Dividing a mix into CD tracks

nomos

Administrator
Every time I have to divide up a mix into CD tracks I run into a lot of confusion and frustration. It seems like there should be a very simple little app out there for doing this. I'm on OS X so I've tried Peak, DSP Quattro and, previously, Jam (the joy of doing it all with numbers!). Each time I screw up a few discs in the process.

What do the rest of you use? And is there some magical little app that lets one simply drag a few markers around and press 'burn'?

(I have Logic Express which has burning capabilities but I'm not sure if that's just for assembling tracks that are already separate pieces or if you can divide up longer ones in there. I don't remember the manual being too helpful on that.)

bruno

est malade
one interesting route is the terminal, there are scripts to stitch together files

cat tune1.mp3 tune2.mp3 > tune.mp3

and to chop up files

split -b 10000000 ghost.wav output

where the number is bytes i think. this is as far as i've gone but i'm sure there is a way to chop up a file into different length tracks, good luck.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
I use Cool Edit Pro (which became Audacity). It's incredibly simple; you just set the track marker wherever you want it. When it comes time to burn it, you have to make sure the gap is set to 0 and burn away. Works perfectly.

Ringo P

Actually Cool Edit Pro was bought by Adobe and became Audtion...Audacity is an open source freeware project which as far as I know is totally separate. When I used Windows I used a cracked version of Audtion to split tracks, I'm on Linux now so that isn't an option and I'm using Audacity but it doesn't seem anywhere near as easy...might be an obvious thing I'm missing cos I haven't had the time to play with it properly but in Audtion it's as simple as putting in markers and using the batch export function...with Audacity at the moment I'm having to highlight and export one track at a time...

hint

party record with a siren
In Peak:

It's all about markers - pressing Apple + M puts a marker at the current position.

Press Apple + M at the start of the file
Skip through the mix, hitting Apple + M at each track break
Press Apple + M at the end
Press Apple + A to "select all"
Menu Bar > Action > Markers to Regions

I then Save As: "Jam Image" and burn in Jam. I think you can burn directly in Peak too, but I don't know what it's like for burning.

john eden

male pale and stale
I have used audacity for my own mixes and it works fine.

Life is too short to chop up other people's mixes, tho.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
With Audacity you can set a bookmark. After you set a bunch of bookmarks there's some option in the File menu. Something to do with export or something. Basically it will create a bunch of files out of the intervals between bookmarks.

nomos

Administrator
^^ yes! perfect! it's simple and i didn't get any clicks between tracks when i imported the audacity files into toast and saved out a test disc . that's more than i can say for peak. thanks all.