sticking loads of samples together

swears

preppy-kei
Avalanches style? Does anyone make tunes this way anymore? Not in a Girl Talk/2manyDJs megamix way, just tunes that you don't have to actually know what the loops are to appreciate it.
Never really liked that style much, but it seems strange that it's died off.

Do you mean like Public Enemy etc?

I think it died off when lawyers got involved and sample clearance got too expensive.

swears

preppy-kei
Do you mean like Public Enemy etc?

I think it died off when lawyers got involved and sample clearance got too expensive.

Yeah PE, also I suppose 3 feet High and Rising/Paul's Boutique was the high-watermark of this sound in terms of hip hop.

Lawyers didn't stop all the mid-90s stuff like DJ Shadow, DJ Crush, etc (which was the nadir) and they haven't stopped the 2manyDJs neo-Jive Bunny thing, so I guess it just went out of fashion, musically. The development of music software that emulates live instruments (orchestras, keys) may have played a part.

tate

Brown Sugar
Lawyers didn't stop all the mid-90s stuff like DJ Shadow, DJ Crush, etc (which was the nadir) and they haven't stopped the 2manyDJs neo-Jive Bunny thing, so I guess it just went out of fashion, musically. The development of music software that emulates live instruments (orchestras, keys) may have played a part.

Regarding the situation in the US, discussion of the subject doesn't really get very far without understanding this court decision: " . . .a panel of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Sept. 7 [2004] that a musician who copies any part -- even as little as two seconds -- of an existing recording without permission of the person who owns the copyright to the recording is in violation of the law. Bridgeport Music Inc. v. Dimension Films, No. 02-6521."

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1096473910640

Last edited:

marke

Tumbling Dice
sample based music is still ouit there, but the costs to get samples cleared make it impossible for most stuff to get clearance.
see the whole Go! Team debut album issue.
took them months of hard work and restructuring the album to get it cleared for the US market. no idea if the bands new album is as sample based, but the debut most certainly was all sample based.
so it is still made, but i guess its currently in a more subtle form.

ps. i aint feeling Girl Talk at all yet.
Steinski rates them very highly .. to me its just more of the same, and nothing special.
should i persist and track more down ?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Avalanches style? Does anyone make tunes this way anymore? Not in a Girl Talk/2manyDJs megamix way, just tunes that you don't have to actually know what the loops are to appreciate it.
Never really liked that style much, but it seems strange that it's died off.

Madlib's stuff is really sample-based. Check out "Loop Digger" under his Quasimoto alias. I think Jason Forrest/Donna Summer works mostly with samples as well -- his stuff is sort of silly and proggy, coming from a breakcore background.

swears

preppy-kei
Madlib's stuff is really sample-based. Check out "Loop Digger" under his Quasimoto alias. I think Jason Forrest/Donna Summer works mostly with samples as well -- his stuff is sort of silly and proggy, coming from a breakcore background.

Yeah, obviously hip hop producers are still using loops, I generally meant instrumental stuff. I hadn't heard much about Jason Forrest's stuff recently I suppose it's similar in spirit to Kid606's "Action Packed Mentalist..." LP.
But that's the distinction I'm making, there are a lot of campy mash-ups like Girl Talk's where you here pop songs or whatever get sonically mauled and combined in unexpected ways, (and I suppose this is true of certain sampling in the past) but I was thinking more about when the producers build a track up out of samples in a crate-digging DJ Shadow/Prince Paul style, and they are almost deliberately obscure for the most part.

tht

akstavrh
the new panda bear album 'person pitch' (a very fine album naturally) the sleevenotes of which contain a long list of influences most of which seem to appear as the samples comprising 90% of the album eg tornados, luomo, cat stevens, field recordings of (inter alia) portuguese owls and sundry other shit

Last edited:

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Yeah, obviously hip hop producers are still using loops, I generally meant instrumental stuff. I hadn't heard much about Jason Forrest's stuff recently I suppose it's similar in spirit to Kid606's "Action Packed Mentalist..." LP.
But that's the distinction I'm making, there are a lot of campy mash-ups like Girl Talk's where you here pop songs or whatever get sonically mauled and combined in unexpected ways, (and I suppose this is true of certain sampling in the past) but I was thinking more about when the producers build a track up out of samples in a crate-digging DJ Shadow/Prince Paul style, and they are almost deliberately obscure for the most part.

I haven't heard a lot of the Jason Forrest stuff, but it's not really mashups... He uses a lot of recognizable classic rock riffs, sometimes with a sense of humor (although his stuff under the Donna Summer moniker is sillier) but he makes new songs out of them. It's a bit too cluttered and mid-range for my tastes though.

Is Negativland still going?

I think this is an interesting dichotomy in sampledelic music -- using recognizable samples to give a track a "boost" of familiarity vs. cratedigging obscurantism. Dance vs. hip hop?