Favourite Jungle MCs

luka

my favourite was navigator. then ragga twins \. those three were the best and they used to do sets on kool fm together. those were the best shows. can you get those on the internet do you think? i also like stevie hyper d./ 5-O, fearless, yankee and det.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'd love to hear some Navigator and Ragga Twins sets, they were the Dons, coming up through reggae soundsystems...

I was always partial to MC MC as well. "respected in my manor by the older and the younger"...

Don Rosco

I like my MCs with Maximum Authority. It's all about the confidence. Minimal rhyming too, please. Not none, but certainly not endless skibadadibada.

GQ is pretty much the blueprint for that style. His voice just commands. Pure consistent too, right up to this day.

Dynamite, on his day was breathtaking - I have a tape from a rave in leicester with Roni Size. Again, it's the authority. You fucking jump because he's fucking telling you to, right? When he asks for noise, you fucking make it! Just spitting the lyrics - all leicester crew, all derby crew. I've never heard the midlands sound so slick!

Ragga Twins of course. I'm not sure I have strong opinions on many others that youse would have heard of. MC Stitch was the best one in Dublin anyway!

nomos

Administrator
GQ is pretty much the blueprint for that style. His voice just commands. Pure consistent too, right up to this day.

GQ is my favourite for sure, but above all for sets circa 1993, before he begins to sound entirely sure of his command over the dance. He's less boomy and there are these instances where he keeps his cool but you can tell he's also trying to ride the chaos of the moment. I like that bit of uncertainty.

I have just one set with Dbo General and he's fantastic on it. One of my all time favourites.

mister matthew

yep MC MC

and he didn't do jungle much that i remember but i loved Robbie D

I remember seeing a picture of him after listening to tapes with him on for ages, and being suitably impressed that he looked like a dread locked alien. It was a bit like the opposite of football commentators not looking like what they should do.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I was always partial to that General Levy...

(ducks)

anybody remember when "Incredible" first charted, and there were rumors that Levy had been beaten up by hard-core junglists for not being sufficiently, uh, hard-core?...does stuff like that still happen?...did it ever?

DJL

i'm joking
I was always partial to that General Levy...

(ducks)

anybody remember when "Incredible" first charted, and there were rumors that Levy had been beaten up by hard-core junglists for not being sufficiently, uh, hard-core?...does stuff like that still happen?...did it ever?

General Levy got slated because he claimed in an interview (for I think Mixmag) that he invented Jungle..

Favourite Jungle MCs for me are Navigator, Moose and Five-O. Have got an excellent DJ Ron tape from Roast at the Astoria in 94/95 with them on which I'll upload when I get a chance.

Juiceman is still one of my all time favourites though.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
did juiceman go on to mc over garage? i think the mc over that 2001 jay da flex radio 1 2 step set is called juiceman...

DJL

i'm joking
Yeah that is the same Juiceman.

I remember going to a night where he was MCing back in 94/95 with some friends. We turned up and no one was there yet so just chilled at a table and had a drink. After a little while Juiceman walked in with about 3 nutcase looking younger lads and proceeded to start MCing to us at the table while his entourage started shocking out. Was incredible.

DJL

i'm joking
Shit I can't believe I forgot Bassman. He is my favourite or used to be when he was at his peak.

DJL

i'm joking
There is one on that golden era jungle site that is very good.
If you can't find it will upload at the weekend along with the Ron set.

DJL

i'm joking
Doesn't Bassman roll with Shadow Deamons, which Skepta is allegedly part of?

Bassman is Shadowdemon. Not sure of others - Trigga, Lenni and other Birmingham MCs I think. No idea about Skepta. Juiceman also performed with them fairly often.

I've got a single sided tape of Club Sidewinder 2003 era D&B which has Juiceman MCing a small segment. Very so so, both the music and the 500mph mcing.

on the same tape pack I've got a mediocre Garage mix (ie. shouldnt have been recorded and sold to punters) with Juiceman proving a bit boring. I guess it's the Ghost trax stuff that he really shines on.

Last edited: