Pop Song Of The Year

swears

preppy-kei
Nelly Furtado: Say It Right

Lovely melancholy tune. I absolutely hated her "Like a Bird" phase a few years back, really annoying hippy pop. Who'd have known she'd be so good now?

mos dan

fact music
seems a bit bland tbh.. still waiting for the crack-like addiction to set in.

'i'm a flirt' remix plus umbrella are pretty high up there for me..

sam

magical drop
doesn't compare to umbrella for me... dull, simplistic production and irritating use of autotune

Chris

fractured oscillations
Oh yeah, this song is all over the place here in CA. I really liked it at first, but yeah, they are starting to play it to death....

To be honest I'm a bit surprised the guy's Jamacian... couldn't quite place his accent... but I kind of guessed he'd be from some Latin American country. There's this obsession among a lot of Latino's with oldies and 50s music/culture, and this song is massive with the Mexicans out here.

Nelly Furtado's Say it Right... love it. It's almost a freestyle song (as in the late 80s dance genre)... which is fine by me. I suppose it is about that time for people to start drawing from the late 80s. I'd personally be all for seeing dance and club pop in America completely remove itself from a lot of the rnb cliches' it's been stuck in and perhaps get more latin or something... (but not J-Lo, Shakira, Ricky Martin generic faux-latin, of course)

N

nomadologist

(OMG Freestyle! Love it! There's a new comp being sold over infomercials that I really want...)

N

nomadologist

There's this obsession among a lot of Latino's with oldies and 50s music/culture, and this song is massive with the Mexicans out here.

I have definitely noticed this. Do you have any idea why?

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
secret shame, the Feeling. i have been known to like powerpop. there, i said it. jellyfish, crowded house, beatles-inspired melody in general. this sean kingston track makes me think of 60's soul

Chris

fractured oscillations
(OMG Freestyle! Love it! There's a new comp being sold over infomercials that I really want...)

I heart freestyle...

I have definitely noticed this. Do you have any idea why?

With Mexicans in Southern California, it just seems to compliment a style that the've had going back almost to the 30s... the greased hear, the car culture, etc. One of the reasons Morrisey lived in LA all those years was because he has such a huge following with Mexicans (and the goths) out here, and I think the main appeal to them is his style. My high school was about 80% Mexican (probably more so by now), and at the time, in addition to the shaved-head, big white t-shirt, baggy-kakis, and Adidas, gangsta lowrider culture... we had the "rebels", these Mexican prettyboys with greased back hair, trimmed eye-brows, rolled up t-shirts, tight jeans, etc... who listened to Elvis, Morrisey, and rockabilly. There's also a Mexican love for (their own take on) "old school", out here, like Zapp and Roger, Fingazz' "Cutie Pie", TTC's "Genius of Love", etc, which also always includes a lot of 50s oldies on the comps.

There's a 50s kitsche obsession that also extends into LA, OC, and Long Beach punk and goth culture... the girls with the 50s bangs, the irish punk dudes with the leather jackets and greased back hair and sideburns, etc... was never my style but I don't mind it all. Seems to be an ever-present element in Southern California culture.

Is there any 50s worship with the Puerto Ricans out in NY?

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Boricua!~~~!

In Brooklyn, there are very few Puerto Ricans into anything but hip-hop and reggaeton. There are tons of Mexican goths and metalheads, though! And angsty Mexican half-goths who are into The Cure.

As my boyfriend always says, "where there's a chorus effect on a guitar or keyboard, mexicans are sure to follow!"

Chris

fractured oscillations
Nice... so true. We have tons of those goth-ish Mexicans who are all about the Cure and Morrisey (as opposed to the white goth/industrial types who are into "futurepop"... VNV Nation etc)... goth seems to be a refuge for a lot gay Mexicans too who don't quite want to come out yet (it is a "macho" culture), not to stereotype, but that's what I've seen a lot.

N

nomadologist

You're totally right--and I think it's a "subculture", not a "stereotype."

zhao

there are no accidents
zzcolombiathegoldenag_101b.jpg

70s music, but just reissued and made available. hottest thing i heard all year.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
this sean kingston track makes me think of 60's soul

Yeah, it's a sample - or sounds like one - from The Drifters 'Under The Boardwalk' - and he's def referencing all that stuff.

I juts like the fact that even though the 'girl' in the song conforms to the girl as too good looking/can't be touched/is a bitch stereotype thing, he finds himself suicidal over it. I don't think I've ever heard a black guy singing about suicide before. And I'd love to see 100,000 people all singing 'SUICIDAL! SUICIDAL!' gleefully in a stadium somewhere, it would make me all tingly. As a call and response tune, it's subversive.

I would really like Sizzla or someone to do a

Roots reply just slating the guy for being suicidal over gal...yeah that would be good lol
definitely catchy though