System of a Down

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
any SOAD fans here? i'm getting nowhere with my cv but loving 'the string quartet tribute to system of a down' album.. i don't like all SOAD's stuff but what i do like, i love.

i get so much out of em: my favourite emotions (terror, danger, fear, anger), diverse musical influences (e.g. armenian folk), interesting subject matters (history, folklore, society, suffering, corruption, bad politics).. the songs are often from the perspective of the oppressed / invaded / affected, which i like.. they've no airs and graces - not a tattoo amongst them, just regular geeks with similar passions and beef.. they've none of the novelties i tire of in hard rock, like being overty goth, devil-worshipping, masculine etc.

hypnotize is a joint-fave-album-of-all-time.. toxicity is great too..

Last edited:

Transpontine

history is made at night
Having seen so many 11 year olds wearing their t-shirt I must admit I had dismissed them as just another band appealing to empty pubescent rage, but now I have actually listened to them I do like them. Kind of reminds me of some of the heavier 80s punk stuff (Discharge, Amebix, Antisect). Especially love BYOB - the 'why do they always send the poor' bit makes my hair stand up on my neck, sometimes angry subject matter really needs an angry sound and not many people can do it convincingly. System of a Down so can.

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
yeah, i (and everyone else i know) initially viewed them like that.. their popularity with the kids is largely founded off the back of "Chop Suey" with lyrics like "father, why have you forsaken me?" etc..

i downloaded Hypnotize on a whim one night after digging the Toxicity video and learning RZA had teamed up with the bassist.. it blew my ass off - listened to it twice, back to back.. went on to cane it like no other album i'd owned since i was at school..

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, oh dear, SOAD - I have to admit, I bought their debut album when it came out, and quite enjoyed it for a while, but after their second one came out, and I started to listen to the lyrics and read the stuff they put in their record sleeves, I came to the conclusion they were in effect a Rage Against The Machine for pre-schoolers, with music that was basically a Mr. Bungle rip-off with heavier guitars and lots of screaming.

They're like a 9/11 conspiracy theory made flesh.

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
if i'd have discovered the group at the beginning, i'd probably feel the same way.. i don't like their first album at all.. toxicity however, is good.. loving 'science', 'forest', 'ariels', 'toxicity' and 'chop suey' off that..

i discovered the group at the end of their career and worked backwards through the discog.. Hypnotize (final album) in my headphones was "right place, right time".

mos dan

fact music
the lyrics to 'prison song' are effing hilarious. still got a lotta love for 'toxicity' as an album though

Octopus?

Really enjoyed the first two albums (the first album was a locked in high school favourite), but diminishing returns definitely set in once they let the guitarist write and *ahem* 'sing' more.

Also one of the worst live performances I've ever seen after much build-up.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Has anyone seen the genocide documentary they're in?

screamers.jpg