George Melly dead

STN

sou'wester
I'm sad. 'Owning Up' is without doubt one of the funniest books I have ever read.

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
A great man, and a great stoner, and his performance on The Stranglers' Old Codger was fantastic.

off the Black and White album.. i love the stranglers! one of the most underrated british bands of all time.. *derailment warning*

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
what a very great shame- hedonistic without rock star silliness, witty, erudite and an enormous authority on surrealism to boot- a genuine british eccentric- peace out.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Friend of mines Dad had to “look after him” in Manchester (he was pretty old by then), Mr M insisted on going for a drink – Silver Birch, Wythenshawe (on of Manchesters ruffest pubs) – the local vermin LOVED him! Think he scored some weed.
(Mind you there was that tale about him scaring off some muggers with a recitation of a bit o’ Kurt Schwitters)
top bloke “walked it like he talked it”

I've never heard of this guy before

or read any of his books but I always say R.I.P when someone passes and this is no different

R.I.P - enjoy your sleep

Transpontine

history is made at night
George Melly - raver

I am writing a book on the history of social dancing in London (17th century onwards), Melly's books are a goldmine of detail on music scenes and places. One of the things I was intrigued by in his 'Owning Up' is a whole section on how his bandmate Mick Mulligan (who also died recently) started putting out publicity for what they called 'all night raves' and making lots of puns about ravers. This was in the late 1940s and is the earliest mention I have found so far of 'ravers' or of 'rave' for a party ('rave-up' seems to have been used a bit earlier in the 40s). I've got a couple of the relevant Melly extracts up on my site if anyone's interested: http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com/search?q=george+melly

PeteUM

It's all grist
My favourite Melly story is where he told Mick Jagger to his face that he was looking a little wrinkly, and Jagger said something like "laughter lines, dear boy" and Melly said "nothing's that funny!"