Do you pay for mp3s?

Mp3s - do you cough up or not?

• I never pay for mp3s - I hate them / don't use them / rip my CDs

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never pay for mp3s - I download em for free!

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I have bought the odd tune in the past

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • I occasionally pay for them

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I pay for some mp3s every month

Votes: 14 17.5%

• Total voters

john eden

male pale and stale
Personally I have never paid for an mp3. I tend to still buy CDs (ready made back up!) and rip them.

I probably just value having a physical object still as well.

Am I just being a git? once again none of these applies to me, I seldom download mp3s but I make them out of my records and I copy them from friends.

I have never paid for one but almost never downloaded one either.

john eden

male pale and stale
"rip them from CDs" can also count as "rip from vinyl". So option 1 for you?

I.e. you pay for your music in some fashion (buying records) rather than soulseeking all your music or buying off itunes or whatever.

It's actually very hard to get legal MP3's. Until they do away with the subscription requirements a la Itunes it cant be considered a serious industry. after all, real shops dont charge you for the privilege of making them money.

If someone were to invent a comprehensive search engine for finding legal MP3's (like a digital version of GEMM) it would remove the need for having to look at countless websites to find what you want

zhao

there are no accidents
i'm a download junky. there i said it. guilty as charged. i should be locked up with keys thrown away... :eek:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i was wondering about downloading from boomkat/bleep etc.... i just got my first debit card and was gonna start downloading mp3s legally. are they worth it? have people had bad experiences or is it generally quite good? there doesn't seem to be that many dubstep grime downloads etc but for techno and house there's a fair few.

marke

Tumbling Dice
only ever really bought one thing via mp3 route.
that was the freelance hellraiser/paul maccartney collab as i didn't wanto to break the seal on the vinyl i had, and there was never a cd copy pressed up (despite the ebay bootlegs - there was never an official cd release). so, other than - nah .. i dont buy mp3s.
in fact, i'm with the fuck 128s brigade.
i cant abide 128s. anything less than 160 and its just painful to listen to ..
and no, i'm not a sad cabling audiophile, but someone who likes some whomph, and fizz in the sonics on my normal mid-range system.
studio bods spend hours making a sound rumble, the least we can do, is give the music a chance to represent the musicians desire, and 128s just kill that whole process dead.
also regarding that brilliant thread re the decline of the industry, while i have no real sympathy with majors, i do go along with the whole collector scum aspect of music.
i like a label to have an identity, i like to subscribe to the labels belief system, and trust their judgements in their releases, so to see the labels suffer as so many are doing now, is quite a tragedy in my opinion and not something to be gloated over.
there are some serious lovers of music running small, well known labels really struggling (no names - and not really dissensus related ), and i think this can only be a bad thing, as so many artists need the label to perform the day-to-day action of getting the music out there. so many musicians just aint into that aspect, they jsut want to make music, and let others perform the business slog.
enough rambling, and back to lurking ..
m.e/ireallylovemusic

to see the labels suffer as so many are doing now, is quite a tragedy in my opinion and not something to be gloated over.

oh I agree when we are talking about small labels.
I don't even think of labels run from someone's house as "the music industry".

when I talk about the end of the industry not being a day too soon I mean the big companies that screw artists, churn out identikit "products", etc etc.

mos dan

fact music
only ever really bought one thing via mp3 route.

me too. i have spent a grand total of 99p on mp3s - it was kt&kano - 'leave me alone', and that was just cause i needed it in a hurry to review.

i can't ever see myself spending serious money on a digital product if i have the option to get a tangible product for money, or a digital product for free, as is the case now.

marke

Tumbling Dice
BTW : the "gloated over" statement wasn't aimed at anyone per se, more a general statement over the whole free music for all via p2p and fuck the people it hurts financially mindset that has become de facto ..

marke

Tumbling Dice
I don't even think of labels run from someone's house as "the music industry".

oh, i think you can go up a few levels from the cottage industry, and the pain is really beginning to kick in at the moment. known labels you'd think were well established with well known, supposedly good selling acts, are having issues making ends meet to pay the bills. and if this level of the industry go pop, we are all in a situation where the majors just fuck us all over with their dross, as a lot of these smaller labels are like talent scouts for the majors now - who then licence the stuff for the rest of the world to enjoy.

Guybrush

Dittohead
in fact, i'm with the fuck 128s brigade.
i cant abide 128s. anything less than 160 and its just painful to listen to ..
and no, i'm not a sad cabling audiophile, but someone who likes some whomph, and fizz in the sonics on my normal mid-range system.
studio bods spend hours making a sound rumble, the least we can do, is give the music a chance to represent the musicians desire, and 128s just kill that whole process dead.

With all due respect, it seems like you are commenting on the state of affairs circa 2001 or something. Next to all newly encoded files are over 200kbit VBR. (Quick browse through some recent [illegal] downloads: 219kbit [VBR], 254kbit [VBR], 214kbit [VBR], 192kbit, 224kbit, 231kbit [VBR].)

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
No one gets a thrill from downloading obscure 64kbps tracks from dodgy websites in foreign languages?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I download a lot of mixes but never individual tracks. I rip them from CDs or, when I can be arsed with the hassle, vinyl.

Although, now that I think about it, most of my music listening these days is done from MP3s. I'm becoming like one of those Jewish jazz fans in New York, who buy a record, play it once to record it, then never play it again.

marke

Tumbling Dice
Next to all newly encoded files are over 200kbit VBR. (Quick browse through some recent [illegal] downloads: 219kbit [VBR], 254kbit [VBR], 214kbit [VBR], 192kbit, 224kbit, 231kbit [VBR].)

fair enuff.
as you can probably tell, i dont really get into all that side of things.
personal choice and all that.
glad to be corrected, and hear that mp3s are now better at walloping stereo systems properly.

Anderai

Most recent MP3 purchase for me was 'Ghost Hardware' from Boomkat. I've bought stuff from Itunes, Bleep and Shut Up And Dance.....I agree that 128kps is pretty lame and generally wouldn't touch anything under 192kps VBR.

I buy loads of CDs as well and as far as illegal downloads go, (i.e. Soulseek) it's usually for old skool ardkore/jungle/garage or 80's electro, pretty much stuff that won't be re-issued any time soon.

marke

Tumbling Dice
oops.
i should point out that my original 128 statement was in response to the Record Industry in Decline discussion and the points raised about peoples listening habits these days, and not about the quality of files form the download stores.
as i agree, the quality of the files of the one album i did buy (from Connect !) was perectly acceptable.

leamas

I buy quite a few mp3s online, and probably spend as much on mp3s as I used to on vinyl. Bleep and boomkat are good, kompakt is good for the odd minimal track. Beatport used to be good until they hiked the price up to 1.50 for each track, meaning that a 4 track ep can be more expensive on mp3 than vinyl - :slanted: I avoid iTunes at all cost for obvious reasons. What I can't find on mp3 outside of iTunes I usually get from soulseek or the like.

I'd be very happy to pay a yearly subscription to some kind of central licensing body like the PPL for downloading music. I honestly think that this is the way forward. Emusic have the right idea but the catalogue's not there yet.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I went for the first one - virtually all the mp3s on my computer are rips from my own CDs or friends' CDs. The only exception is (mainly ardkore / jungle) rarities. If it's only available for £300 off ebay I don't feel too guilty about downloading it...