UR Back on form!

I just got the Electronic Warfare V2.0 triple pack.

I had just about given up on UR, the music getting worse and the hypocrisy of going on about sticking it to the man whilst screwing their fans with alternate B-sides over different formats, CD-only tracks, etc etc.

But this is a real return to form, best thing they've done for yonks, not really breaking loads of new ground but consolidating the Hi-Tech Funk sound nicely with lots of slamming electro-ey stuff ad a nice 4/4 track too.

If there were more records like this coming out I wouldn't play so many oldies in my DJ sets!

bassnation

the abyss
I just got the Electronic Warfare V2.0 triple pack.

I had just about given up on UR, the music getting worse and the hypocrisy of going on about sticking it to the man whilst screwing their fans with alternate B-sides over different formats, CD-only tracks, etc etc.

But this is a real return to form, best thing they've done for yonks, not really breaking loads of new ground but consolidating the Hi-Tech Funk sound nicely with lots of slamming electro-ey stuff ad a nice 4/4 track too.

If there were more records like this coming out I wouldn't play so many oldies in my DJ sets!

i take it theres less of the wine bar jazz funk nonsense and more interesting techno then? otherwise i'm not parting with my hard-earned cash - ur are too much of a risk to buy on sight these days.

ur are too much of a risk to buy on sight these days

I quite agree.
Go an have a listen, I think it's good.
It's not banging techno tho, it's electro-ish.
You might like it you liked The Swarm or Interstellar Crime Report or The Turing Point or Analog Assassin etc etc.
Don't expect Seawolf, Death Star etc!

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
Not heard this new stuff yet, but the Mad Mike 'Hi-Tech Dreams' 12" that was out a few months back is one of my fave releases this year. Maybe they really are back on track.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master

That's a pretty dark picture you're painting of them there Edward, I'm a fan, I've got loads of UR stuff but nothing you mention above rings true for me, can you give me some examples?

Well, music getting worse is a subjective thing so I won't say anything. And I don't want to be on a forum slaggin off what I consider to be one of the best labels of all time.

I made the post to big them up on what I think is a good release, and I'm a massive fan at least of their first 15 years.

Since you ask, here are a few examples of what I think are betrayals of fans:

Interstellar Fugitives 2 being on CD and vinyl with extra tracks on the CD which are only available to customers direct from their SID store in detroit or their mail order company Submerge, so if you want the good tracks on vinyl you have to buy a double LP, 2 7"s and 2 or 3 12"s, most of which you will be hard pushed to find in the UK.

Ma Ya Ya released on stupid 7" format and then a few months later once all the fans have bought it they release it on 12" with a different B side.

Aquanauts released on 7" and 12" with different B side, see also UR -Actuator, Unknown Soldier - Hesitation etc etc.

I mean it's not beyond the pale, but it's what EMI would do, not what I expect from UR. In the old days they would put 3 or 4 tracks on a 12, now you have to buy 2 formats to get all the tracks.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Well, music getting worse is a subjective thing so I won't say anything. And I don't want to be on a forum slaggin off what I consider to be one of the best labels of all time.

I made the post to big them up on what I think is a good release, and I'm a massive fan at least of their first 15 years.

I know fella, I was pulling you up in a friendly techno bobby way :)

Since you ask, here are a few examples of what I think are betrayals of fans:

Interstellar Fugitives 2 being on CD and vinyl with extra tracks on the CD which are only available to customers direct from their SID store in detroit or their mail order company Submerge, so if you want the good tracks on vinyl you have to buy a double LP, 2 7"s and 2 or 3 12"s, most of which you will be hard pushed to find in the UK. .

Mike has always said that certain things will only be available to people that come out to the D and call by, fair enough I reckon and they need that direct contact, it makes a difference. Without our little store I know we, Dust Science, would be fucked.

Ma Ya Ya released on stupid 7" format and then a few months later once all the fans have bought it they release it on 12" with a different B side.

Aquanauts released on 7" and 12" with different B side, see also UR -Actuator, Unknown Soldier - Hesitation etc etc.

The 7inch idea never worked, the idea was to make things cheap so people could or would take a flyer on them but it didn't work. I liked the idea tho.

I mean it's not beyond the pale, but it's what EMI would do, not what I expect from UR. In the old days they would put 3 or 4 tracks on a 12, now you have to buy 2 formats to get all the tracks.

I don't think they are doing it anymore cos it didn't work and all the heads wanted the 12" versions and I agree with the idea that S.I.Ds and other 12's are only available direct.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Hehehe I had someone offer to pick me up all the stuff I have missing but I'm holding out until I get out there again...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Martin should tell the story about the Barcelona gig :)

Haha everyone already knows I'm a techno fan boy, I don't need to make it any worse by klanging names mate - however, I am still buzzing about it :) Sometimes music for me is just the best fucking thing in the world.