hulme myspace page

crackerjack

got sent this link for myspace page devoted to the city of hulme, w/ emphasis on late 80s acid house scene. rather interesting . . . .

www.myspace.com/exhulme

and the more expansive website = www.exhulme.co.uk

the 'city of Hulme' is in Manchester, about a mile from the centre and half that from the Hac, although it did often feel like its own republic. There was a kind of unspoken agreement that the council woudn't hassle you for rent, but nor would they ever repair anything.I was there during the acid house era and drugs were abundant, law was non-existent. Does that myspace page mention The Kitchen - a semi-permanent 'club' housed in two knocked-thru flats in Charles Barry Crescent?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
the 'city of Hulme' is in Manchester, about a mile from the centre and half that from the Hac, although it did often feel like its own republic. There was a kind of unspoken agreement that the council woudn't hassle you for rent, but nor would they ever repair anything.I was there during the acid house era and drugs were abundant, law was non-existent. Does that myspace page mention The Kitchen - a semi-permanent 'club' housed in two knocked-thru flats in Charles Barry Crescent?

Yeah it does, it doesn't mention tripping over people who'd taken 100 tabs of acid though. It was its own republic, wasn't it? It was like living in a Mad Max film, or the Crisis comic to be more accurate.

Fuck me the story of this place is brilliant, I'm amazed I've never heard of this before. Definitely one of the most outlandish utopian estates.

So would any Mancs care to answer: Did the good aspects of the area outweigh the bad?

dominic

Beast of Burden
actually, the person who sent me the link used to do parties on the crescents -- that is, the "epping walk" parties circa 1990

he grew up in salford, but had uncles and cousins in hulme -- so by the time he was 15 or so, he spent most of his time in the crescents -- around 86/87 -- and for about 5 years he did nothing but hang out in the crescents, smoke spliff and listen to house music all day, and do the "epping walk" party every two weeks or so

the crescents oddly fulfilled what they were designed to encourage -- community among residents of the crescents -- in the 70s, the crescents were still new and so had working families -- but by 1980 or so, the conditions had become dilapidated, crime soared, and units had become increasingly unrentable -- and so this is how the squatters and the like moved in

that is, the crescents were populated in the 1980s by young working-class mancunians of irish and afro-carribean origin, people aged 15 and up mostly -- and then there was an influx of students and wanderers -- units were traded on the black market or were simply claimed as squats -- some units were delapidated, but others were miracles of interior design as done-over by young artists and the like

the elevated path ways connecting the crescents were over-run withs rats and other vermin, and so were known as "rat runs" -- and people were mugged and robbed left and right b/c police didn't patrol the walkways b/c not technically part of the public streets -- however, if people knew who you were, could tell that you were "cool" or whatever, then you could walk the pathways in relative safety

and most everybody lived as my friend did -- idle and unemployed -- some were artists, some were thugs, some did nothing at all, and all were into house music -- on one end of the crescents the happy mondays might be playing a small party, and at the same time at six or seven other points on the crescents there might also be parties -- it was one massive constant never-ending party -- hundreds of people with their own small soundsystems, drugs in plentiful supply, including e's high on the mdma quotient -- apartment units were transformed into makeshift clubs, walls knocked down, spiral staircases installed b/w different levels, groovy psychedelic murals -- acid house graffiti all along the walkways, etc, etc

the hippie-wanderers who squatted in the crescents were the original rave organizers in the countryside, for the simple reason that knew where all the best open fields were -- and the thugs were the ones who would control the security

but the real party was on the crescents, lasting for a good 5 years, 86/87 to 91/92

and there'll likely never be anything like it for a long-time to come, for at least two reasons

(1) areas close to city centers are now too highly prized by real estate developers and young professionals -- which means that students/wanderers/artists/drop-outs will lack critical mass

(2) the actual architecture of the crescents -- architectural design award winner when first built, then crime-and-rat-infested urban nightmare, then bizarre acid house utopian housing structure

As many of the people of the residents would have been newcomers, how did they establish themselves as unmuggable? Sounds like there's a lot of potential for the muggers to pick on one half of the residents but leave out others. Which raises the question why would you want to live in a community where it's so hard to be accepted (assuming it was). And presumably the muggers were residents as well?

