Efdemin.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Who else is absolutely loving Efdemin at the moment? It feels like him and Pantha du Prince are really bringing melody back into techno. Not that i dislike ultra minimal stuff at all, i love it as much as ever, but I'm excited that there's more housey, warmer sounds coming back into the music. And i love the beautiful melancholia of the tunes. The resident advisor podcast is absolutely fantastic as well, 2 hours of bliss.

Tim F

Efdemin and Pantha Du Prince are both great but... I'm not sure I see the novelty, exactly. Isnt it just more of that brand of fragile melancholy tech-house that Lawrence in particular has made for ages (and which, in a more general sense, has always found a home on Dial and to a lesser extent Kompakt)? I guess Efdemin's US deep house jones is novel, but that only comes out in his DJ sets, "Just a Track" and the intro to "Lohn & Brot".

run_time

would give another plug for Lawrence...do like Efedmin and Pantha but find Lawrence albums more my cup of char albeit in a similar vein

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I'll have to check out lawrence..i think i've ehard some serafin stuff and liked it, will have to track some down. yeh that mix is gorgeous...the ripperton and sebo k ones are good, in a s imilar sort of way. though neither is as lush as that one.

turtles

in the sea
Yeah I'm pretty stoked about the resurgence of Dial, I always loved that label, especially Lawrence who is definitely the godfather of that sound (hmm, maybe it should just be "surgence"? This is probably the highest profile Dial has ever had). I guess it kind of makes sense given the recent neo deep house thing that seems to be going on, lawrence et al have always had a pretty "deep" vibe to their tunes. Will have to check out the efdemin album, loved his RA podcast. loved the pantha du prince album too. go dial!

aaron_shinn

I'll pitch Carsten Jost's name into the ring as well. He's another Dial artist (and label boss?) who has come up with some really lovely ones over the years. His misses are usually interesting too. He's more of a metronome vs Lawrence's polyrhythms, but handles structure and texture beautifully...

The last track on this mix is a particularly nice one:
http://www.aaronshinn.com/news/?p=24

Chris

fractured oscillations
I've really been digging the Efdemin and Pantha du Prince albums lately too. What Lawrence albums or or tracks would you guys recommend checking out?

marsyas

Donnacha Costello - Donnacha Can't Sleep Mix

figured i would post this.not all that similar, but in the family.
a cool mix donnacha did a while ago, it used to be on minimise's main page.
but i guess its not up any more.
pretty slick collection of older and (at the time) newer tunes.

00:00 Chancellor - The Unknown Future Missile 21 - 1997
02:57 Melchior Productions - The Later The Evening Perlon 46 - 2005
05:17 Monobox - Realm B (original) M- Plant 308 -1996
08:20 Children of Night - Mellifluous Deepfried 008 - 1996
12:54 Plastikman - Plasticity Plus8 028 -1993
17:28 Louderbach - Wig Wax EP Underline 003 - 2004
19:40 Birds - South Broadway Pal SL LP1 - 1998
22:04 Jacktripper – Godzuki Jack 3 - 1997
25:38 Heartthrob - Hot Sugar Candy Apple Taffy Minus 25 LP - 2004
28:10 Donnacha Costello - Rusy Sticks Minimise 020 - 2005
32:13 Donnacha Costello – Zhana Minimise 001 - 1999
35:53 Studio Eins - Orange 3 STU 005 - 1996
39:48 Vapourspace – Gravitational Arch of Ten Plus8 023 – 1993

turtles

in the sea
I've really been digging the Efdemin and Pantha du Prince albums lately too. What Lawrence albums or or tracks would you guys recommend checking out?
I think probably his second album (the absense of blight) is his best. All his albums are good actually but they get a little same-y after a while. His consistency is definitely a strength and a weakness. Hmm let's see, I would also check out this and this in terms of 12"s. His earlier stuff is a bit more goth too, which is pretty cool. Also maybe that new best of/compilation thingy he just put out would be a pretty good starting point. Looks alright, I know most of the tracks on there. Anybody else heard it?

(btw, good call on "fast freeze" i like:D )

Chris

fractured oscillations
Thanks for the recommendations, turtles...

I'm intrigued to hear his goth-y sounding stuff you mention, I always like when techno or what-have-you dance genres vaguely flirt with a goth vibe.

tox

Factory Girl
Thanks for the recommendations, turtles...

I'm intrigued to hear his goth-y sounding stuff you mention, I always like when techno or what-have-you dance genres vaguely flirt with a goth vibe.

I was listening to Ivan Smagghe and Chloe's The Dysfunctional Family for the first time in a while the other day... that's about as goth-a-techno as I have ever heard. I've not really thought of it in common with the Efdemin end of things, but if you like the idea of a goth vibe in dance music, its worth checking out.

mms

sometimes
Who else is absolutely loving Efdemin at the moment? It feels like him and Pantha du Prince are really bringing melody back into techno. Not that i dislike ultra minimal stuff at all, i love it as much as ever, but I'm excited that there's more housey, warmer sounds coming back into the music. And i love the beautiful melancholia of the tunes. The resident advisor podcast is absolutely fantastic as well, 2 hours of bliss.

koze for me is the guy who manages to bring the house sound back in. his recent dj set when set against michael mayers dreary selection of substandard minimal techno and electro of the same night was great. lots of bright chords, soul and funk, ravey bizzniss etc, 'we're raving we're raving' by shut up and dance etc.. good warm fun.
mayer kinda confirmed some of what i really think about alot of this music, that it's a stripped down conservative and unmemorable version of better techno from 10 years ago, not too exciting.