The Justice LP and Ed Banger Records

Woebot

Is anyone into this stuff? It's like The Chemical Brothers with the throttle out.

I've only heard snatches but it seems like the most fun, and most groovy end of New Rave.

There's quite a fun live viddy of them on YouTube...

Quite looking forward to picking up the LP, mainly cos I've missed all the singles.

swears

preppy-kei
I don't think it has anything to do with new rave really, maybe some of the kids in that scene are into it, I dunno. That abrasive, noisy ed Banger sound reminds me almost of a lot of synthy industrial stuff like Front 242, but obviously with a commercial sheen. The way there's lots of cut ups and mini-edits is a nice touch.

There's a great tune by Mr Sebastian on Ed records called "Greel", really fucking slow and heavy, very un "dance", you could sway to it, I suppose.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Gigolo put out some class tunes and so is Ed Banger. I don't care if trendy types are into a particular label, because I don't come into contact with them anyway, really.

S

simon silverdollar

as far as 'new rave' is an actual genre, and not just a marketing ploy, i think it shares quite a lot with the ed banger sound. the 'big idea' in both cases is to make synthesised music that borrows its sonics from house and techno but its structure from rock: huge riffs, verse-chorus-verse patterns, breaks in forward momentum rather than seamless movement etc.

not too keen on some ed banger stuff- i find it quite hit and miss (uffie is just unspeakably bad), but when it's good, it really is great fun (feadz, busy p).

the justice LP was much lighter and more housey than i thought it would be from hearing the big singles (phantom and nazareth). which was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

tox

Factory Girl
I don't think it has anything to do with new rave really, maybe some of the kids in that scene are into it, I dunno.

I've always thought of this stuff, as nu-rave. I mean they share bills with Simian Mobile Disco, Boys Noize, Digitalism, Klaxons, Erol, Glimmers etc... Ed Banger and Maison Kitsune are pretty much the scene.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of Justice themselves. The new album is very very samey and a little contrived. I read a terribly smarmy interview with the Justice boys in the new issue of Blowback which put me off as well. The Digitalism record which came out the other week on Kitsune is much more interesting and varied. My girlfriend's 15 year old brother goes mad for this nu-rave stuff and has a pretty good collection of 12s on Ed Banger and Kitsune. There are some gems there. For me, the best Justice record is the Erol remix of Waters of Narazerth, much better than the original.

I linked up Justice's essential mix on my blog yesterday - its worth a little look.

swears

preppy-kei
I wonder how much of an influence Daft Punk's Human After All had on the Ed Banger sound? Tracks like "Steam Machine" are very Banger-ish.

gumdrops

i really like the justice album.

i dont know too much about them to be honest but im gonna check out all the other records you guys have brought up in this post too.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Busy P who owns Ed Banger is Daft Punk's manager. There's a whole host of connections, and influence from them to justice and all the others...

I absoultely adore justice. First hearing waters of nazareth was an absolutely defining moment, i probably wouldn't be into as much "proper" house and techno if it weren't for that.

The album has its low points, the track with uffie is DIRE. She was good, but her latest stuff is all awful. A real high point is Stress. It's just so mental, whenever it gets played out everyone goes nuts for it.

I think however, the real cream of the crop of french people is Surkin. Radio Fireworks is amazing, as is Kiss n Fly.

Digitalism are amazing as well, though i preferred the ehavier, earlier 12"s to the stuff like pogo. Though iv'e not heard the album yet.

tox

Factory Girl
A real high point is Stress. It's just so mental, whenever it gets played out everyone goes nuts for it.

I think however, the real cream of the crop of french people is Surkin. Radio Fireworks is amazing, as is Kiss n Fly.

Ah yeah, I forgot about Stress. Saw The Glimmers drop that one on Saturday, without knowing it was Justice... place went mad.

Hadn't really paid much attention to Surkin, but just checked them out on Hype Machine. Nice.

I'm not sure how much room for manoeuvre there is within this sound to be honest. There's only so crunchy and dirty you can go before everything starts sounding very same-y. It almost has the same problem as that grimey drum and bass stuff which all comes out sounding alike. Deviations from the core sound are either shit (like the Uffie track) or disliked by many (like Digitalim's Pogo). Its definitely fun for the dancefloor though! Certainly my current 4x4 of choice (well, a close second behind minimal).

S

simon silverdollar

i think Feadz' trick of slowing things down to an oozy hip hop pace might be a way forward. i agree the harder! faster! louder! ethos is a dead end. sadly.

crackerjack

I'm a sucker for this stuff at the moment - Simian Mobile Disco, Justice, Digitalism, really good albums all. But Daft Punk are obviously the daddies of them all, much more than the Chemicals.

blissblogger

it's quite a grating sound isn't it

designed to have this "you can't ignore me" quality

which means it really leaps out at you if you hear it through computer speakers

i wonder if it's actually made to do that (to stand out from the pack for people whose primary way of hearing music is on the computer or ipod (hence blog house)

c.f. also the use of compression on American rock radio cost a/ every station wants to be louder and more lapel-grabbing than the other stations and b/ exacerbating the compression already on the records themselves cos every band wants to be louder than the rest.

anyway it certainly commands your attention if you're sat a desk, but the idea of hearing it through a club system seems like it could be wearing

as well as Daft Punk Human After All (whodathunk that turkey would spawn a genre eh) it reminds me in a way of Andrew W.K., just the blare of it

Hell's Suicide Commando 12" is on my turntable at the moment. Fantastic stuff.

Heinrich Mueller's mix is incredible but Hell's version is not as good as the original that it's completely sampled from. (by No More)
Don't you think?

Ed Banger etc I just don't get it.