Music-Writers With Style

satanmcnugget

this may be a bit weird, posting about someone who may actually be a member here, but...

ive come across the writing of Don Allred on the FreeLance Mentalists blog, as well as the Village Voice...and Ive not encounterd music-writing like this in a loooong time, perhaps never...he has what i think is a really original literary style of writing...what do you lot think of his work, and do you know any other music-writers working in a similar vein?

cozen

don allred is really awesome. I was introduced to him by f. kogan (who has a book coming out soon) ("real punks don't wear black"). you should search 'allred' in the ilx archives. there are some great block-quoted, over-driven paragraphs of him there. but yeah, a music writer with style. his own voice!

cozen

working in a similar vein? I'm not sure abt *like* don but there are plenty w. distinctive, original voices (these ones are usually the best) (though there are some who reach that dizzy height through sheer enthusiasm and persistence alone) but I don't want to name *names* since I've already named them so many other places and it can get a bit slurp slurp when you know most of them on and off from e-mail, dissensus, ilx, wherever.

cozen

yeah, dbs, DA showed up towards the END and just started talking (obv. to HIMSELF) and the thing he ws saying? god no-one would listen BUT tonight I threw potatoes at people and it wasn't *half* as good as don, on ilx or otherwise.