kano - new album 'london town'

gumdrops

sampler should have leaked by now

its not 'straight up' hip hop (whatever that might mean in 2007) but its definitely not grime

grime influenced somewhat, yup - mikey j is producing (hes pretty good, got some good ideas/sounds), but its just a bit tired overall

and kate nash AND craig david AND damon albarn!?!?!?!

whyyy?

tomd

penis like a micromachine
Kano could hold the album himself. However, take Dizzee with Lilly Allen, a girl I know wouldn't know what rinse, deja or boy in the corner is, yet she loves Lilly Allen and is bumping the new Dizzee tune.

Was talking to another chick who was saying shes heard Craig David is going to be the new Kano album. She asked me when it was coming out. Just this morning yet another indie fan had Kate Nash on in her car.

Im not sure what im saying about Kano really, all im thinking is the fact he's bought a different variety of artists in on his tracks will attract attention from ignorant people who "know what they like". Some call this selling out, I myself will always admire Kano for his determination to win.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
i'm totally convinced by kano's 'i'm a musical artist, not a grime mc' shtick (even though i don't accept it from dizzee - double standards lol). kate nash might be a step too far though.

i interviewed him in current issue of dazed if anyone wants to know. not heard the album at all though. his mixtape is totally under-rated.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
The Kano mixtape is amazing though, it really re-ignited my interest in Kano, but it did feel like a "let's appease all my grime fans before I go pop" move.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Listening to Layercake- has Kano's flow (alright, not the flow per se, but the timbre of his voice, the way he bends vowels) become even more American? Or is that just me?

gumdrops

i think his flow or timbre or *something* quite substantial about him sounds like hes been listening to a bit too much jay-z or lil wayne in the last few years. he must be well and truly out of the grime loop.

xxpost - whoever said theyre glad hes in it to win it, i mean, great, im pleased he will be reaching craig david, kate nash, and er gorillaz and blur fans (well sort of pleased, not sure whats so great about that personally, beyond it making great marketing sense - the appeal of these songs surely rests not on kano, but on his guests, which ultimately seems a bit of a backfire IMO) but if the tracks that result from it arent too hot, then whats the point? kate nashs crappy london accent just sounds shit, craig david sounds quite lacklustre, weirdly, its the albarn cameo thats the best - pretty minimal, and not too intrusive, not a typical 'big guest star chorus'.

worst of all has to be the ACOUSTIC guitar cover of police and thieves.

it's the typical US (mainstream) rapper move

The Kano mixtape is amazing though, it really re-ignited my interest in Kano, but it did feel like a "let's appease all my grime fans before I go pop" move.

album for the streets and all that...which fully illustrates that Kano stopped being an MC and became a rapper a long time ago - remember Beats and Bars with the 'real' and 'stark' black and white photography lol?

but I am being unfair...like Dizzee he's doing what he feels to do and bars wise does still connect with man so I dunno...it's a lil' depressing but the way things are now...standard

saying that can someone start a thread about Lethal's album...my brain's a bit deadout right now

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo

This comment makes me think you haven't even listened to it. On the entire CD there is precisely 7 minutes of Grime.

Cornflake

that mixtape did nothing for me at all. I listen to grime more than anything because to me its fresh. Its something different, the beats get me going and the hunger the mcs put forth on a track cant compare to anything being put out over here on this side of the pond in my opinion.

When an artist like Kano or Dizzee switches it up and wants to do the "artist" thing it totally gets away from what i want to hear. The beats bore me, and i really dont care to hear anyone spit over a Jay Z beat. Problem for me when artists used famous hip hop beats is that i have the lyrics so imprinted in my brain that anything else doesnt sound right, no matter how good it is.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
This comment makes me think you haven't even listened to it. On the entire CD there is precisely 7 minutes of Grime.

Now come on Logan, that's a foolish comment, of course I've heard it. Now I'm not going to try to get into definititions of what is and isn't grime - because I think it's a hiding to nothing with KA or The Movement, it's that unclear - but The Mixtape is clearly an underground release, compared to his new pop single with Craig David - as you yourself keep saying on your show.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
The mixtape is grime, but it's Kano, all his style. Doesn't sound like other grime people and that's a good thing. I love the mixtape - think it might be even better than Soul Food.

BTW, Mr Me Too from the mixtape is, apparently, a word-for-word cover of a Clipse track, according to the guy at the next desk. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me.

gumdrops

i thought the layer cake mixtape was pretty dire, really. he sounds really lacking for inspiration. all he seems to do now is overdo the aggression in his voice and even the content. just sounds like unimaginative tough guy talk. i know hes done plenty of rhymes about guns etc in the past but now it just seems quite forced, or just unnecesarily 'hard'. the agility in his flow isnt really there as a result. maybe i will DL the mix-cd again but neither of his mix cds have been as good as i hoped - beats and bars probably caught him at a better point MCing wise, but it was all hip hop beats and they dont do much for him IMO. if kano really wanted to do a mix cd for 'the streets', id like to hear him do something like a pirate session and release that. his mix cds and albums just seem two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I just looked at Clipse's lyrics for Mr Me Too - Kano has rewritten most of them while keeping to the original rhyming structure. That's bloody clever.

This thread is so predictably Dissensus... just ...

"They hate ya
When you're signed to a major...
Can't a black boy make money any more?"

Apparently not. They love em when they're suffering, they hate 'em when they make some money. Get back to the ghetto Kano and we might respect you, or, better yet, die.

Same old same old.

boomnoise

♫
In damon albarn and craig david they seem to have chosen two fairly jokes figures in music. Is it Kano's sense of humour?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Now come on Logan, that's a foolish comment, of course I've heard it. Now I'm not going to try to get into definititions of what is and isn't grime - because I think it's a hiding to nothing with KA or The Movement, it's that unclear - but The Mixtape is clearly an underground release, compared to his new pop single with Craig David - as you yourself keep saying on your show.

The entire mixtape bar 2 tracks is not Grime.

I can do a tune by tune breakdown for you if you like? You must have FWD flyers in your ears if you think those American hip hop instrumentals he is spitting on are in any way Grime.

I find it difficult to accept you are actually being serious when you sy this is a Grime mixtape. There are no Grime beats on there aside from the Scandalous Unltd and Skepta tracks.

Black boy from london rapping DOES NOT equal Grime. Educate yourselves a bit before you label music please. It is clear 2stepfan and Blackdown don't even recognise the source of half of the beats on the CD.