Who else thinks this is so true?

crackerjack

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/07/dying_fall_why_mark_e_smiths_m.html

I haven't really felt The Fall's new stuff since about 87-88 (and I used to buy everything). There's been good albums since (Extricate) and I'll admit to not paying his 90s records much heed, but when Smith turned The Fall (whose music was always about space and surprises) into a garage band they lost it for me.

Smith, though, seems to have that Macca/Dylan cachet with critics, where any half decent record is hailed as a primetime masterpiece.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
sure, maybe they're never going to match the wired weird heights if late 70's early 80's but the last one i heard, The Unnameable, had some truly extraordinairy barrier battering tunes (Cyber Insect, Dr Bucks Letter etc.) and what about the Von Sudenfeld thing too?

Sure, who would check out every album but he is at the very least unpredictable and its this unpredicability that will always occasionally chuck up weird new shapes and that occasionalism is enough for me. And as for ending the Fall? Shouldn't The Guardian equally end its music blog coverage as its so phenomenally fucking embarrasing that my long deceased cat seems more eloquent, and he couldn't even write. Or hear for that matter.

I'ld take musical advice from fucking Dane Bowers before i pay attention to the Guardian

:rolleyes:

crackerjack

what about the Von Sudenfeld thing too?

I need to listen to that again since I appear to be in a minority of one. First (and second and third) impression was that it was a bit like Dr Octagon 2 - a great vocalist working in
2nd gear and relying on his star name. But with worse music.

He's not saying that Smith is a burnt-out wreck, just that he's not stretching himself and that his wilful hiring and firing means he's effectively playing with session musicians.

crackerjack

I'ld take musical advice from fucking Dane Bowers before i pay attention to the Guardian

The Guardian actually has lots of fine music writers - it's just their editors think their yoof policy is best served by putting Doherty and Allen on the web home page whenever possible.

Kate Mossad

I went to see The Fall play last night and they were excellent. Full stop. Michael Hann is a fool. I know I shouldn't stoop to personal abuse but just look at him. Christ!
@crackerjack, make that a minority of two. I'd pay good money to hear MES do something with Pan Sonic though.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Michael Hann is a fool. I know I shouldn't stoop to personal abouse but just look at him. Christ!

As a fellow ginger (or would be if there was any left) I should stick up for him. But I can't, you're right.

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
Yeah that guy's opinion is worthless, but nevertheless, I lost interest in The Fall long ago. It's a myth inside Smith's own mind that he is the be all and end all of what made them good. The likes of Scanlon and Hanley and Smith's ex made a huge contribution to the records by The Fal that I liked so much in the 80's. His lyrical schtick no longer surprises, he's becoming a sad old drunk and his youth club bands sound bloody turgid. Smith is someone I used to admire, but I've just got no time for him or his music nowadays.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
michael_hann.jpg

The fact a man who looks like that edits anything which is meant to be remotely cool is the very reason why the Guardian can suck my cock.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
hey, come on... enough with the personal attacks folks. i've not had much to do with michael hann at all, but found him to be a thoroughly personable and decent guy when i did have occasion to speak to him. i've never heard a single fall record by choice (tv, peel, friends etc saw that i did under sufferance, though) and couldn't care less about them. sorry to explode everyone's idealised preconceptions of the glamorous world of journalism, too, but working on a newspaper really isn't like opening the pages of vogue. in fact, most of us are pretty average-looking and not that cool at all.

Last edited: