I saw Clipse in Leeds last night...

Noah Baby Food

...and it was high quality. Played for an hour, bought Ab-Liva with them, did mix of old and new and mixtape stuff. They grafted hard, which is refreshing to see considering the slackness displayed by some US cats when they come over. Nice down-to-earth lads as well by all accounts. Was nuts to see them in such a small venue...main room of the Faversham holds 4-500 tops...was busy but not too rammed, which surprised me. Warm up DJ played "Donkey Kick" and "Stageshow Riddim" amongst others, which was refreshing. The venue is known as indie-scenester-tight jeans central, so it was good to see a properly mixed crowd down there feeling it.

Not sure if Clipse have got any UK dates left, but you should see them if you get the chance.

tom pr

I was going to see them at Shepherd's Bush Empire, but they played the same night as the Wiley launch party with double the ticket prices. Still, I'd love to see them, they're miles ahead of any hiphop act on the planet right now.

crackerjack

I was going to see them at Shepherd's Bush Empire, but they played the same night as the Wiley launch party with double the ticket prices. Still, I'd love to see them, they're miles ahead of any hiphop act on the planet right now.

Didn't see the Shep Bush show, though people I know who did said the place was half empty and the vibes subdued. Saw Wu Tang at Hammersmith last night tho - now that was a mental gig. God knows how you can have so many, so disorganised blokes on the same stage and still get away with it. But get away with it they did, just, thanks to Meth - weird how the one member whose studio track record is one of lazy underacheivement is such a dynamo onstage.

gumdrops

i didnt see them cos i thought they wouldnt be very good. good to know they are though (even if i didnt see them).

Noah Baby Food

I think you two have got yer wires crossed. I think Barry is referring to the Wu and Gumdrops Clipse.

Who's better than Clipse? hmmmm...the only possibility is that little Whoopie Goldberg looking cat with tears tattooed on his face, from down Louisiana way.

Who's worse than Mims, though? There's one for ya.

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
the first time i heard clipse was on the timberlake track "like i love you".. didn't realise he was down for his crown..

viktorvaughn

Didn't see the Shep Bush show, though people I know who did said the place was half empty and the vibes subdued. Saw Wu Tang at Hammersmith last night tho - now that was a mental gig. God knows how you can have so many, so disorganised blokes on the same stage and still get away with it. But get away with it they did, just, thanks to Meth - weird how the one member whose studio track record is one of lazy underacheivement is such a dynamo onstage.

I'm going in Manny tonight! Good to hear the standards hopefully.

gumdrops

ah, yeah wu tang are sadly pretty poor these days on record. inevitable though - it couldnt last forever. just sad it was such a quick decline. it all fell apart when rza stopped being in control of their projects...

crackerjack

The biggest disappointment last night was Rae - he was standing around the back of the stage, bottle in one hand, mic in the other, doing a lot more swigging than rapping. He's got very very fat and taken on the air of an angry wino shouting "fuck that shit" at everything that passes. I look forward to that long-delayed Cuban Links Part 2 lp about as much as ODB's next record.

crackerjack

ah, yeah wu tang are sadly pretty poor these days on record. inevitable though - it couldnt last forever. just sad it was such a quick decline. it all fell apart when rza stopped being in control of their projects...

I think their decline is overstated. We all agree that Ghostface is still the bollocks, don't we? I thought Iron Flag was dope and Masta Killa's 1st LP was great, and er, that's about it.

gumdrops

hmm. i dont really like ghostface anymore. i mean, its good for what it is but it just seems safe and him doing what people expect. he makes good records but they just seem a bit 'dead' ideas/inspiration wise. i think raekwon is still technically great, if a little workmanlike - i think cuban linx could still be good. calling it cuban linx is a mistake but he was good on that track he did with busta, even if he seems to have been writing the same verse over and over for years.

hucks

Your Message Here
I saw the Wu in Manchester, andd totally agree with Crakerjack's review of the Hammersmith show. Meth was pure charisma and energy. Only disapointment was GZA - his mic was too quiet, and he didn't really get involved like the others did.

They previewed a new track at the end - just played it off the decks, didn't bother rapping. Didn't sound very good, to be honest.