Team America: World Police

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Did I miss something? Why is nobody talking about this.

Very, very funny obviously. Some great set-pieces (the 'love' scene, the montage song).

A surprisingly nuanced work and quite an emotional journey, unfeasably. Sick and puerile humour with a serious intent. I even found it quite 'healing', having spent the last however many years in an unhealthy state of fear and loathing over the American government's attitude to the rest of the world. It is not as anti-US as you might expect. Appologetic, yes, but hopeful and redemptive. Have I been duped? I should think Craner would find much to appreciate here.

Even if there is a hidden agenda, we need stuff like this right now.

Dubquixote

Submariner
I think the reason why the media has been timid about covering this movie is because of its barely disguised anti-liberal, and even patriotic position. Let's face it, any movie with Michael Moore as suicide bomber isn't likely to win many friends in Hollywood (or New York). The depiction of the cry-baby Hollywood elite and UN council as sympathetic to Kim Jong Il were brutal as well...

Hilarious nonetheless, and I'm in complete agreement on the vomiting!

mind_philip

saw the light
Unbelievable. South Park is brilliant. It's one of those programs that makes me laugh so hard the back of my head hurts.

nick.K

gabba survivor
i'm worried this'll be a re-tread of the South Park feature, tell me I'm wrong.

+ would it be just as effective on DVD, or does it need the cinema?

noel emits

I didn't see it in the cinema ;) but i think it would be fascinating to experience in a packed house. just to see people's reactions. visually it probly wouldn't make much difference.

i like south park too. sick yuks are fun. do find it odd that they still seem to have some sacred cows re national pride or something. i remember finding the afghanistan episode a bit uncomfortable to watch. but as a non-us resident it's interesting to see ostensibly anarchic comdiens/satirists who are not afraid to say that maybe there is something to appreciate in the idea of America after all - just not in the present usurping administrators.

still, this film could just as easily have been dreamed up on luka's neo-con strategy thread.

mind_philip

saw the light
It's not quite as funny as the South Park movie, which is one of my favorite comedies (up there with Spinal Tap in terms of laughs per minute). One of the key differences, and a definite reason to see it is the physical comedy of the puppets, which are done brilliantly. Kim Jong Il's belly alone is a masterpiece.

The film is a dogshit. I walked out after an hour (about an hour ago) - I was holding out for the much-vaunted sex scene. Kim Jong's singing was the final straw.

Seriously, why is this film getting such positive reviews? It's awful.

noel emits

you do realise it's supposed to be awful in that among other things it's lampooning lots of terrible film cliches and poking respectful fun at the whole gerry/sylvia anderson marionette style? right, course you do.

Noel Emits said:
you do realise it's supposed to be awful in that among other things it's lampooning lots of terrible film cliches and poking respectful fun at the whole gerry/sylvia anderson marionette style? right, course you do.

Yes, but who cares, it's still so very shit. I never like the Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Muffin the Mule, Andy Pand or any of that old bollocks anyway. So I should consider this entertainment? Satire? What? It's just not very funny, clever, successful.

The film doesn't so much insult the audience's intelligence as take it outside, behead it and burn the remains. Cheeeeeeeers for that.