prejudices

zhao

there are no accidents
isn't it annoying when people refuse to recognize the greatness of an artist like Michael Jackson? i mean, all personal preferences aside, and forget about all the shit that's happened since, how can any music lover not see that Thriller is timeless and perfect?

again, personal preferences aside, how can anyone deny that George Michael is an amazing singer? his voice and delivery is so refined and that takes years of hard work.

it's just the reverse of ignorant "normals" who say they don't like "experimental music" because "it's not music and anyone can do it".

i have some friends who are ideologically against metal or any other "testosterone music". and they will never budge. ever.

people like my parents will never, not in a million life times, realize that rap is an art form.

just as stupid as people who dismiss classical music because "it's for old people".

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hear, hear. It's very tiresome, isn't it? Rockers who dismiss all dance music, ravers who think rock is obsolete, snobs who think all rap is for 'chavs', the other kind of snob who thinks listening to classical makes you 'posh'...

...however, I think we can all agree it's simply common sense not to listen to indie. :)

sing_minimal

it's quite silly indeed..it's like if you listen to this you can't possibly like that..it's just peoples narrow-mindedness and trying to be cool through music or something..

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
But aye, kooks can go suck ma coccccccccck. There's always usually some good in a genre, even if i don't particularly like it alot. One exception here is happy hardcore. I just can't see anything good about it at all.

swears

preppy-kei
again, personal preferences aside, how can anyone deny that George Michael is an amazing singer? his voice and delivery is so refined and that takes years of hard work.

Yes, it's a shame that most of his material is shit, and his attempts at political engagement, while worthy, were so ham fisted. I love his multitracked voice on "I want your sex" it's so ridiculously sleazy, but sweet at the same time.
Then you get stuff like that jazzy covers album he did a while back, completely tedious and po-faced.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
A lot of good music was born out of harsh prejudices and hatred towards other people's values. Opinions are what make music good. Even if they are bad ones.

zhao

there are no accidents
A lot of good music was born out of harsh prejudices and hatred towards other people's values. Opinions are what make music good. Even if they are bad ones.

i hear that some blackmetal bands are switching to electronic instruments because the guitar is a "black instrument" (um... so is rock'n'roll, sherlock)... anyone heard any of this new synth metal stuff?

but what examples were you thinking of?

swears

preppy-kei
i hear that some blackmetal bands are switching to electronic instruments because the guitar is a "black instrument" (um... so is rock'n'roll, sherlock)... anyone heard any of this new synth metal stuff?

but what examples were you thinking of?

What a bunch of cunts. There's loads of black records that use electronic instruments, and the guitar is a European invention anyway.

tom pr

I thought that was just one quite high-profile guy. I'm blanking on who though...

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I thought that was just one quite high-profile guy. I'm blanking on who though...

Varg Vikerness from Burzum.
It was actually because he was in jail, and so only allowed a synth (so he didn't hang himself with a guitar string or something), and he's since said he'll be going back to guitar when he gets out (he's not known for being the most consistent of individuals).

Noah Baby Food

he's a complete loon Hitler-worshipping freak though so I woudn't worry about him. some black metal has synths on it anyway. i know the stupid attitudes of some of these black metal artists, but somehow I can't really take it seriously, doesn't offend me and I still enjoy the music - same with GG Allin. I won't go anywhere near Skrewdriver (although the first, pre-racism album's meant to be good) or Johnny Rebel or any of that shit though.

As for MY prejudices - I'm afraid I have a big problem with anything made by people who've been to public school, and privileged yoots in general. Especially those who are trying their damnedest to look all "street" (circa 1975) and poor. So - just about all current British indie bands then!

zhao

there are no accidents
so what great music or art was made from hatred and prejudice for other people's values?

do rappers make hiphop because they hate country?

do techno guys make dance music because they hate rock?

or can re-action against something be included in this category? i.e. grime reacting against cheesy garage or whatever

tom pr

Varg Vikerness from Burzum.
It was actually because he was in jail, and so only allowed a synth (so he didn't hang himself with a guitar string or something), and he's since said he'll be going back to guitar when he gets out (he's not known for being the most consistent of individuals).
Oh, I thought it was him but then couldn't find anything about it. Nice one.

DRMHCP

Yes, it's a shame that most of his material is shit,.

I don't know IMHO Listen Without Prejudice and Older are classics and the former is one of my favourite albums of all time (Cowboys and Angels, Waiting for that Day etc) about as perfectly melancholy as you can get

zhao

there are no accidents

i s'ppose so... but remember that wire article which talked bout that episode on the radio where Lydon was saying the pistols were influenced by reggae and country music. i would file punk as more of a reaction against rock complacency than really prejudice against other music. well i guess they hated the same shit we hate... the hate thread has not come back to life recently