Matthew Dear - Asa Breed

elgato

I just dont know
Has anyone heard this in full yet?

I listened through the clips and it sounds pretty superb to me, I can't wait to hear it properly. Much more emphasis on song even than his previous releases as Matthew Dear. Interesting that the press release talks about his Texan background, I often forget that. It seems you can really hear it in this, americana meets techno! He puts me in mind of Ry Cooder to some degree

It's also very interesting that such a personal record has emerged as his superstar status has peaked... global smash hit records, sitting atop chart and critical lists alike, touring the world playing to huge crowds, and then he releases this, a return to his roots to some degree, and certainly the lyrics seem extremely personal

crackerjack

Has anyone heard this in full yet?

Yeah. I liked, though I know very little about him so I can't go into much detail. Like your Ry Cooder meets techno comment, though i thought David Sylvian in places,.

zhao

there are no accidents
very much over rated IMHO. leave luck to heaven was nice, but lasted about 3 weeks for me and the sheen wore off, and didn't play it after that. on most songs the geek-boy crooning just makes me gag. and his beats are not getting more interesting... sorry to be a grump

smn

Mixed feelngs about this really. Some great stuff on it (Fleece On Brain, Deserter, Don & Sherri... ) but it doesn't really do it for me as a whole. The majority of tracks (or songs I guess) are in and around the 3 minute mark which is a pity as some of them could really do with some extra space in which to breath and develop. For me the whole song - break - song thing just doesn't quite sit right... at least not with this anyway.

The album kinda trails off towards the end too... The last track is maybe the Ry Cooder-ish thing you mention although to me it sounds more like Buck 65 than anything else (including Matthew Dear).

Now what I really want to hear is some Audion remixes of this stuff, the afore-mentioned Fleece On Brain especially. That'd be killer... :D

Very excited about False's upcoming album on M-nus by the way. The one track from it I've heard so far - Fed On Youth - is fantastic and even outshines a lot of the Audion stuff he's banging out at the moment. The album will be presented as a continuous mix too, which sounds just about perfect...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Love Audion- cannot abide this. The indifferent backing tracks lack the precision engineering/production/all out gooey sexualised nastiness of the Audion stuff, and are crucially bedecked with asinine lyrics delivered in a frankly rather embarrassing voice.

Pass...

To compare his "voice" to David Sylvian is a massive massive insult!

machinesoul

Wild Horses
Hello, new to the board, I have to say after liking much of his previous output, this LP leaves me cold. The vocals annoy me hugely, isn't it the bloke from TV On The Radio? The Audion remix of Hot Chip, now there's a record.:D

Chris

fractured oscillations
The Audion remix of Hot Chip, now there's a record.:D

Hell yeah, Audion at his best...

I've been kind of hesitant to pick this LP up, I've read comparisons of it somewhere to Caribou?... who I actually like, but I'm not sure if I really care to hear Matthew Dear go the "indietronic" route...

elgato

I just dont know
wow im surprised by the weight of disapproval coming forward! i must say that i have been mostly disappointed with his stuff post-Mouth to Mouth, Noiser in particular coming off as a very lazy attempt to replicate and capitalise on the zeitgeist. i love(d?) Audion's sound, but feel that recently its in danger of becoming too standardised and unadventurous (although his chemical brothers remix indicates a potential shift into new territory). and thats what i love about the sound of this LP... so very different. the production to me sounds awesome on first impression, so strange... analogue but not of the standard variety, dirty but clean, organic but mechanoid. moving forward with the template produced by most of the standouts on Leave Luck To Heaven. we shall see i suppose. im not usually one to listen to shoe-gazing so perhaps its charm has not yet turned to irritation, but on immediate listen i find the odd and vulnerable murmurings pretty pleasing...

run_time

would give a plug for this...would actually be interested in seeing it live but his live show unfortunately he doesn't seem to be passing through London in this guise

viktorvaughn

Not too familiar with his back cat but I like this. The last three tracks with guitars on are a bit poor but I do not mind the vocals.

I get the impression they are almost supposed to be overly saccharine/simplistic/playground. They are quite repetitive, like disembodies chants which I thinks reflects and plays upon the repetitive nature of the beats.

Loungey, it is the kind of music I can imagine certain trendy middle-class types putting on after an organic dinner for cocaine and coffee.