Noah Baby Food

(1) areas close to city centers are now too highly prized by real estate developers and young professionals -- which means that students/wanderers/artists/drop-outs will lack critical mass

Nowadays, I would put students alongside the 'young professionals', not in the wanderers/artists/drop-out category, sadly. An area like that would be highly prized by estate developers, to build 'luxury apartments' with broadband, flat screen TVs, en-suite bathrooms and a secure car-park, to rent to brand-new-car-driving plummy-vowelled students for about 90 quid a week...that's what's happening to our 'urban spaces' these days!

I was in Manc from 94-98 and there were still some remnants of old skool Hulme then, but it had pretty much died out by then and the redevelopment had started. Let's see if Shane Meadows or someone wants to make a film about it, that would be sweet.

crackerjack

Pedantic point, but Epping Walk wasn't part of the crescents - opposite sides of the Parkway iirc.

There were, though, parties all over the place. The biggest, best known and most constant was The Kitchen in Charles Barry Cres (all 4 were named after the famous Bath/Edinburgh architects), a recording studio which got knocked through into the next door flat, run by a guy called Jamie (and if anyone knows what happened to him, i'd love to hear) and the scene of free post-club all-night do's that ran throughout 88-90. By the end it got a bit dark - the vibe changed, the studio got robbed, Jamie left, admission was charged and the music switched from house to swing/R&B.

I lived there from 87-91 and, yes, I got mugged in the first few months but never again. Maybe I'd acquired the necessary Hulme glare, or maybe it was switching from a crap thinning mop to a skinhead that did it. By the time I left the place was teeming with crusties and most of the flats were boarded up.

People used to pass them among themselves - the 'black market' was largely free in my day, and semi-legit. When I moved in I went down the housing office, told them the previous tenant had moved out (he was still livng there) and had the tenancy signed over to my name no questons asked. They even encouraged me to get a doley to move in and switch it to their name so we could get the whole rent paid by housing benefit (paid for by cetnral govt rather than council).

the elevated path ways connecting the crescents were over-run withs rats and other vermin

Can honestly say I never saw a rat - cockroaches, yes, once I moved to Salter Sq (they never bothered us in the crescents cos they were too damn cold), but no rats. I was more bothered by the dogs, the Hounds of Hulme, who used to roam free. it's not nice having to walk past a snarling beast on a walkway 5 feet wide.

Leave you with one story about the place - walking past Robert Adam Cres one day and a very glazed looking hippy leans over the balcony.

Him: Got the time mate?

Me: 7.00

(slight delay) Morning or evening?

Evening.

(looks very confused) What day?

crackerjack

I should add, if only cos this is officially a music thread, that when Voodoo Ray broke into the charts Gerald was living three doors from me. I've never felt so cool since.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I used to visit every week from 87 to 90 to go the the Ritz and the Number One club, and never saw a rat, but yeah the Hounds were scary. Never got mugged in Hulme but a gang of 5 year olds tried it on in Mossside outside an offy which was very scary. I remember the time a horse appeared out of nowhere one day, wandering around, I still wonder if it ever got a squat.

Last edited:

Transpontine

history is made at night
Psv

Never lived in Manchester, did have friends living in Hulme at one time (not in the Crescents though), when I went to stay with them the main place we went was the PSV, an African-Caribbean club, downstairs there was a dancefloor. Remember a few nights there in the late 80s, music if I remember was a mix of funk/rare groove/electro/house.

crackerjack

Yeah, the PSV Saturday nights became something of an institution. £1 in until about 1990. Buggers did used to play the same records every week though - you could set your watch by I Believe In Miracles or Superstition.

In a previous life the PSV was the Russell, birthplace of Factory's club nights (and managed in the 24 Hour movie by Peter Kay).

scottdisco

rip this joint please
a lot of the flour bags from milling places were invaluable piled up in area churches and factories during WWII as added protection from German bombers. (my grandfather, Hulme born and bred, remembers this as a young man.)