Straight Up On The Columbo Tip

mms

sometimes
As said in various pre 2000's hip hop records

What does it mean, is it standing with a hunch on?

N

nomadologist

"straight up" just means "completely" or totally or very or really. kind of. it's hard to explain out of context.

N

nomadologist

it's a joke, most likely.

which song is this? i'd want to see the lyrics in context

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah i know that but what why would you boast about being a detective on a rap record?

He's like a zen master detective tho, isn't he? Psyching people out by appearing to be all doddery and then BAMN he's made 'em give the game away.

Columbo is awesome. :cool:

elgato

I just dont know
He's like a zen master detective tho, isn't he? Psyching people out by appearing to be all doddery and then BAMN he's made 'em give the game away.

the real question is who wouldnt want to claim to be on a columbo-tip

no it is kind of unusual given his humble approach rather than the flamboyant, overtly confident, masculine paradigm usually popular with mcs

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

yup this is i think what they're alluding to. plus it's funny because it's a show all the geriatrics watch

N

nomadologist

the real question is who wouldnt want to claim to be on a columbo-tip

no it is kind of unusual given his humble approach rather than the flamboyant masculinity usually popular with mcs

actually, i think a lot more "boasting" is done in a tongue-in-cheek way than some people pick up on

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Loads of old school hip hop records.
i thought it might be standing in that mad hunched style too, flexing columbo style

:) :)

maybe it's wearing a dirty mac, and only having one eye, like a crackhead. M.A.S.H was on at least two channels on TV every day in the US last week, it was kinda weird in the war context, have they run out of propaganda?

elgato

I just dont know
i thought it might be standing in that mad hunched style too, flexing columbo style

:) :)

that'd be so good were it true

thank you for this thread, the wonderful union of two of the things closest to my teenage heart :) :) :)

N

nomadologist

maybe it's wearing a dirty mac, and only having one eye, like a crackhead. M.A.S.H was on at least two channels on TV every day in the US last week, it was kinda weird in the war context, have they run out of propaganda?

ha. MASH was on?? I haven't seen it on in years, though when I was a kid it was the only thing in syndication practically. I remember being embarrassed by all the innuendo and being grossed out by "Hot Lips" Houlihan

gumdrops

its like... yknow, being really sharp, sussing people out, not getting fooled or fucked about... figuring out whats what and whos who and whos a fake and whos real and down with you etc etc.

i think.

the mac thing is important too though.

as is the looking slightly out of it like you dont really know whats going on when you in fact do.

but the mac is paramount.

hence, mac dre, mac mall and cj mac.

all rabid columbo fans.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
ha. MASH was on?? I haven't seen it on in years, though when I was a kid it was the only thing in syndication practically. I remember being embarrassed by all the innuendo and being grossed out by "Hot Lips" Houlihan

It was everywhere, like retro-TV scabies. So weird, I couldn't work out whether it was propaganda, a comment on the war or whether the rental prices are just really cheap for it, maybe the copyright's fallen through lol.

N

nomadologist

I wouldn't be surprised--also, if it was daytime TV, that's the problem. Daytime TV in the U.S. is unbearably terrible.

STN

sou'wester
Sorry for derail, and I think there may have been a thread for this sort of thing already, but on that Clipse album, why are they always banging on about 'Mr Lee'? Or have I just misheard it?