Boomerang

craner

Beast of Burden
I know I'm not glamorous, I don't have hair curling down my back and shit, but you know what Marcus, I've got heart. And the thing about having a heart is that it gets broken by people like you. Now get the fuck out of my life!

You go girl!

I just watched this film on TV. I loved it! It's the best Halle Berry thing I've seen. Absolutely lovely. I liked the way that Halle Berry was the unglamorous one, too.

Plus, there are loads of great second-rate Eddie Murphy films, aren't there? (If you know what I mean. I mean, like Trading Places and stuff...)

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
oliver craner said:
[
Plus, there are loads of great second-rate Eddie Murphy films, aren't there? (If you know what I mean. I mean, like Trading Places and stuff...)

Surely Trading Places is better than second-rate?

craner

Beast of Burden
Robin Givens was the female lead. The one with hair curling down the back, who makes Murphy's toes curl in the sack. Her career didn't really recover from that. Shame.

Grace Jones plays a crazy French model. She turns in a vintage performance.

Gerard

A joy for sure. Dan Ackroyd in a Santa suit is a great model for all wannabe degenerates. Denholm Eliot is wonderful. And as for the recipient of the $5 tip in the gentleman's club: "..I can go to the movies……on my own"

Shame about the farcical scenes on the train towards the end. Spoils a sharp satire. Am i missing something....?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
No, the Robin Givens stuff is in relation to Boomerang

Talk about Trading Places though - much better film than Boomerang

Gerard

Trading Places: Awesome, buy why the peculiar degeneration into farce towards end (man in monkey suit etc) takes SOME of the shine off for me

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
You're right. Really, it would have been best to finish it off with the scene where they bankrupt the two brothers. The whole monkey suit/boat thing is kind of a weird ending to it.

jd_

I remember liking Golden CHild when I was a kid. Murphy joke scratching I remember. Not much else other than the dancing pepsi can though... Anybody seen it recently?

henrymiller

the monkey thing isn't just farce though -- it's also a 'scientific experiment' *and* it connects to the brothers' racism, their view of eddie murphy as an ape one way or another (even the brother who thinks he'll prosper cannot conceive of him as a thinking subject).

Gerard

I see the sense in that, but still think the last 15-20 minutes ham-fisted in the context of a film that relies on the delicacies of shrewd social satire and great timing. Next time I see it though, I promise to think more deeply about the Gorilla.