Garry for Mayor

Obviously he's a total wasteman....

but it doesn't look as bad as the conservatives does it?

boris johnson anyone?

martin

----
Unfortunately, some people seem to be under the impression Johnson's an amusing, eccentric and harmless buffoon, rather than a devious, manipulative, violently anti-working class shyster who'd make Nixon blush from beneath the daisies. I suspect there'll be some 'ha ha, what a wheeze' support for him among the City workers so thick they actually think Ken's a 'commie'

john eden

male pale and stale
The English Democrats stuff about the traditional family being the backbone of the country and "Christian Values" is worrying, but also marks them out as total no-hopers.

Quite weird that they have completely fudged morality issues like fox hunting and abortion.

crackerjack

Unfortunately, some people seem to be under the impression Johnson's an amusing, eccentric and harmless buffoon,

He is. Just cos his politics suck doesn't make him dangerous, or unamusing.

If the Tories want to look like a right-wing Monster Raving Loony Party, all the better.

IdleRich

IdleRich
He is. Just cos his politics suck doesn't make him dangerous, or unamusing.
Not sure about that, my guess is that he has more chance of getting in and putting those politics in to practice than any other candidate the tories could have put up ( that I can think of off the top of my head at least). Of course, I could be wrong and when it comes to the crunch no-one will vote for him but for the moment he is at least potentially dangerous.
Though yes, he is amusing.

"The tories don't look a party of the right to me!"
No, but they wouldn't would they?

crackerjack

Not sure about that, my guess is that he has more chance of getting in and putting those politics in to practice than any other candidate the tories could have put up

I only meant he isn't dangerous because he isn't electable. Until such time as he wields serious power I'm happy to regard him as a figure of fun.

Personally I thought Norris was a credible candidate. People might like Boris - even I do - but I can't see him getting through a long campaign without making it very obviouss just how unsuitable he is for a proper job.

crackerjack

D'you reckon? I know peple who straight away said that they will vote for him and I know it doesn't directly translate in to votes but he's getting loads of publicity already, he's one of the few visible tories that everyone doesn't hate and Mike Read is going to vote for him

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/mike_read/2007/07/im_backing_boris.html

That's two votes in the bag then.

http://unityispowerful.blogspot.com/2007/04/mrs-mike-read-i-love-you.html

tbh, I think the initial rection was bound to be slightly favourable, because his bumbling personality is so different to the norm. I just don't think people seriously want a cartoon character to run London.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I just don't think people seriously want a cartoon character to run London.

No, I agree. All the Boris fans I've spoken to since he announced have said something along the lines of, 'politics needs characters, but anyone who''d put Boris Johnson in charge of London is out of thier minds. Keep him on HIGNFY where he's funny and harmless.'

Plus there's Ken, feeling a bit jaded after 2 terms in power - put him up aganst a moderate tory with council experience, and his will to win might not ultimately be enough. But give him the chance to publicly humiliate an old etonain toff, and he'll be pounding that campaign trail.

Between his own gift for causing offence, Ken's class hatred and the new post-Blair mood in favour of quiet competence (not that Ken's exactly quiet, but...) - Boris is going to get mullered. The Torys should pick someone else if they've got any sense.

mos dan

fact music
what is it exactly about bushell's face that is so immediately upsetting? i think it might be the width/shape of his jaw.