non-D&B made by D&B producers

gumdrops

inspired by some posts on gutterbreakz' blog and some of the mp3s i downloaded and actually liked very much. i think most people seem to agree a lot of the attempts at making D&B live were lacking in most areas but im curious as to know how most D&B fans liked tracks like the ones from dollis hill which are more techno/electro ish or this hidden agenda big lamp track which sounds like boogie or laid back early 80s funk! do D&B fans hate them on principle or complain about them like grime fans do about 'hip hop sounding tracks'? or was it more accepted? if so, why?

hucks

Your Message Here
I think the one guy who got the most grief was Zinc for doing 138 Trek, the breakbeat garage track. I remember Fabio having to defend him on his show, saying it was up to Zinc to do whatever he wanted and people should stop complaining.

On any dnb album there would always be at least one non dnb track, generally of poor quality, to demonstrate the range of the artist. But dnb artist albums themselves were pretty rubbish, as I remember, so it's not like these weak trip hop tracks stood out.

Photek genreally got respect for his non dnb tracks, but that's cos they were good.

God I bet Zinc was crying all the way to the bank.

138 trek was an awesome track, opened a lot of people's eyes to the new sound that garage was becoming at that time.

I like how Lemon D often has those 2 minute intros on his tunes that are like little downbeat tracks in their own right.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
the first Foul Play LP struck me as very non-D&B...and who remembers Goldie's "jungle ballad" from Timeless?

I quite liked the soul/R&B stuff 4 Hero were doing before they completely crossed over...seemed to me that they were just better at that sort of thing...

leamas

Matrix did quite well with that prog house tune sampling Jill Scott, as Goldtrix I think. Adam F did well with his US hip hop stuff tho I didn't like it much. Photek 'Mine to Give' was also big with the house djs. However I don't think that many dnb djs paid much attention to the more leftfield stuff like dollis hill.

It's a shame because I still rate the dnb artists as producers/engineers. Would have loved to hear Doc Scott make a minimal techno tune for example.

Nice thread, good d&b nostalgia on here at the moment.

hucks

Your Message Here
Matrix did quite well with that prog house tune sampling Jill Scott, as Goldtrix I think.

That was Matrix? Well I never.

The Adam F Hip Hop stuff was genrally weak, yeah, but I liked Smash Somethin', which, I think, came out on like 12th September 2001 and got less than zero airplay as a result.

Alfons

Way of the future
On any dnb album there would always be at least one non dnb track, generally of poor quality, to demonstrate the range of the artist. But dnb artist albums themselves were pretty rubbish, as I remember, so it's not like these weak trip hop tracks stood out.

They always called them "downtempo" tunes and in every interview artists went on about them being an outlet for their love for other styles of music. It became a chore sticking one or two hip hop tunes on albums...

I actually quite like some of this stuff, some of the tunes of the metalbox (photek, optical, ed rush, lemon d), junction of sleepwalk, modus operandi, danny breaks, 4 hero stuff etc... Im actually putting together a mix of hip hop tunes from producers best known for dnb, I'll post it here once I finish.

elgato

I just dont know
some excellent contemporary examples...

Alpha Omega has been making some great broken techno / techno / house as Nubian Mindz

Martyn is killing it in dubstep

dHarry

Peshay's Miles From Home LP had plenty of downtempo/trip hop/hip hop and even a dn'b funk-pop effort with Kym Mazelle. A more integrated approach than the usual bolted-on thing, though of course veering into blandness.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
A more integrated approach than the usual bolted-on thing, though of course veering into blandness.

an even more integrated approach was Zinc's faster LP, which took his style across all different tempos, often in the same track. It's a very coherent LP.

polymorphic

Spatt Mendlove
Yea, Photek had that T-Raenon track on Kirk Degiorgio's Op-art. Still dnb but forward thinking. He also had a track on one of the Mo wax comps that was kinda Detroity (Degiorgioy ?). I seem to remember that muchly.