Common: The People

elgato

I just dont know
commons like cardigan-rap or something. hes like the hip hop coldplay.

bollocks

he's articulate, vivid, and thought-provoking... he speaks on history, politics, culture, family, and does so over continually groundbreaking production - coldplay write wet love songs in a hackneyed manner

i hate this kind of thing. its just as single-minded as the backpacker attitude ppl were/are (rightly) rejecting

arbitrary anti-intelectualism?

gumdrops

im not an anti backpacker

far from it

i love a lot of 'backpack' rap

just not common

hes very boring to me now, except for maybe a few new songs like the people, the one with kanye and the one with the primo hook - the game

and i used to be a big fan of his so its not like im against him

hes got a formula now that hes been sticking to safely for a while and its somewhat dull now - its something like neo soul+over reverent 70s soul-jazz-meets-90s boom bap beat+neo soul singer on chorus+common rewording what seems to be the same verse about freedom or 'maturity' or some incredibly vague 'righteous' stance over and over

id much rather listen to kanye, lupe, little brother or someone else like that (just mentioning them as theyre in more or less the same milieu)

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
ok fair enough, apologies, the bredth of the brush indicated otherwise!

i still rate him, and coldplay he is not!

gumdrops

when i hear him now it sounds like im listening to someone whos sterilised his worldview

its woefully, irritatingly new agey

hes like a walking health food pamphlet

viktorvaughn

He has got worse at it. I liked him best when he was also about drinking malt liquor and chasing girls. Ressurection is a top-tenner for me.

gumdrops

resurection is one of the best rap albums EVER.

since then though, hes gotten duller and duller and worthier and worthier.

for shame.

too self righteous.

and FFS, stop letting your dad in the studio!

xxxpost, common has writen MANY wet love songs in his time too. tooo many in fact.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
resurection is indeed sick

but this is all taste i guess, it doesnt rub badly with me at all to hear someone speak their mind... self-righteousness is a difficult one though i think? i guess he is very forthright, but i dont find that particularly offensive. it changes the nature of the art, to being less about pure 'artistry', but is there not a place for that?

gumdrops

thats just it though - i dont think he IS speaking his mind. hes trying to uphold this 'righteous' 'mature' well-sorted find upstanding man image hes cultivated which just seems too squeaky clean and free of any remotely questionable behaviour...

dssdnt

i dont think he IS speaking his mind. hes trying to uphold this 'righteous' 'mature' well-sorted find upstanding man image hes cultivated which just seems too squeaky clean and free of any remotely questionable behaviour...
Well, you would know, wouldn't you, since you're obviously the expert on Common's psychological motives and lyrical goals? Whatever, pal. Heaven forbid that he might actually be saying what he wants to say, making the records that he wants to make. I can hear the gallery already, "Oh, no, no, no, we are the gatekeepers of US 'street' authenticity, we know, and he must be like this, or otherwise he's just not good anymore. . . " Lol

crackerjack

Well, you would know, wouldn't you, since you're obviously the expert on Common's psychological motives and lyrical goals? Whatever, pal. Heaven forbid that he might actually be saying what he wants to say, making the records that he wants to make. I can hear the gallery already, "Oh, no, no, no, we are the gatekeepers of US 'street' authenticity, we know, and he must be like this, or otherwise he's just not good anymore. . . " Lol

That's harsh. There are people like that, but Gumdrops doesn't appear to be one of them (even tho he's very wrong about Common).

mms

sometimes
guess what you can like common and ludacris or whatever if you like.
Hip hop is a broad church/

aaron_shinn

I'm actually feeling the new single much more than I had expected - Comm sounds revitalized... I need to give it a few more listens, but I'm thinking there may be some promise in the new LP. His last record, Be, felt like a retreat after an unsuccessful experiment (does anybody remember Jimi Was a Rock Star from Electric Circus? gahhhhh).

The critical reception to Electric Circus was rough at best, and Comm (or his management) probably got the idea that if he would just go back to his musical "roots" that everything would work out. In the end, Be felt so forced to me that I had to listen to it through gritted teeth.

Never mind the long shadow of Ressurection - even Like Water For Chocolate is a benchmark for Comm nowadays. THAT record has some amazing moments, missteps notwithstanding. I hope Finding Forever brings an R.Kelly-style return to form...

Still, I could do without Kanye's presence. What do they have in common - other than being from Chi?