In New Fads We Trust

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Taken from Plastician's blog:

Plastic Ian said:
This hasn't been officially released yet but was going to talk about it on the show this Friday anyhow....

Unfortunately my show on "In New DJ's We Trust" has been dropped to make way for a new show showcasing the Nu-Rave and Electro scene.

I've just found out myself, the decision was only made final yesterday afternoon.

This Friday's special will be my last show on the regular Radio One slot, after which I will be deputising for Maryanne Hobbs in a few weeks before parting company.

Just want to big up Hermeet Chadha for giving me the opportunity to showcase the best in Dubstep and Grime to a worldwide audience on the BBC. And thanks to Charlotte Coker, Helen Smith, Tom Koenig and all the team at Somethin Else for producing my show over the last 18 months.

Watch this space though......... Plastician will not be falling off the face of the FM dial forever. I can guarantee I won't let that happen, its been far too big a part of my life for the last 5 years.

Respect to all who've tuned in, recorded and helped me out with tracks and segments on the show over it's course.

Plastician

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...n=2F6D313F-3153-4A3A-907EB3C9EE0A3B2F88271315

That's a shame for Chris and music fans.

I thought this thread was gonna be about a forgotten late 80s indie band.....

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
it's doubly worse that it's new rave...that's not even a genre. Annie mac plays all the good stuff that's vaguely associated with it....surely there's another, more exciting music genre that the bbc can play?:(

Dusty

Tone deaf
Electro is popular? You mean kids will be going round listening to Ministry of Sound mix CDs featuring Arpanet and Anthony Rother?

gumdrops

oh fer fucks sake. to make way for electro and nu rave? cos grime and dubstep are so fucking out of date and passe?

what a fucking sham.

*insert angry emoticon*

aaron_shinn

Electro is popular? You mean kids will be going round listening to Ministry of Sound mix CDs featuring Arpanet and Anthony Rother?

OTM.
The kids I've met who like new electro seem out of their depth.
Are they listening to records on Touchin' Bass?
Kraftwerk?
Egyptian Lover?
Drexciya?

Electro is large and multi-faceted enough to prompt some serious listening, but I have a feeling that this show will feature The Knife, Ladytron, etc ad nauseum...

Oh come on.

We all know that people in the media and younger listeners are completely unaware that electro used to be the same as hip hop.
Electro no longer means cybotron, bambaattaa etc.

It means talentless shouty people in funny clothes who would've been in a guitar band if they weren't too lazy to learn an instrument.

Gutting.
But there it is.

echevarian

babylon sister
It means talentless shouty people in funny clothes who would've been in a guitar band if they weren't too lazy to learn an instrument.

Well thats a succinct way of describing Chicks on Speed, but hasn't this whole electro-trash thing been over for a couple years now?

Or is this a description of the Ed Banger thing?

I thought that at least some of their artists appeared to genuinely care about the history of the music they're emulating.

For every Uffie you get a DJ Mehdi.

I've loved seeing the artists (like Plastician) I support get the attention they deserve,

but I also wish that dubstep and grime could have had more time to develop underground before getting the kind of attention they have in the last couple years.

I think a sustainable underground is in the long run a better support for artists than short term acclaim.

Sympathies to Plastic, the guy deserves better.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Well thats a succinct way of describing Chicks on Speed, but hasn't this whole electro-trash thing been over for a couple years now?

Or is this a description of the Ed Banger thing?

I thought that at least some of their artists appeared to genuinely care about the history of the music they're emulating.

For every Uffie you get a DJ Mehdi.

I've loved seeing the artists (like Plastician) I support get the attention they deserve,

but I also wish that dubstep and grime could have had more time to develop underground before getting the kind of attention they have in the last couple years.

I think a sustainable underground is in the long run a better support for artists than short term acclaim.

Sympathies to Plastic, the guy deserves better.

arent the ed banger lot a slight permutation of electroclash , and ccs is the new peaches, etc...
it's weird how electro comes back again and again, or that rhythm anyway, i guess its diff from 4/4 which makes it less like house in the eyes of the hipsters.

echevarian

babylon sister
I think that electro keep coming back because no one has really got it right yet.

When Plasticman remixed Alter Ego I got pretty excited, I thought we were about to see a grime/electro crossover.

Seems to have yet to materialize.

Its weird if you think about it how many little micro fads and might have beens in the last decade have had a kind of electro thing going on.

Hyphy for one.

swears

preppy-kei
"Its weird if you think about it how many little micro fads and might have beens in the last decade have had a kind of electro thing going on."

It's a twenty year cycle thing, like how so much of 90s dance had funk and disco elements to it. I think the "rave" revival now will be nothing compared to the sort of things that might pop up from 2011 onwards.

Blackdown

nexKeysound

What and Nu Rave's been incubating for decades has it? Dubstep's been evolving for seven years and now Radio 1 have dropped it at the first possible opportunity. Brilliant. :(

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I think it may be for the good tho, shit like the BBC just chew things up and spit them out. Dubstep will be all the better for not sleeping with this dog....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Or alternatively, people start sampling/covering/remixing/referencing Cabaret Voltaire, Revolting Cocks, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb...or, indeed, Ministry (minus the 'Of Sound'!).

Well, we can hope.

*wets pants at the very prospect*

swears

preppy-kei
Or alternatively, people start sampling/covering/remixing/referencing Cabaret Voltaire, Revolting Cocks, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb...or, indeed, Ministry (minus the 'Of Sound'!).

Well, we can hope.

*wets pants at the very prospect*

That's more industrial innit? I reckon an industrial revival would be mint, as long as people can dissociate it from shite like Nine Inch Nails.

One you lock the target
Two you bait the line
Three you slowly spread the net
And four you catch the man...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One you lock the target
Two you bait the line
Three you slowly spread the net
And four you catch the man...

TUUUNE!!!!

Indeed. Well, industrial, industrial-electro, EBM, whatever.

Speaking of NIN, have you heard the Quake soundtrack? TR did it and I reckon it's the best NIN album by a mile (I think their other stuff varies from quite good to utter toss). It's instrumental, for one thing, so you don't have to put up with his adolescent whinings about awful it is to be rich and famous. :)

Noah Baby Food

This is sad as fuck, an absolute insult, and totally predictable as well. Nu-Rave does not mean anything! It's a journalistic creation to sell dayglo clothes to little pricks! What the hell are they going to actually play?

I remember when Kiss FM fucked off Colins Dale and Favor's techno shows in the late 90s to make way for a Happy Hardcore show...same shit...(although HH is actually a clearly definable form of music, but you get what I mean).

Thing is, this is probably a good thing, in that grime and dubstep how now officially 'arrived'...they are not the hip new thing on the block, they are no longer perceived as trendy and no longer get the token crumbs off the broadcasters'/mags' table...they can get on with being underground forms of music that carry on for years and years...like techno! Grime/dubstep wants to look towards Mad Mike and those UR cats in Detroit as a business/ethical model...fuck them media pricks, all day! stay strong!

ha, yes, been saying this for tiiiime. in Leeds there are countless indie nights now that say they play 'electro', i.e. old 80s pop and possibly The Knife or something if they're feeling REALLY hip. absolute bullshit. Wouldn't know Cybotron or Aux 88 if it slapped 'em in the Palestinian scarf.

echevarian

babylon sister
What and Nu Rave's been incubating for decades has it? Dubstep's been evolving for seven years and now Radio 1 have dropped it at the first possible opportunity. Brilliant. :(

I'm sorry, I'm used to American radio.

Which means zero support for any kind of music that doesn't have massive marketing and/or payola campaigns behind it.

You guys have it pretty nice in the UK, at least Plastician had a show for awhile.

I get to listen to the greatest hits of Toby Keith and Brad Paisley at work every day.

I guarantee you that they are more irritating than the Klaxons.