lethal bizzle - back to bizznizz

gumdrops

ive not heard this yet but theres a guardian review here - http://music.guardian.co.uk/urban/reviews/story/0,,2130098,00.html. not sure what this is going to be like - do i really need to hear grindie mashups from le bizzle for a whole album? the reviewer has a good point though about bizzle always sounding like a thicko though - he does make me laugh but theres no way you can take him seriously anymore. and he obviously knows it, which is either genius or just makes him even more of a thicko.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A young black man? Rapping about money, aggro, violence, guns and misogyny? I've never heard of such a thing! How terribly innovative!

Edit: I don't listen to grime, or anything much rap-related at all really, but (quite apart from the offensive dickheadedness of the lyrics themselves) isn't the whole money-guns-bitches-'respek' thing just really fucking tired now? I mean, isn't it hip-hop's equivalent of stadium rock's driving-into-the-Californian-sunset-in-a-big-open-top-car-with-a big-titted-blonde, or black metal bands wibbling on about orcs and Satan?

Last edited:
There are probably three songs on the album I can still listen to, it leaked two/three weeks ago? That's not a good ratio.

That Selfridges song is laughable as well.

crackerjack

A young black man? Rapping about money, aggro, violence, guns and misogyny? I've never heard of such a thing! How terribly innovative!

Edit: I don't listen to grime, or anything much rap-related at all really, but (quite apart from the offensive dickheadedness of the lyrics themselves) isn't the whole money-guns-bitches-'respek' thing just really fucking tired now? I mean, isn't it hip-hop's equivalent of stadium rock's driving-into-the-Californian-sunset-in-a-big-open-top-car-with-a big-titted-blonde, or black metal bands wibbling on about orcs and Satan?

Yeah it is - fucking tired. But having heard LB's LP, there's a lot more to it lyrically than that - in fact that stuff probably accounts for a tiny handful of tracks. Journos invariably pick up on them though, because it's what they expect to hear and it's an easy ref point for people who are just reading the review to hear about the babyshambles track.

I don't think it's a brilliant album, by any means - but it shouldn't be boiled down to the laziest cliches in rap.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fair enough - that's the impression I got from the review, that's all.
And there is an awful lot of it about...

crackerjack

Fair enough - that's the impression I got from the review, that's all.
And there is an awful lot of it about...

lethal bizzle's first album was like that, but he's made a conscious (cynically motivated, perhaps) decision to reach beyond that with Back To Bizznizz. And just when he tries to get out...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
His name reminds me of this:

Q: Why does Snoop Dogg carry an umbrella?
A: Fo' drizzle!

Which inspired me to come up with:

Q: Why does Snoop Dogg board the train at Weston-Super-Mare?
A: Fo' Brizzle!

tht

akstavrh
are there any subjects that you feel unable to comment upon sight unseen? seems like every third post on these forums is a dismissive inanity concerning something you know almost nothing about

crackerjack

are there any subjects that you feel unable to comment upon sight unseen? seems like every third post on these forums is a dismissive inanity concerning something you know almost nothing about

Yeah, stop brightening the place up with your glib remarks and general air of levity, Mr Tea. Shame on you.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Well what's the point in someone posting a review if I can't comment on the impressions I get from the review?
In any case, my comments stand as a general observation on this kind of music.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Well what's the point in someone posting a review if I can't comment on the impressions I get from the review?
In any case, my comments stand as a general observation on this kind of music.

observations based on little or no data tend to be relatively uninteresting

tht

akstavrh
Well what's the point in someone posting a review if I can't comment on the impressions I get from the review

pls don't go all 'can't' as if i can or want to silence you

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just read the whole review, that's not 'no data'.

Edit: and surely you don't have to have an extensive hip-hop collection to know that a hell of a lot of it revolves around guns, money and 'hos? I mean, have you seen MTV lately?

Last edited:

crackerjack

In this case though, Tea's comments should be of interest to anyone who cares about the financial health of grime and hip hop. The perception - right or wrong - that it boils down to young black males banging on about guns & bitches is one of the main reasons why that music currently sells fuck all.

If you're just gonna sneer at people who haven't passed their grime test, fine - but don't complain when the music never breaks out of the mixtape/white label/rwd impasse.

petergunn

plywood violin
In this case though, Tea's comments should be of interest to anyone who cares about the financial health of grime and hip hop. The perception - right or wrong - that it boils down to young black males banging on about guns & bitches is one of the main reasons why that music currently sells fuck all.

thanks, dad...

28 Gun Nice Boy

If you're just gonna sneer at people who haven't passed their grime test, fine - but don't complain when the music never breaks out of the mixtape/white label/rwd impasse.

Yes, I agree, lazy dismissive racist sterotypes could be one of the reasons why the music doesn't sell very well.

crackerjack

Yes, I agree, lazy dismissive racist sterotypes could be one of the reasons why the music doesn't sell very well.

Good point. What with violence and misogyny scarcely figuring in rap lyrics and MCs never ever getting embroiled in murder cases it's incredible this stereotype still persists now that Bernard Manning has croaked.

gumdrops

guns, 'bitches', violence, etc arent the only thing grime mcs talk about (its worth noting they barely talk about women at all and its rarely ever how US rappers do it when they do) but there are quite a lot of mcs who seem to talk about those things almost every other line (footsie and DEE... kronik is quite 'fond' of the occasional gun lyric).

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

What's racist about it? Most rappers are black, are they not? I've criticized them for being sexist gun-obsessed twats, not for being black, but hey, don't let that get in the way of the opportunity to lazily slur someone...
As it happens, how do you know I'm not black?
*pities tha foo'*

Edit: haha, good point crackerjack!

Last edited: