is raving about, which leaves me completely cold. The music and MCing are both so much more hype. Am I just missing the point?

If you're talking about Appleblim's set then 'tasteful' techno and Bristol smokers vibes isn't ever likely to be very hype is it ;) Much better off going for Paul Meme's mix, although I suspect you'll be disappointed there too. Maybe you mean that one anyway.

So much dubstep just basically works synergistically with weed to produce an internalised simulacrum of rave/jungle. I like it quite a bit on the whole but there are very few individual tunes that I really rate. Compared to older rave stuff it mostly seems crippled - like it will only ever go as far as a skunk high, rarely talking to the neurons that respond to Es, trips and mushrooms or whatever. It's like the rewinds thing. It's cool for the crowd / DJ interaction and the idea of breaking the trance, but the idea of calming down the dance because things are getting too exciting is just fucking bizarre to me. I know rewinds have been around for time. There are some really dumb aspects to 'urban' culture sometimes, like too many people have bought into this corporate idea of street or something. It's way too normal and uptight, like there's a fear of exuberance and losing control built in to the ideology - I'm sure Reynolds has a good word for that.

Don't mind me, just an incoherent early morning rant.

Last edited:
I never took any drugs really. I used to go to clubs and raves in the hardcore days and be the first on the dancefloor and the last to leave cos I loved the music and the energy.

I used to go to FWD>> a lot but stopped going when the music went all half-speed.
I liked tunes like Mark One's more breaky stuff, early Big Apple funky dry beats, Oddz, Wizbit, Slimzee etc. staggery weird funky beats and bass, the occasional slow tune in the mix. Then it suddenly became 95% half speed and I didn't want to dance any more....

Sorry if this is just negativity and in the wrong thread and all that.

I suppose I was wondering if the people who love dubstep now get really excited the way I did at raves, or if it's more of a head-nod thing or technical appreciation.

viktorvaughn

Edward, that is a good and valid question! Once you get past the honeymoon period of a nice music you have discovered the real test comes. I remember the first few proper dubstep nights i went too just feeling so overjoyed at every tune that was played! The first time I heard Skreams' Dutch Flower's, Loefah's 'Horrorshow', Mala's 'Bury Da Bwoy' etc. totally knocked me over. And i wasn't on drugs! But DMZ on saturday left me a little empty.

There is the minimal/Bristol coalition in Dubstep going against the grain which is great, but to be honest I am reaching for more stuff like 03/04 Grime/Dark Garage instrumentals when i'm mixing. Like you say, stuff like Jamnite, Oddz' 'Bump Dis', Wizzbit, Shimano etc were really great driving dancefloor tunes that sounded great inthe mix. The music summed up by Slimzee's 'Bingo Beats III' basically.

The garage swing, so evident in Benga and Skreams brilliant 'Judgement'. That clipped snappy, clacky sound in the early Big Apple stuff is now pretty much missing. Mala is still a genius producer in my eyes but stuff like Kromestar and Caspa bass fetishism leaves me very cold. Hatcha's selection is so stiff and not in a good way.

There are still plenty of people shocking out at the raves though. Gone a bit nerdcore sometimes.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I never took any drugs really. I used to go to clubs and raves in the hardcore days and be the first on the dancefloor and the last to leave cos I loved the music and the energy.

Should just say I was using the drug descriptions more as a metaphor for music touching different parts of yer nervous system.

I mostly prefer non-halfstep, or older, dubstep stuff too. The space (silence even) in things like Mud / Rufage is really nice though. It's a shame the rhythmic variety seems to have dried up so much.

Last edited: