vangelis help!

appleblim

ok, so i love the Bladerunner s'track, and Lindstrom has just covered 'Let It Happen' on his Late Night Tales mix...(which i heard Todd Terje drop recently, it was ACE!)

so what should i be checking by Vangelis???

i always thought there MUST be more than just Bladerunner...

anyone got any tips?

cheers

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
i've got the vangelis discog - none of it really inspired me, odd classic aside.. there's far greater out there..

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Vangelis made some crap, but the good stuff outnumbers the bad IMO. Lots of gems to discover. My personal favorites:

Soil Festivities (deep, strange and mystical electro-orchestral ambient)
Beaubourg (amazing avant garde)
Albedo 0.39 (freaked out electronic prog)
Mask (dark, heavy pseudo-orchestral/choral)
L'Apocalypse des Animaux (soothing proto-chill out)
Heaven and Hell (more instrumental prog insanity)
Invisible Connections (somewhere in between ambient and old school avant-tronics)
See You Later (don't really know how to describe this... eccentric post-prog-pop?)

See this old thread for further details:

http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=3067

DRMHCP

First got him through an article about 10 years ago in a dance magazine "50 pioneers of dance/electronic music" or something...quite like that "El Greco" album he did

bruno

est malade
regarding the thread question, my picks would be rêve from opera sauvage (1979), which is a long, suspended thing propelled by a subtle rhythm, a proto-blade runner sort of piece. and something off the antarctica soundtrack (1983), which has its moments.

incidentally, the official blade runner soundtrack is notoriously stunted, to hear the score in full glory you need to find the bootleg esper edition.

escdotdot

Wild Horses
have a go at China, an absolute classic! I also have fond memories of Heaven and Hell, not least for the photo on the inside of the gatefold of the man self-combusting trying to play all his synths at once!

polystyle

Memories Of Green

Hey Bruno
this Blade Runner esper v you mention -
Is that the same thing as the 1994 TimeWarner 'Blade Runner by Vangelis' release ?
I've seen the 'esper' around in stores time to time ...

'Cuz in those liners he mentions 'Most of the music contained in this album originates from recordings I made in London while working on the score ...
Some pieces are from the Original soundtrack and 'some are here for the first time.'

This one has the classic Denis Roussos vocals on Tales Of The Future ...
Very much agree with you and Appleblim on just how good this sdtk is,
as i've been listening to it again in prep as we are doing a 'Live Soundtrack' thing with
Blade Runner Directors Cut in August.
Luckily I've saved some Sean Young vocal outtakes from another performance with her that we'll mix into new B R Replicant Night pieces.

Cheers

polystyle

Off World Colonies night

Well , that Blade Runner esper version really is special ...
Anamoid Row indeedy deed

DRMHCP

over the last couple of days been listening to Soil Festivities after the recommendation on here...absolutely stunning album...over 20 years old but pisses all over a lot of the more recent ambient stuff...definitely going to have to check out some of the other stuff of his I haven't heard

MiltonParker

seconding Hamarplazt's recommendations to the letter

would add his debut album 'Earth', where he's transitioning from the prog rock of Aphrodite's Child & still rocking quite a bit. & also would throw in that Espers edition of 'Blade Runner' as mentioned above -- assembled using a print of the film sent out to international studios for foreign language dubbing -- just the soundscape, effects, ambience and music, no dialogue

favorites probably 'Heaven and Hell', side two of 'L'Apocalypse des Animaux' and 'Beaubourg', though 'See You Later' gets points for being influenced by G Moroder and being a weird split concept album about a) writer's block and b) underground survivors of the apocalypse

Vangelis exposes you to both intolerable mountains of cheese and the most beautiful cosmic summits, often on the same album, I can never drop my guard entirely but I totally love the guy

Last edited:

MankyFiver

cos its fucking hilarious

double prog rock lp about revelations by vangelis and demis roussous!

how can you not like it

" the leading horse is white..."

polystyle

'Definitive Cut' of Blade Runner coming

Aha, it appears another recombinant Blade Runner edit and set of boxes will be coming out
in time for Christmas ...

polystyle

Hmmm ...
Giorgio has done some cool stuff himself sure ,
but coming in so late onto this movie ... ?

Well , we'll be doing our harder edged , electroid sdtk remake / remix live Sept. 9 anyway ,
before the new Screenings in Oct. and before the Box sets arrive.
Slide it into some tiny fragment of public consciousness in our small way , Yer Tube en plus ...