Lisbon - Kuduro

run_time

Am heading to Portugal this week and wondering does anyone have any advice for checking out Kuduro in Lisbon for white faced non Portuguese speaking fellow like myself.

any feedback gratefully received

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
hey run_time.. i haven't been to lisbon in years, i don't recall much of interest to do there besides eating fish.. is it a business trip?

i'd be interested in any kuduro recommendations you have though, for me to consume..

Last edited:
I hear most of the scene is centered around Amadora, just outside Lisbon.
Would be extremely interested in some Kuduro tips if anyone could help, copped that Frederic Galliano and the Kuduro Soundsystem album its pretty nice altho I would preffer to get my hands on some of the proper Angolan stuff.

polystyle

Hmm, was just in Lisbon March - April but totally missed the live & club Kudura action ,
( missed Jououka too ) .
Didn't hear any on the street either.
Wonderful city (Porto too !) so enjoy it man !

Lots a Kudura through Google tho'

claphands

Poorly-known member
I hear most of the scene is centered around Amadora, just outside Lisbon.
Would be extremely interested in some Kuduro tips if anyone could help, copped that Frederic Galliano and the Kuduro Soundsystem album its pretty nice altho I would preffer to get my hands on some of the proper Angolan stuff.

a lot of the best stuff is just available on cdrs on the streets of luanda, maputo, praia etc. But I don't see why there wouldn't be shit in Lisboa as well. I'll be in Portugual this coming December and I hope that if I can't find some good Kuduro I can at least grab some Tuga hip hop.

the digital shit is all over soulseek though if you look hard enough

redcrescent

Lisboa and Portugal in general are awesome, I go at least once a year to visit my parents who live there. You will not regret a visit.

I'm by no means more than a beggar for good tunes without any knowledge or heavyweight connections, but writing quickly I'll share the little wisdom I have:

Authoritative in all matters regarding African music: the Benn Loxo du Tàccu blog (ever thankful to sufi for pointing this out), sure enough there's a fairly recent bit on kuduro with some useful information for you. I can second almost everything, while there try and see if you can see Buraka Som Sistema - an Amadora-based Portuguese / Angolan outfit - performing somewhere. They play out quite a lot and it's a great party vibe with tremendous energy, I saw them on two occasions last year and all I can say is: Dress to sweat!

For CDs, I'd love to be able to tell you where to get fresh CDRs but I haven't been to anywhere in Amadora except the José Gomes stadium and I'm afraid that nothing is easier than going to FNAC in the Centro Comercial Colombo (right next to the Estadio da Luz where Benfica play), you can always hang out a while and ask staff or other shoppers about stuff and listen before you buy. In general, there are a lot of events being advertised on posters in the street. The F. Galliano CD mentioned earlier is a good if short intro, basically a collection of tracks from Dog Murras, Pa Diesel etc. albums which also appeared on the Frikyiwa label. Smart move from Mr Galliano some might say (he also did that whole Malian divas stuff which you might find fantastic or fantastically exploitative) but you cannot argue with the quality of the music. Dog Murras in particular is the business, he looks like the Angolan 50 Cent but has a voice like gravel.

While you're out and about, if your music dispenser of choice has an FM tuner: RTP, Portuguese state radio, have a station - RTP Africa - dedicated to music & current affairs (& mad footie broadcasts, but it's off season) in the PALOPs (Lusophone countries in Africa), you might not hear much kuduro but certainly a lot of lovely kizomba (means "party" in Kimbundu and sounds like Angolan zouk) all day long.

Hope you have a good trip!

Oh and, first post after a 1 yr+ hiatus from Dissensus and the digital world in general, hello from Mexico and nice to be back with you all.

redcrescent

Thanks claphands! run_time, you back yet? How'd you do?

Loving some of the mad, great kuduro videos on Youtube. There's one of a recent Buraka Som Sistema performance at Fabric - good, but not a patch on the schoolkids and Discoteca Luanda clips.

run_time

thanks for all your help...didn't come across any Kuduro live (missed one of the Buraka crew playing records by one night) but did catch some lovely African music at an arts space in the Barrio Alto. spent a fair bit of time at the FNAC and picked up a Buraka piece but nothing else although was tempted by a few more traditional African compilations but the fact that the majority of them came from places outside Portugal or Africa left me feeling that i would probably be just as well served looking in London

Lisbon is lovely...not gagging to go back again but would firmly recommend it as a beautiful city where a fun time can be had. less clubs and more drinking out on the street (at least in summer

zhao

there are no accidents
the proper Angolan stuff.

you mean like this?

frik_manya.jpg

Manya - Made In Angola

something i picked up in Ljubijana last week -- this is truly awesome stuff but hard to describe... maybe imagine if Cesaria Evora produced bass heavy dance music -- soul stirring, sweetly aching melodies fit for big sound systems.

from back of the disc:

The characteristic of Manya is to establish the link between the various popular styles from the music of Angola: Sembe, Kizomba, and more... Its production is a mixing between the musical programming and acoustic instruments.

this is a "best of" compiled by the french dude Frederick Galliano who has done a lot recently to expose things like this out to the world on the label Frikyiwa. (but his own music is without much inspiration -- annoyingly slaps a house beat onto African diva voices -- and should probably be ignored)

link removed. go buy it and help these amazing and amazingly poor musicians.

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
Cheers for this zhao,

I didnt think Galliano s 'Kuduro Sound System' (think thats what he called it) cd was all that bad - certainlly not as bad as slapping house beats on diva vox, but yeah nowhere near as good as the more 'legit' stuff. What would I know tho, I might as well be in a differant universe where I live :slanted:

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah that CD is wicked. but Galliano didn't do a thing on it did he? other than maybe production or marketing.

doom

Public Housing
I know he def used his name to push it, but I got the feeling he built alot of the beats - or co-produced em or something. He spent some time in Angola & some of the press implied he'd been given the 'ok' by the locals. Dunno how much of that was hype tho.

Its a wikid CD, awesome sleeve/artwork as well.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
y'all kuduro heads been to this place, right?

i've only clicked on a few random tracks and it's pretty raw stuff, no hipsterism anywhere in sight. (hidden in all those single track links is the awesomest video ever)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
anyone know of any places to actually buy this stuff on the internet? i've downloaded a bit but i really want to get more. am on a bit of an african jag after the girlfriend brought a good chunk of kwaito and zulu house back from south africa for me recently.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
anyone know of any places to actually buy this stuff on the internet? i've downloaded a bit but i really want to get more. am on a bit of an african jag after the girlfriend brought a good chunk of kwaito and zulu house back from south africa for me recently.

what did you get kwaito-wise stelfox? Anything new and rockin you'd recommend? i'm back out there in autumn but have lost track of what's happenin a bit